Canada bans 1,500 types of assault firearms YES!

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
From the Canadian Coalition for Firearms Rights website.  I'm so glad that we have no right to bear arms in Canada:

"In a historic, sweeping ban, Justin Trudeau and Bill Blair have decimated the firearms industry in Canada. A segment that contributed over $8B to the GDP, employs over 40, 000 Canadians in 4500 small businesses across the country.

A staggering 1500 models and variants of rifles were wiped off the market today, with plans to confiscate them from legal owners who have done nothing to warrant such a far-reaching attack. This will impact hundreds of thousands of Canadians who have followed every rule and regulation asked of them, and committed no crime. Legal owners have a two year amnesty to decide if they will forfeit their property for compensation or deactivate them in order to keep them.

The list can be found on the government of Canada’s site: Canada Gazette

Trudeau and Blair used the horrific tragedy in Nova Scotia, a crime committed by an unlicensed criminal with illicit firearms, to prop up his failed policy.

They also circumvented democracy by using an OIC rather than legislation that would have required a debate, study of the issue and votes by parliamentarians.

The CCFR’s Rod Giltaca & Tracey Wilson will be attending a technical briefing today on request by the Minister of Public Safety.

Stay tuned for our course of action in the coming days."

I have to admit that I'm very suspicious with their statement that the segment employs over 40,000 Canadians. 
I'd be suspicious of every word. CCFR is our NRA. Very toothless though since nobody pays any attention to them except the gun nutters.

$8B? In Canada? Maybe if it was 99.9%exports.

I wonder if Dogballs wife's Dogballs is illegal now. :D

The whole thing is a tempest in a teapot here - there is little support for "People Killer" weapons or their Rambo fantasy lookalikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laker

Super Anarchist
PNW
What, I thought you were proud of the unilateral actions of your PM? Why change your angle on it now?

You just said an hour ago that decrees from the PM were acceptable, because it was a campaign promise.

He promised lots of things, macleans even has a handy list of them online - how many of them got implemented by a OIC?
In reality, in a Westminster form of government, I believe legally determining the type of firearm allowed even goes as far down as the deputy minister, let alone parliament.  If hunting rifles were banned, yes that impinges on treaties etc., but banning a defined firearm such as a Ruger 9mm, pffft.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
What we need to do now is regulate gun import to the point where each manufacturer must retroactively apply for an import permit for each model of weapon.  And set the importation permit fee at about $1M per permit, non-refundable and payable on application.  This will stop the mfr's (you can read that both ways) making minor tweaks to the design to try to circumvent the model restrictions.  

We don't need that shit here.  We just don't.  There are just too many irresponsible gun owners - I've been shot at on my mountain bike when riding with my son on a popular trail.  Redneck yahoos were taking pot shots into the forest without thinking what was in that forest.

Want to own guns as a hobby and not for hunting?  There's a whole big country that has that right guaranteed in their constitution, just a short car or plane ride away.  

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
There is no need for anyone who is not actively involved in the military to own, or use an assault rifle. They are not hunting rifles. They are definitely not target rifles. All they are is penis projection.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
There is no need for anyone who is not actively involved in the military to own, or use an assault rifle. They are not hunting rifles. They are definitely not target rifles. All they are is penis projection.
There's no reason to own a knife with a blade xx inches long either.it's a very slippery slope you're on. I hear city people all the time say no one needs pick up trucks too.

Laker

Super Anarchist
PNW
As someone who has a foot on both sides of the pasture and realizing it is a barbed wire fence, I see so many times that Canadians and US do not view each other as having significant differences in culture and acknowledging this difference as well as the similarities.  But this is also reflective of a great culture difference between Washington State and Alabama for instance.  Heck, at the moment a great cultural difference between Portland and Eastern Oregon.  The culture in Canada (and seemingly Portland) is anti-personal firearms except for hunting.  This culture difference shows in lower gun violence numbers, but in both instances seems to be the method of choice for depressed older males.  I would caution the US people here to realize that Second Amendment bullshit does not travel across the border.  Institutionally defense has always been a government prerogative and continues to be.  Militias are raised only in support of the government.  They also are raised in terms of proper equipment, not a bunch of infantry rifles.  

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
There's no reason to own a knife with a blade xx inches long either.it's a very slippery slope you're on. I hear city people all the time say no one needs pick up trucks too.
Smart people in the country say that, too. Fuckin' useless vroom-vroom machine.

I had a pick up truck when I needed one, it got the care accorded to any useful tool but after a few years it was not a shiny show-off piece. I don't have one now which looks a bit out of place in our neighborhood.

90% of the privately owned pick ups around here are driveway decorations, useful primarily for keeping the owner in debt and displaying the starz'n bars while playing boom-boom music at stop lights.

- DSK

bpm57

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
I hear city people all the time say no one needs pick up trucks too.
You really don't need a car at all. In fact, the only people who should be allowed to drive are trained gov't professionals working in emergency services or mass transit.

If you disagree with this, you just consider the ~36K deaths per year to be acceptable losses. 

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Banning 1500 variants of firearm is typical politician response and invites gaming the system.

You could address the vast majority by the application of 3 rules.

If it's a centrefire cartridge

AND

it has a removable magazine

AND

it's a semiauto action

It's banned.

Really simple to assess & apply and captures all the variants I can think of. Could be extended to pump action if manufacturers started gaming the system.

Note I don't specify magazine size because a removable mag, even if the factory only provides 5 round capacity, can always be easily upsized by the accessory manufacturers. A fixed magazine rifle is a lot harder & more obvious to modify and would be immediately illegal to own/use.

FKT

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
What we are trying to do is create a public mindset that these things are just unacceptable, completely.  I think that the mindset is just as important as the actual legislation. 
and the mindset is that gunz are for cowards . .

the gunz-humping posts above are astonishing . . 

from posters who are normally halfway sane .. 

People, gunz keep you safe just like the Sword of Damocles 

nukes keep you safe. 

Which is to say - not at all 

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
and the mindset is that gunz are for cowards . .

the gunz-humping posts above are astonishing . . 

from posters who are normally halfway sane .. 

People, gunz keep you safe just like the Sword of Damocles 

nukes keep you safe. 

Which is to say - not at all 
Having shot numerous coyotes that were ripping up local chickens, I'm going to have to say they do keep certain things safe.

Poison and trapping aren't any better options.

But FKT's suggestion wouldn't stop me from shooting coyote.  So I like it.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Having shot numerous coyotes that were ripping up local chickens, I'm going to have to say they do keep certain things safe.

Poison and trapping aren't any better options.

But FKT's suggestion wouldn't stop me from shooting coyote.  So I like it.
Nothing in the Canadian gun laws would either.

You just won't be able to pretend your some sort of Rambo badass at the same time - you'll just have to settle for a normal hunting rifle, not a pretend military weapon..

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
So bypassing parliament is acceptable for campaign promises?

So if I start looking at the status of liberal promises from the last campaign, I'll find that they were all just mandated by the PM?
Maybe you don't know how a minority Parliament works. Any of the opposition parties, there are four, can put forward a motion of non-confidence in the government. If the motion is approved by Parliament the Government falls and a new election happens. Since there are more opposition members than government members this could be possible - except that three of the opposition parties support strong gun controls, in some cases stronger than this. The only party that would support the motion is the Conservatives but it would be entirely tone-deaf for them to make such a motion at this time. Of course, the Conservatives have shown the ability to be tone deaf in the last few years but I suspect they would not want to move even further away from where most mainstream Canadians are.

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
Maybe you don't know how a minority Parliament works. Any of the opposition parties, there are four, can put forward a motion of non-confidence in the government. If the motion is approved by Parliament the Government falls and a new election happens.
trying to explain multi party consensus government and policies to a polarized 2 party advocate

yehh

good luck with that