Canada closed the wet Great Lakes Boarder.

jeff carver

Super Anarchist
river city
My understanding is that boats crossing Canada's water border will be required to check in regardless of whether they land or not. Our racing course in Buffalo is going to be changed because of this. A major pain in the butt.
It would be way more fun to phone them after every tack. Get all competitors to do this for one race, see if the policy stands.
i like that

My understanding is that boats crossing Canada's water border will be required to check in regardless of whether they land or not. Our racing course in Buffalo is going to be changed because of this. A major pain in the butt.
It would be way more fun to phone them after every tack. Get all competitors to do this for one race, see if the policy stands.
i like that
+50 to 100 every Tuesday and Wednesday

There is a treaty between Canada and the US that allows free access through each others waters if you don't land or anchor.

Last year in the Lake Ontario 300 on the south shore, a local NY Sheriff's boat rolled up alongside to check us out. We weren't flying an ensign but they could tell from our registration numbers we were from Ontario. We told them we were racing, we hadn't landed in the US, and the treaty allowed us unimpeded passage. (One of my crew even knew the name of the treaty and cited it.) They left us alone.

On the Canadian side, the authorities seem confused. At times we are told we don't have to report (per the treaty) but other officials, like those overseeing the LO 300, say we have to.

barleymalt

Super Anarchist
Michigan
FFS, it is a border, not a boarder..unless you piss them off. This comes up every year, and every year it is overblown. I have never been hassled by either country for sailing or racing crossing the borders back and forth for years If it actually happens, then worry about it.

NYBOZO1

Anarchist
the bastards changed it....gotta check in if you enter Canadian waters.

our club will have to change a couple of marks to get 'em out of Canadian waters.

what friggin BS!

sailflat

Super Anarchist
No NO NO... Your marks aren't the problem... It's the idiotic policy that is the problem.

Hand out a flyer to everyone racing so that they can report, perhaps multiple times that they are crossing the border.

Might be briefly annoying to each competitor to make the call but terribly annoying to CBP agency; gets the policy changed straight away..

the bastards changed it....gotta check in if you enter Canadian waters.

our club will have to change a couple of marks to get 'em out of Canadian waters.

what friggin BS!

jacksparrow

Anarchist
NY
FFS, it is a border, not a boarder..unless you piss them off. This comes up every year, and every year it is overblown. I have never been hassled by either country for sailing or racing crossing the borders back and forth for years If it actually happens, then worry about it.
Canadian authorities have made it clear they will be enforcing this, at least on the racing fleet, this summer. We're moving the club marks to avoid it. I'm more concerned withUS customs enforcing check ins for returns from Canada. Trying to find a working video phone after a week of racing is most annoying.

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
Canadian authorities have made it clear they will be enforcing this, at least on the racing fleet, this summer. We're moving the club marks to avoid it. I'm more concerned withUS customs enforcing check ins for returns from Canada. Trying to find a working video phone after a week of racing is most annoying.
Get a Nexus card, and make sure everyone on the boat has one. Much easier to cross on both sides of the border.

GTim

Anarchist
Erie, PA
Not really here. Last year we could Transit in to and out of Canadian waters with no check in. Meeting with Canadian customs and clubs spelled that out. We could not dock, Hover, land , swim, fish or anchor with out check in. Somethings changed I think the USA wants to know where and y boaters are not checking back in after checking into Canada, as the Systems in both countries are now linked.

I'll tell you why nobody checks back in....because the US system is so fucked up... Case in point, nobody answering the video phone to check in. Fourth of July weekend, mid-day and nobody answers the video phone to check in. So there is another button to press...says to press to report suspicious activity...so I press that one. Still nobody answers. OK, well good thing a Canadian submarine didn't surface to blast some torpedoes at the public library.

So we take the boat in, dock, go home and later I call a customs number I find online. The guy is getting all pissy that we left the boat without checking in. I tell him that is what I am trying to doing now because their system is bogus. They send me to some other office 500 miles away in upstate NY and I get another guy there that had never checked anyone back in....LOL. This system is a complete freaking joke. Good thing the Canadians are all so friendly or they would own us.

And border patrol trucks all along the great lakes shorelines driving around looking at beaches all day? Really? We have more water nazis that we know what to do with.

I'll tell you why nobody checks back in....because the US system is so fucked up... Case in point, nobody answering the video phone to check in. Fourth of July weekend, mid-day and nobody answers the video phone to check in. So there is another button to press...says to press to report suspicious activity...so I press that one. Still nobody answers. OK, well good thing a Canadian submarine didn't surface to blast some torpedoes at the public library.

So we take the boat in, dock, go home and later I call a customs number I find online. The guy is getting all pissy that we left the boat without checking in. I tell him that is what I am trying to doing now because their system is bogus. They send me to some other office 500 miles away in upstate NY and I get another guy there that had never checked anyone back in....LOL. This system is a complete freaking joke. Good thing the Canadians are all so friendly or they would own us.

And border patrol trucks all along the great lakes shorelines driving around looking at beaches all day? Really? We have more water nazis that we know what to do with.
Bingo!

I can't believe the way you Americans get pissed over such a little thing!

We have been harrassed, threatened and intimidated by your barely sentient goon squads for years. Hell I've been stopped by your Border Patrol Gorrilas IN CANADIAN WATERS.....

It's got to the point that we really think twice about bothering to visit the south shore any more. Last year we were in American waters (properly checked in at Cape Vincent) for 5 days. We had 5 different visits from one of your law enforcement agencies. Twice from the Border Patrol, one boarding by the Coast Guard for a "safety inspection", one visit from a Sheriff and one from a Conservation Officer......

Every damned agency has major assets on the water and they have to justify their existence by stopping boats to prove they're keeping you all safe from yourselves!

Suck it up folks! And remember this the next time its your turn to vote.

Oh, BTW, the torpedoes our navy has don't fit the subs they bought from the brits, so the welded them shut.... besides, they were leaking.

Not really here. Last year we could Transit in to and out of Canadian waters with no check in. Meeting with Canadian customs and clubs spelled that out. We could not dock, Hover, land , swim, fish or anchor with out check in. Somethings changed I think the USA wants to know where and y boaters are not checking back in after checking into Canada, as the Systems in both countries are now linked.

+1

Blue striped SUVs Patrol our streets, that park in all the best vantage points 24/7 looking at nothing sparking blue water. Bike Riders in Custioms uniform in pairs patrol in the parks and down town all summer riding around. We have vedo cameras lining the ST Clair River the head officer at the Blue Water Bridges monitors "if needed". A green unmarked military surveillance trailer is parked and pluged in on the Coast guard brake wall right on the lake, no one will tell me what if is used for. Nightly Blue striped choppers are over head heading N or S. Fucking Gas guzzling Triple Outboard 700 hp+ Ribs 24/7 on the lake and river going full bore from ice out to ice up. All this is costing me money! Still NO ONE Can answer the PHONE!!

I finely got my Nexas this spring. During the interview with the Canadian agent a US Boarder agent stood in the corner and listened. I Asked pointed questions about Transit. Got the No problem answer. She never mentioned any thing else about Non transit boats.

Then at the end the US Agent spoke up about US Check-in after the Canadian officer was done. He told me a number, x hundred thousand check in to Canada waters last year and 80% of them never check back in to the USA and they want to know "Where did all those people go?"

If U are stopped by the Canadian agent with the Red & White Canadian Maple Leaf National Flag tattooed on his leg, Summer uniform is shorts. Try answering "SIR YES SIR." and good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:

(p)Irate

Super Anarchist
Absolutely fucking retarded.
Yeah like if a Mexican yacht club wanted to run a race with a mark in US waters off Socal your Coast Guard would just let it happen.

You yanks make anyone who flies Air Canada from Sydney to Vancouver pass through US Immigration in Hawaii even when you're not stopping over. "How long are you staying in the USA sir?"

"I'm not staying in the USA."

"We don't tolerate jokes sir."

"I'm not joking. I'm getting back on that plane in 20 minutes. I'm going to Canada on a Canadian plane. I'm not leaving the transit area. I'm not entering the country."

"You have entered the USA sir."

"No I haven't. You haven't stamped my passport."

"Sir, if you continue to make such jokes we may be compelled to refuse your entry to the United States and you may be subject to forceable deportation."

"Where are you going to deport me to? Canada?"

"Will you just leverage yourself up against the wall sir, ..."

atoyot

Super Anarchist
Dela-where?
You yanks make anyone who flies Air Canada from Sydney to Vancouver pass through US Immigration in Hawaii even when you're not stopping over. "How long are you staying in the USA sir?""I'm not staying in the USA."

"We don't tolerate jokes sir."

"I'm not joking. I'm getting back on that plane in 20 minutes. I'm going to Canada on a Canadian plane. I'm not leaving the transit area. I'm not entering the country."

"You have entered the USA sir."

"No I haven't. You haven't stamped my passport."

"Sir, if you continue to make such jokes we may be compelled to refuse your entry to the United States and you may be subject to forceable deportation."

"Where are you going to deport me to? Canada?"

"Will you just leverage yourself up against the wall sir, ..."
We are a mess. It could be worse (hypothetically).

Latest posts