Canadian Politics

Ishmael

Fuctifino
FPgSVarXIAMSOF4

Who thinks that electing PP as leader of the Conservatives would be a gift to the Liberals?

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
One look at him pretty much tells the story.

How could a guy born in 1979 even get to look like that? He would have looked old & out of touch if he looked like that in '79 let alone now.

220px-Pierre_Poilievre.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I admit I've only taken a very shallow look at at Canadian conservative pols, but they just don't seem to have the burning hatred and the wrecking-ball spitefulness of US asshole conservatives. Max seems to have a problem with differently-hued people and immigrants but the rest seem almost like normal boring white people from my innocent childhood.

Also i admit I'm curious how Pierre managed to amass a fortune of $9M in the course of ~15 years in politics. That's more than Joe Biden has done in almost 3X the time.

- DSK

Ishmael

Fuctifino
The Canadian conservative movement has been following a similar course to the USA wing of being taken over by the batshit crazy religious arm.

gzynd993wsm81.jpg

Stephen Harper was the one to really scare the shit out of me, he had that crazy eyes look of a committed religious right-wing nutbar. One more term with him as PM and Canada would have been a much worse place.

UqUTTE49_400x400.jpg

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
And?

We have a near-lifetime member of the NC Legislature... comes from one of those backwards rural counties where there are an average of 5 teeth per resident and they're all related (which is how he got elected)... who's one and only piece of legislation is to "make The Holy Bible the book of NC law." This always draws cheers on the floor but somehow it gets tabled and never brought to a vote.

Sorry, that's a bit off topic. Just trying to give a comparison point.

- DSK

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I admit I've only taken a very shallow look at at Canadian conservative pols, but they just don't seem to have the burning hatred and the wrecking-ball spitefulness of US asshole conservatives. Max seems to have a problem with differently-hued people and immigrants but the rest seem almost like normal boring white people from my innocent childhood.

Also i admit I'm curious how Pierre managed to amass a fortune of $9M in the course of ~15 years in politics. That's more than Joe Biden has done in almost 3X the time.

- DSK
Our conservatives are just as dumb and reactionary as yours but they don't have the lying, cheating, money grubbing zealotry of yours.

They are Canadian after all.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Our conservatives are just as dumb and reactionary as yours but they don't have the lying, cheating, money grubbing zealotry of yours.

They are Canadian after all.
Also, our Supreme Court has so far refused to allow the billions of dark money that pollute the American system.

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
Ordinarily, I do not subscribe to the "Great Man" theory of history . . . 

but what would Canadian politics be like if Tommy Douglas had never existed ?? 

Could one argue that he moved Canada's entire political culture several degrees to the left ?? 

spankoka

Super Anarchist
He had the assimiliationst views about indigenous people of his time, and the health care system he helped create sterilized indigenous women without their consent right into the 1980s. Which is just to say, no one is perfect. 

Last edited by a moderator: