Canadian Politics

Your world of lollipops, unicorns and rainbows is collapsing
1665072183455.png

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
That could be Richmond here. Malls entirely in Chinese and so forth.

Expecting immigrants to learn English or French is racist.
It takes a generation or two for the dilution to to become the new solution, and then it repeats in a different way.
Go with the flow, stay in your lane and keep your side of street clean, Rx
Accept everything is flawed and proceed with the best choices at hand. Otherwise you could fall in to the liberal trap and it is a tormented hell filled with rage and hate much to the amusement of the castle dwellers. Know your place in the world!

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
This looks familiar,

Long past time for Canada to grow a spine.

View attachment 545793
There are enough things to get in a tizzy about, this is not one of them. If I had to guess I would say that this is someone's idea of a joke. Some background, Fuzhou is the 32nd largest city in China according to Wiki. It is in Fujian Province which is most famous as the biggest source of illegal migrants to the West, i.e. most of the folks working in restaurants, markets and the like. If the Fuzhou police were to have "Overseas Service Station"(s) in the West, whatever that might mean, Dublin would be far down the list in terms of importance, somewhere around Winnipeg I suspect. Also, if Fuzhou has these offshore officers certainly Beijing, Shanghai, and a couple dozen other cities would have them as well and they would we well-known. Such a secret could not be kept with so many people involved - both 'officers' and those subject to investigation.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
It is a thing and it's not secret.

Google "china overseas police station" and you'll find a large number of news stories about them, including several in Canada. I think western nations are just waking up to them about now. Story about them and a Parliament hearing:

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
That could be Richmond here. Malls entirely in Chinese and so forth.

Expecting immigrants to learn English or French is racist.
Toronto has a very long history of mass immigration. Any time a migrant population gets large enough, you get a XXXX-town where people can live in their native language if they want. Had a friend in university whose mother came to Canada in 1948. By 1970, she lived in Little Italy (College St) and spoke not a word of English. She had her friends, her shopping and her church within walking distance. Today, there are virtually no Italians in Little Italy. The kids and grandkids from that district are now lawyers, business people, and politicians and live in wealthier parts of the city. Before WWII, Little Italy was Jewish. After the Italians moved out it became Portuguese. Now it is a polyglot ethnic areas with excellent restaurants.

I taught at a high school that was more than 50% Chinese (originally mainly HK and later mainland with a scattering of railway-generattionn Chinese, Jamaican-Chinese, Indian-Chinese (the Chinese get around). When I first went there it was WASP and Jewish. Near the end it was getting a large Iranian population. All of these groups were represented in the stores and restaurants in the area. How could it be otherwise? That is the way immigration works. It alters and generally improves the cities where it goes. The number of immigrant kids I taught who are now in prominent positions is huge - doctors, professors, business executives. By coincidence my ophthalmologist is a graduate of my high school. The scary thing is that she started there after I retired.

The way the Canadian immigration system works is that educated people, who often have money, are favoured. In earlier generations, like my parents, immigrants were most often poorly educated and could only get menial jobs. Current immigrants are educated and have high educational expectations for their kids. One of my students (HK) was ESL but ended up with a PhD from Cambridge - in English literature. BTW, Canadian immigration now requires passing a fairly tough test of English or French fluency for most immigrants.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
BTW, Canadian immigration now requires passing a fairly tough test of English or French fluency for most immigrants.
First I heard of that - good news.

The big immigrant population on the North Shore are Persians - they have been a major boon to the 3 cities. As was the case in the past (Uganda) we creamed the merchant class from Iran when the Mullahs took over.

An added benefit is the huge numbers of gorgeous women they brought. :)

Richmond is a different matter - a high priced Chinese ghetto. My wife's cousin lives there and experiences racism from them regularly - "Go to that store over there - they serve whites". Malls with no English signage whatsoever and so forth - way over the top,

Last edited:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
BTW, Canadian immigration now requires passing a fairly tough test of English or French fluency for most immigrants.
We moved back to Vancouver in 2017 after sailing RTW. My Canadian daughter, who does speak English as a first language, was required to take an English language test by the school (in Kerrisdale). The Vice Principal apologized but it was the policy of the school system (not sure locally or BC). She had been a pupil in the Vancouver system from K-Gr 2 but apparently that didn't count. Very odd.

I work with a very large number of immigrants. Great folks. We got 3 female NAs from Eastern Europe in the 2000's, a big bunch from China in the 2010s, and now a new mix: A Russian (hey he's a good guy; helped re-settle a Ukrainian family) 2 x Iran, 2 x Philippines, 1 x Pakistan, 1 x Spain. Oh and some Canadians. All great folks. Because our company has a good reputation we get the real cream of the crop and can pick and choose. Without immigrants we'd be in trouble; not enough Canadians go into N.A. as a job.

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
The way the Canadian immigration system works is that educated people, who often have money, are favoured. In earlier generations, like my parents, immigrants were most often poorly educated and could only get menial jobs. Current immigrants are educated and have high educational expectations for their kids. One of my students (HK) was ESL but ended up with a PhD from Cambridge - in English literature. BTW, Canadian immigration now requires passing a fairly tough test of English or French fluency for most immigrants.

You are aware that Canada is on target to meet it's goal of absorbing 400k immigrants this year, right?
And no, the majority are waived from your 'fairly tough test'. Immigrants above all else, has been the immigration policy of the Ottawa for more than a decade. Finding immigrants in desperate straits enough to come to Canada has been the tough part. Seeing as nobody wants to come to Canada, thankfully Biden throttled the US border, so Ukrainians trying to enter the US had a choice between Canada or Mexico. Most wanted to stay in Mexico, until they were going to be deported. Canada is the worlds immigration booby prize.

Now if established Canadians want to bring their grandmother over...well that is tricky, and your 'tough test'.

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
You are aware that Canada is on target to meet it's goal of absorbing 400k immigrants this year, right?
And no, the majority are waived from your 'fairly tough test'. Immigrants above all else, has been the immigration policy of the Ottawa for more than a decade. Finding immigrants in desperate straits enough to come to Canada has been the tough part. Seeing as nobody wants to come to Canada, thankfully Biden throttled the US border, so Ukrainians trying to enter the US had a choice between Canada or Mexico. Most wanted to stay in Mexico, until they were going to be deported. Canada is the worlds immigration booby prize.

Now if established Canadians want to bring their grandmother over...well that is tricky, and your 'tough test'.
It is not a fact if you just make it up. Canada is not on track to meet 400k, largely because of COVID restrictions, particularly in China. The country is in need of the skilled workers wanting to come. The waiting list for people who have applied to come as economic immigrants keeps getting longer because of the vetting process. There is no shortage of applicants, in particular from China, India, and the Philippines the three largest sources. The language test applies to economic class immigrants which is the largest and most important group. Only the applicant needs to pass the test, family members do not. Test also does not apply to family class immigrants (grandmas) and refugees. Family class also has an annual target. Anyone wanting to do so just needs to apply and wait their turn. I think it is several years at this point. Bringing up the US in a discussion of refugee acceptance is pathetic. Few, if any, advanced countries have a more pathetic record.

Facts are your friend and the interwebs make it easy to get them. You should try it out some time.

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
We moved back to Vancouver in 2017 after sailing RTW. My Canadian daughter, who does speak English as a first language, was required to take an English language test by the school (in Kerrisdale). The Vice Principal apologized but it was the policy of the school system (not sure locally or BC). She had been a pupil in the Vancouver system from K-Gr 2 but apparently that didn't count. Very odd.

I work with a very large number of immigrants. Great folks. We got 3 female NAs from Eastern Europe in the 2000's, a big bunch from China in the 2010s, and now a new mix: A Russian (hey he's a good guy; helped re-settle a Ukrainian family) 2 x Iran, 2 x Philippines, 1 x Pakistan, 1 x Spain. Oh and some Canadians. All great folks. Because our company has a good reputation we get the real cream of the crop and can pick and choose. Without immigrants we'd be in trouble; not enough Canadians go into N.A. as a job.
I have had a huge number of ex-students go into engineering and I must say I can't think of one who considered NA. Is it a separate trade/training or a sub-speciality within mechanical engineering? Where does one get the education.

Your daughter's case does seem odd. Not sure if it has changed but where I taught a new student would be evaluated academically, including English skills by a guidance counsellor and be assigned a timetable. The folks doing the assessment were good at it and almost always the kid would be placed appropriately.

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
I started my career in the Navy and trained as a Marine Systems Engineering Officer (MSEO). I served at sea for a number of years in that role. There was an off-shoot that allowed a small number of MSEOs to train in NA. However, it wasn't well played up and the NAs that I met in the Navy were not very impressive in their technical skills. I briefly looked into that program but gave it a pass. In hindsight was that a mistake? I don't know. I ended up furthering my education in a different field.