Canadian Politics

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
You are aware that Canada is on target to meet it's goal of absorbing 400k immigrants this year, right?
And no, the majority are waived from your 'fairly tough test'. Immigrants above all else, has been the immigration policy of the Ottawa for more than a decade. Finding immigrants in desperate straits enough to come to Canada has been the tough part. Seeing as nobody wants to come to Canada, thankfully Biden throttled the US border, so Ukrainians trying to enter the US had a choice between Canada or Mexico. Most wanted to stay in Mexico, until they were going to be deported. Canada is the worlds immigration booby prize.

Now if established Canadians want to bring their grandmother over...well that is tricky, and your 'tough test'.
Have you entered a "Biggest Idiot" contest?

You look like a podium finisher if you have.

Laker

Super Anarchist
PNW
I started my career in the Navy and trained as a Marine Systems Engineering Officer (MSEO). I served at sea for a number of years in that role. There was an off-shoot that allowed a small number of MSEOs to train in NA. However, it wasn't well played up and the NAs that I met in the Navy were not very impressive in their technical skills. I briefly looked into that program but gave it a pass. In hindsight was that a mistake? I don't know. I ended up furthering my education in a different field.
UBC has a Master's in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. At least in the last few years there has been a large percentage of foreign students. Certainly not overly represented by local people.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I started my career in the Navy and trained as a Marine Systems Engineering Officer (MSEO). I served at sea for a number of years in that role. There was an off-shoot that allowed a small number of MSEOs to train in NA. However, it wasn't well played up and the NAs that I met in the Navy were not very impressive in their technical skills. I briefly looked into that program but gave it a pass. In hindsight was that a mistake? I don't know. I ended up furthering my education in a different field.
Yes, Zonk's statement there makes me want to seriously sit down and re-evaluate my life's path.

Not that I'm unhappy here, but I could be a Canadian guitar-playing retired sailing coach on the West Coast, instead. Hmmmmmmmmm

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
There were two navy (and one CG) guys in my Master of Engineer class in Naval Arch at Berkeley back in the day.

There are several US schools with undergrad NA/ME engineering degrees (Michigan, Webb, TAMU to name a few), and lots more that offer NA classes under the Mechanical Engineering department.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
How many people with that degree actually get to do cool stuff like the Maestro does and how many spend their work days designing piping layouts for ships?

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Have you entered a "Biggest Idiot" contest?

You look like a podium finisher if you have.

His mother must have been scared by a møøse.

Seriously, I wonder what could have caused that vitriol? When you get to the point that you are just making shit up about something out of blind hatred, time to step back and take a long look at yourself.

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
Navy naval architect anecdotes:

1. Navy Naval architects were performing an inclining trial on a Navy ship. The ship was fitted with water-displacement fuel tanks. As the ship inclined, the fuel spilled into the interior of the ship and more seawater entered the fuel tanks. The ship was at risk of sinking. Inclining trial promptly stopped.

2. Navy naval architect decides the grimy work of actually learning how the main engines (oil-fueled boilers and steam turbines) work was beneath him (although required as part of his training). He was unfamiliar with the basics of engine operation and control systems. But his hands were clean.

3. A crane is needed to hoist supplies from the weather deck up to the bridge. Crane is designed by NA. It consists of a piece of pipe bent like a cane with a pulley on the end. The intention is that from the weather deck crew can pull a rope to hoist the load. The crane was installed. For the first trial, test weights were used. Three big bos'ns grabbed the rope and pulled...... the weights stayed on the deck and the crane bent over by 45 degrees.

Last edited:

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm

1. Navy Naval architects were performing an inclining trial on a Navy ship. The ship was fitted with water-displacement fuel tanks. As the ship inclined, the fuel spilled into the interior of the ship and more seawater entered the fuel tanks. The ships were at risk of sinking. Inclining trial promptly stopped.

2. Navy naval architect decides the grimy work of actually learning how the main engines (oil-fueled boilers and steam turbines) work was beneath him. He was unfamiliar with the basics of engine operation and control systems. But his hands were clean.

3. A crane is needed to hoist supplies from the weather deck up to the bridge. Crane is designed by NA. It consists of a piece of pipe bent like a cane with a pulley on the end. The intention is that from the weather deck crew can pull a rope to hoist the load. The crane was installed. For the first trial, test weights were used. Three big bos'ns grabbed the rope and pulled...... the weights stayed on the deck and the crane bent over by 45 degrees.
Is Joe Biden hiding his NA resume or was it an honest oversight leaving it out of his other bogus academic accomplishments

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
How many people with that degree actually get to do cool stuff like the Maestro does and how many spend their work days designing piping layouts for ships?
I guess it depends on your definition of "cool stuff". I've had a project features on Mega Marine Machines, and when riding the SeaBus, there are better then even odds that your on one of my projects.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC

1. Navy Naval architects were performing an inclining trial on a Navy ship. The ship was fitted with water-displacement fuel tanks. As the ship inclined, the fuel spilled into the interior of the ship and more seawater entered the fuel tanks. The ship was at risk of sinking. Inclining trial promptly stopped.

2. Navy naval architect decides the grimy work of actually learning how the main engines (oil-fueled boilers and steam turbines) work was beneath him (although required as part of his training). He was unfamiliar with the basics of engine operation and control systems. But his hands were clean.

I had the amusing experience, as a young junior rating, assisting in the craning of a fully assembled forced-draft blower (which included a small but weighty 1200psi turbine assembly) onto the upper side deck of a frigate, from a destroyer tender. The crane was a huge affair which looked capable of plucking a whole destroyer out of the water; anyway it was in charge of a crew headed by a burly female CPO who took a liking to me. She showed me the worksheet detailing how much this lift would heel the destroy tender and said "Offically I can't swing this over to you until your Chief Engineer gives me the corresponding sheet for your ship, but I gotta fuckin' lot of work to do, so get ready."

My quick mental calculation was that our ship was a lot tippier than theirs, and while the weight was not slung as far outboard i was familiar with the ship swinging a motor whaleboat out in davits and heeling about 5 degrees; and again a quick mental wild-ass-guess was that the FDB weighed more. So I got our gang ready with some ropes and chocks to secure it when it settled on our deck and I notified the Officer Of The Deck that the ship would take on a list due to engineering work. This was really a big assumption of power on my part as an E4 but nobody else seemed to give a shit.

It was a good thing because without being secured the blower would probably have toppled and the XO freaked out when the ship heeled. Much to her amusement I took the lady chief out to dinner and tried to get in her pants but could not afford to get her drunk enough.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Chatting with a friend in Alberta this morning.

Holy shit.

Things are getting pretty weird next door to us (BC) and there are a lot of teachers and nurses bailing out of Alberta right now. We know some of them. Alberta is turning into Alabama North.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I have had a huge number of ex-students go into engineering and I must say I can't think of one who considered NA. Is it a separate trade/training or a sub-speciality within mechanical engineering? Where does one get the education.
Mine was an elective part of Mechanical Engineering at UBC. It's a very small field. Of the 90 or so m.eng students in my year class, only 6 took the NA course. I'm probably the only one working in the field.

Other good schools are MIT (Mech Eng. Dept; big ships), Webb Institute in US (Small quirky private school, only degree BS in NA/Marine Engineering), Memorial University (NFLD, Ocean and Naval Architectural Engineering degree), Berkley (same, part of their M.Eng dept), Southampton (best place for a future yacht designer). Newcastle used to have a good program. Others in Australia. Almost all are geared to commercial/big ship design. A strong foundation in engineering (mechanical/structural/aerodynamics) does help anybody wanting to design yachts.

There is LOT less opportunity to design sailboats than there used to be. Lots fewer custom racing sailboats. Lots fewer production builders, shrinking market. Many yacht designers were self taught or learned from others (like Bob Perry working for Dick Carter and lots working at S&S).

giegs

Anarchist
Arid
Things are getting pretty weird next door to us (BC) and there are a lot of teachers and nurses bailing out of Alberta right now. We know some of them. Alberta is turning into Alabama North.
Yup, she's in healthcare on the lab side and it sounds like relocating is more and more of a consideration. I'm not sure outrunning this kind of thing is viable on either side of the border. Seems like a terrible mix of US exported insanity and the extraction economy of the province from here. I've always thought of it as the Texas of Canada, but 'bama works.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
His mother must have been scared by a møøse.

Seriously, I wonder what could have caused that vitriol? When you get to the point that you are just making shit up about something out of blind hatred, time to step back and take a long look at yourself.
I think a Canadian girl laughed at his dick.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I guess it depends on your definition of "cool stuff". I've had a project features on Mega Marine Machines, and when riding the SeaBus, there are better then even odds that your on one of my projects.
The Sea Buses are extremely cool - very imaginative solution to a unique situation. I heard they load and unload 400 people in less than 5 minutes.

Latest posts