Canadian Politics

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
The Global story said that $250,000 was funnelled to 11 candidates through an Ontario MPP. I checked, thanks Mr Wiki, and found only two MPPs of Chinese descent - Billy Pang and Daisy Wai, both PCs. I think investigators know full well, which one it is. Based on the brief bios on Wikipedia I am going with Billy.

Tax Man

Super Anarchist
Toronto
The Global story said that $250,000 was funnelled to 11 candidates through an Ontario MPP. I checked, thanks Mr Wiki, and found only two MPPs of Chinese descent - Billy Pang and Daisy Wai, both PCs. I think investigators know full well, which one it is. Based on the brief bios on Wikipedia I am going with Billy.
What about Vincent Ke - born in Fujian, worked in Shanghai.

"Money and influence"

"Interference on Canadian soil is orchestrated by the CCP’s powerful United Front Work Department, which mobilizes large sections of society abroad to fulfill Chinese Communist Party objectives, according to the 2022 briefs.

United Front operations can include politicians, media, business, student and community groups, and are aimed at consolidating support for CCP policy as well as targeting critics and the causes of ethnic groups seen as “poisons” by the CCP, such as Uyghurs and Tibetans.

Several federal candidates from Canada’s 2019 federal election met with China-based United Front Work Department officials, the intelligence alleges, but did not identify the politicians.

While Xi’s United Front is not itself an espionage agency, intelligence briefs allege its networks in Canada facilitate interference operations by China’s foreign espionage service, the Ministry of State Security.

The briefs also reported that Xi’s United Front operates through Chinese consulates in Canada, from which officials direct funds into Canada’s political system, using CCP proxies."

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
What about Vincent Ke - born in Fujian, worked in Shanghai.
Missed him, oops!. Wikipedia seems to think it could be him

Ke's ties to the Chinese consulate were questioned by National Post writer Tom Blackwell in a 2019 article.[3] In particular, Blackwell reported that Ke maintained ties with groups linked to the Chinese Communist Party's United Front Work Department.[3] Blackwell provided Ke's office with a list of questions about his connections to the Chinese government including the possibility he joined the Chinese Communist Party, his ties with the Chinese consulate and a 2013 trip to China for a government-run workshop.

1668203932056.png

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes

And if Trudeau had stayed at home to attend the ceremonies the petty Conservatives would be complaining that he was not attending the important meetings on the other side of the world. My father, who fought in both wars and was in the permanent force between the wars would have supported Justin being away. My father, like a lot of military people was a Conservative supporter but that CP was very different than what there is today.

spankoka

Super Anarchist
Today I am remembering Hampton Gray VC. My mother taught at Hampton Gray School before I came along, much later in life I lived in the Sendai area-where he is the only guy in Japan from the other side to have his own monument. That Canadians fought in the Pacific, during that entire conflict sometimes is forgotten in Canada.

spankoka

Super Anarchist
It's very complicated. If people who are ethnically Chinese are made to feel like their loyalties are always going to be questioned in Canada-that would not be good. On the other hand, the money involved cannot possibly be reconciled with election laws in Canada. Sikhs mostly got over the Khalistan thing, and became "Good Canadians" who belong to every political party in Canada. Sikhs are like Mormons this way-not having a professional clergy makes them good public speakers by necessity, and thus good at politics. The point is; throw light at this stuff-but don't exclude people with a Chinese background from going into politics in the party of their choice.

Ishmael

Super Antichrist
Fuctifino
Are there really a lot of Canadian military cemeteries in Cambodia?

No, but there's other stuff happening.

OTTAWA -
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will miss Friday's national Remembrance Day ceremony in Ottawa to attend a summit in Cambodia involving countries from across Southeast Asia.

Senior officials revealed the prime minister's planned absence during a not-for-attribution background briefing, saying Trudeau will leave late Thursday for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations meeting in Phnom Penh.

The ASEAN summit, which is scheduled to start on Saturday, is the first of four international meetings that Trudeau will attend over 10 days. He will also attend the G20 in Indonesia, the APEC meeting in Thailand and a Francophonie summit in Tunisia.

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
It seems like in Canada, it's the police who suffer from citizen brutality.

That is utter trash, there's a reason what, 8-9 of last mass shootings in Cuntuckistan involved a direct targeting of the police, WoW, shocker, it may not involve the utter lack of morality in any Canadian law enforcement officer after 8yrs of service? 8yrs is my benchmark, either they quit, or double down on their life choices. Lifer law enforcement in Canada, involves a flexible morality component. On the upside, healthier union and less likely to get into the news than the US.

spankoka

Super Anarchist
Not winning hearts and minds for their cause, I would guess.