Canadian Politics

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
The fact is; not tanks, but military engineers were posited as the solution to moving the truckers after the actual tow truck operators demurred.
I see. I haven't found that in my googling yet but I don't doubt you. However:

Feb 17, 2022 — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada on Friday again rejected calls to use the military to break up the trucker-led protests that are on

It seems a lot of those suggestions may have been made in an atmosphere of brainstorming and never taken seriously.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
The fact is; not tanks, but military engineers were posited as the solution to moving the truckers after the actual tow truck operators demurred. I shouldn't really say truckers here, because apparently the trucks tended to be farm trucks that would be usually idle that time of year.

If I recall correctly, those exchanged occurred after some of the truckers took the wheels off their trucks so they couldn't be towed. The military was the closest option for heavy moving.

spankoka

Super Anarchist
I said "posited". As I understand it, there is something about air brakes that make highway tractors hard to tow without the consent of the operator. Therefore, the tow truck guys did not have some ideological commitment to the protest-they just thought, "this is harder than you think".

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The Emergencies Act being invoked, did not effect 99.99999 percent of Canadians.

If the local police had stepped up early and took action, it would have never been required.

So, a complete failure of the responsibility of the local police to take charge and act, allowed the protestors to get out of control.

Nothing more, nothing less.
At the time I couldn't understand why those assholes were allowed to leave and return with food and diesel.

Why didn't the police simply barricade the side streets and prevent anyone from entering? In an Ottawa winter they would have quit as soon as their trucks ran dry and the heaters stopped.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
They were too afraid of retribution to hook them up - their trucks have names & contact info all over them and the shitbag convoy people are dangerous cowards.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
They were too afraid of retribution to hook them up - their trucks have names & contact info all over them and the shitbag convoy people are dangerous cowards.
I would like to believe they thought they were doing the right thing, whether we disagree or not. I've seen no evidence they were shit bags. Admittedly my only information came from what I saw on tv

I would like to believe they thought they were doing the right thing, whether we disagree or not. I've seen no evidence they were shit bags. Admittedly my only information came from what I saw on tv
No, the the tow truck company's weren't doing the right thing,

The tow truck drivers were afraid and intimidated by the few morons who took over the simple truckers protest, who were then disrupting the daily lives of normal people 24-7, for little or no reason.

All this would have been avoided, if the local police had taken proper action immediately.

To quote a famous American for you, Paul Harvey,

"Now you know, the rest of the story."

spankoka

Super Anarchist
The thing of it is; the heavy wrecker operators did not have an entire garage full of; "Thunderbirds are Go" heavy wreckers. They have enough heavy wreckers out 24/7, for the usual incidents to make them a profit. The 401 keeps them busy enough in winter. If all the heavy wreckers were busy in Ottawa for a week, Southern Ontario would have been really stuffed up with the usual jackknifes, etc. Thus; the notion of using military engineers and their gear, was not unreasonable at all.

basketcase

Fuck you second amendment
a long way from home
how different is this
The thing of it is; the heavy wrecker operators did not have an entire garage full of; "Thunderbirds are Go" heavy wreckers. They have enough heavy wreckers out 24/7, for the usual incidents to make them a profit. The 401 keeps them busy enough in winter. If all the heavy wreckers were busy in Ottawa for a week, Southern Ontario would have been really stuffed up with the usual jackknifes, etc. Thus; the notion of using military engineers and their gear, was not unreasonable at all.
how different is this from when it snowed in Toronto and Megga city Mel called in the army? (having been there at the time, that was with out a doubt the right decision.)

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
They were lowlifes - Trumper wannabees.

They had the standard moronic right wing attitude "Freedom means I can do whatever I want, whenever I want and fuck you".

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
They might have thought they were doing the right thing but very quickly it became obvious that they were not. Intimidating people wearing masks and responding to requests by residents to stop using air horns by blowing said horns more is not doing the right thing. I have been to enough protests over the years to know what is civil behaviour and what is not. Went to a massive teacher protest in Hamilton decades ago against some Tory anti-teacher legislation (what is old is new again). In the loading dock area of Copps Coliseum there were about 50 cops (OPP) in riot gear (rare to see back then). They didn't move because the demonstration, with a city permit, was peaceful and ended when it was time to end.

I quite agree with the idea of civil disobedience as professed by Thoreau and Gandhi, but this protest was far from civil. To quote Dr. King, "Any man who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community on the injustice of the law is at that moment expressing the very highest respect for the law." The few Convoy protestors who did get arrested, should have been a lot more, whimpered like toddlers and got bail as quickly as they could. I have zero respect for them or their 'cause'.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Danielle Smith is a looning ravatic. She wants to be the Rhonda Santis of Canada. This will not end well.

The superpowers that Smith never advertised or forewarned are the ones really worth unpacking. Because for all the advance debate about what it meant in Smith's head for the province to have sovereign powers, nobody expected that Smith fancied giving herself the powers of a sovereign.

Section 4 of the Alberta Sovereignty within a United Canada Act gives the provincial cabinet the kinglike powers to amend legislation by circumventing the legislature, and all the debates and democratic trappings therein. Once the UCP-dominated legislature approves a resolution that beefs about — say, federal methane regulations for fertilizer — there's nothing in Smith's bill that constrains the secret law-rewriting powers of the premier and her lieutenants.

There's a second extraordinary thing this bill does. It severely limits Albertans' rights to challenge use of the act's superpowers in court.

She's talked about the bill as a "shield" against Ottawa. It also shields her government from its own concerned citizens.

Latest posts