Cancelling & getting a new TIP for Mexico

Caca Cabeza

Super Anarchist
Hey,

My new to me boat has a TIP. I need to cancel it and get a new one to cruise Mexico. Does anyone know the procedure? does the 2 x 10 year limit apply to the owner or the boat?

Thanks!

(I'm also posting this in Cruising Anarchy, so don't put me on blast.)

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Cross to Tijuana with all the right paperwork, stand in line for 2 hours, find out they also want a receipt from the last TIP, which is on the boat in SD, give up, stand in line at the border for 3 more hours while the pocket pickers work the crowd, decide to sail to Ensenada and do it there since the front’s coming, make lots of friends at the port (good people) and come to the (correct) conclusion that you need a $300 agent and spend most of the day doing this (complete with pro line standers who work for the agent)

OR be a sympathetic crew and spend the day finding the best Margarita in Ensenada while the owner hangs with the agent on a bench in the office. And buy your OPB owner a drink!

620E9D91-D823-402A-B3CA-300E11C3DB11.jpeg

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Every one of those boxes has a separate window with 3 to 10 in a line (half pros) that never moves in less than 5 minutes. Do the math, you’ll have plenty of time. Good margaritas are a short block away, have your agent call when you’re needed 

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I think the old owner has to apply to cancel it. But that might be just a form with an authentic (cough cough) signature. 

jamhass

Anarchist
IF:

1.  The boat has the exit papers showing it checked out of Mexico, AND

2.  The prior owner is cooperative with paperwork

Then:

Its not too hard, and MIGHT be done at a Mex consulate

ELSE:

Prepare for a long haul

END IF

mvk512

So Cal
I had a similar problem 3 years ago as I was preparing for the N2E race. As stated above, the previous owner must cancel the TIP before you can apply. The previous owner of my boat had lost his TIP. We were told this had to be dealt with by the PO in Mexico (not at a consulate). So, I brought him on the race as crew with a plan to deal with it down there. Once in Ensenada, it turned out the PO's old exit papers were not in proper order and the boat apparently had two active TIPs (how the hell could that happen?)... both of which were big problems. The manager of the Coral Marina in Ensenada was very helpful getting us through it... driving us into town, working through all the issues with the various officials to eventually get the old TIPs cancelled. It took most of the day (the Monday after the race) to get through it. 

It would have been extremely difficult to work through the process without the help of the Coral Marina manager. I don't know if the process has changed in the past couple of years, but I do know the TIP they send out is no longer a physical item and instead now a PDF document which should make it easier to keep track of. Once you get the TIP, don't lose it and make sure your exit papers are in order when you leave Mexico. If/when you sell your boat, please cancel the TIP before the sale is complete. If anyone is buying a boat with the potential to head into Mexico, make sure the PO has canceled any existing TIP before the purchase. It'll save a big headache.

jamhass

Anarchist
By the way, if buying a foreign (i.e., non-Mexican) boat IN Mexico, some of the officials (at least some local Banercita staff, maybe nationwide) are playing strictly by the rules, the rules being the TIP cannot be cancelled with the boat in Mexico.  The original owner (or someone with the owner's written permission) with ALL the paperwork should cancel the tip when checking out of the country.  Rules say you cannot "sell" the boat while in Mexico, so offshore delivery is "required.

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
There was some online way to determine if the TIP actually exists, I read somewhere. Things being they way they are in bureaucracies, yours may no longer officially exist.

I found the Ensenada offices to be quick and friendly.