Canvas Bow Cover Questions

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
I have a build slot about a year out for a dinghy. I'm looking for bow cover ideas. The builder is slammed with orders and IMO does not want to slow down his work flow to develop one and I don't really blame him too much.
The cover will go over a big stowage hatch so it has to easily unsnap, unzip or something to give quick access. This complicates things.
The open area ahead of the mast partner arch is what I want to turn into a dry area for quick stowage.
All ideas welcome.
The dinghy:

11_480x288_2x_8eb74c8c3eee869f486a8ddab8f44f903ba62838.jpg

13_480x288_2x_cb22d5d1c76ac97161314406a645b36229147530.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Sunbrella,  with shock cord around the bow coaming, button snaps across the forward raised edge of the mast support arch and perhaps a button snap on the outside of the coaming where it meets the mast support to make sure it all lines up and is tight.

Perhaps a removable centreline batten from mast support to coaming apex just to prevent sag and water puddling.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
If I was making this for someone I would make it and fasten it with snaps and make it from WeatherMax. Far superior for water resistance and breathability and will pack away to nearly half the size of an acrylic 

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
The seat is a sliding unit so no attachment and that's okay, all I want is splash protection. Some sort of batten or hoop(s) are definitely needed. 

I know nothing of any fabric other than Sunbrella,  WeatherMAX sounds good.

Keep it coming.

Thanks.

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
WeatherMax is superior to Sunbrella - polyester yarns rather than acrylic so lighter, stronger and more resistant to abrasion. However both fabrics need to be trested like foul weather gear to retain their performance i.e. washing and reproofing of the water repellent coating. Another option would be a basic PVC or a fabric like Stamoid Top that is PVC coated and thus fully waterproof - slightly heavier but on something this size it will barely make a difference.

Looking at the forward and aft attachment options I don't think you'd need a batten - you should be able to get enough tension without one by attaching between the bow and mast base, plus their is a fall away from centreline to outboard to help shed water. Snap fasteners (press studs, dot fasteners, they have so many names) should be plenty strong enough for this and are a nice low profile fitting when not in use - just be sure to use the 316 stainless versions.

Are there already boom tent designs for this boat for overnight excursions? Looks like with rowlock pintels you could create some attachment points after slinging something over or hanging under the boom...

garyedelman

Anarchist
Take a look at the forward deck cover for the Marlow-Hunter 18.  Just about  exactly what you're looking for.  Attached with snaps, with batterns inserted into pockets that bow the cover upwards.  Probably a different size than the one for your boat, but it could be a good starting point.  Give Brett Leary at Marlow Hunter and call and ask him where they source this item.  Good luck. Nice looking boat.

Latest posts