Cape Dory Typhoon or Bristol (Corinthian) 19 to learn the ropes?

Jangles13

Anarchist
Maine
I wouldn’t go with something for “a season or two” personally. 

Either learn to sail on OPB, rent, or buy something with longer term potential. 

With that many females in your life DO NOT underestimate the value of an onboard head with some form of privacy. A bucket behind a curtain doesn’t count.

If your family hates it you’re selling regardless. If they like it, you don’t want to have bought in twice. Selling a boat is rarely as easy as hoped.

Ensign over Typhoon or Bristol, unless you’re doing class racing.

Actually I wouldn’t pick any of them. They’re attractive and stable but fin keels and spade rudders are far superior for daysailing around a bay to me. 

Get the family out on a proper 35-40 footer with someone who knows how to sail for their first (few) experience. Something that will be an all smiles and not a chance for a squabble or scare. Then get something that 4 people won’t kill each other on overnights.

TryGuy

NJ
I learned to sail on Barnegat Bay ( Okay, the Toms River ) in a Cape Dory Typhoon. Great little boats. Not that familiar with the Corinthian, but they seem comparable. I'd recommend going with the boat in the best overall condition and get a slip in a decent marina. There's not a large number of moorings are available in the area. Coming to terms with trailer launching/retrieving a keelboat to be able use it would probably take a lot of the fun out of the experience.

Pat

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I learned to sail on Barnegat Bay ( Okay, the Toms River ) in a Cape Dory Typhoon. Great little boats. Not that familiar with the Corinthian, but they seem comparable. I'd recommend going with the boat in the best overall condition and get a slip in a decent marina. There's not a large number of moorings are available in the area. Coming to terms with trailer launching/retrieving a keelboat to be able use it would probably take a lot of the fun out of the experience.

Pat

If it's part of the plan to be ramp-launching the thing every time it's sailed, I would not chose either of those boats. Or any fixed-keel boat.

It just so happens I did a lot of my early sailing on Barnegat Bay too, at Mantoloking and Lavalette. Very different place back in those days. I crewed in wooden E-scows and for my grandfather in his sneakbox, sailed "duck boats" which is a small sneakbox, plywood Turnabouts, various catboats many of which were horrible (not that any of the whole collection were great), and finally a Butterfly which seemed so much of an improvement, so easy and fun, that it actually made "going sailing" something my cousin and I wanted to do instead of being driven to.

FB- Doug

ragha108

New Jersey
hands down the corinthian is a better boat to sail..  the weekender is under powered...   the corinthian is a solid boat and is fun to sail..  I regularly sail mine  singlehand..     first thing to do is get some swivel cam cleats and mount them on the corners of the cabin top for the jib sheets, the cross cockpit sheeting is a pia and you really don't need the winches..   next thing to do is change out the dbl ended mainsheet system... currently the vogue in the fleet is single block on the traveler to a mid boom pivot cleat.. 

both boats have deck stepped masts and will require at least 2 people to drop...   I wouldn't consider either a boat   to be a trailer sailer...   the corinthian has a solid glass hull and a balsa cored deck..   the corinthian doesn't have a thru hulls so a bilge pump is a must..   the typhoon you'll have to hang the motor off the back, the corinthian has a motor well that can take a c30 minn kota trolling motor (bigger ones won't fit)  or up to 5 hp gas..

trust me, you'll have more fun in the corinthain... 
Thank you @Grande Mastere Dreadethis is indeed the kind of response I was hoping to get from other experienced sailors. I was definitely more inclined to purchase the Corinthian and your response just added a few more points to that.  

@Steam Flyer At first I was considering a trailerable boat to keep my expenses low but I drive a Honda CRV and the payload capacity is very low at 1800 lbs plus at least for now I want to spend more time in the water than setting up and down.

@Jangles13 Reasonable but we are talking about a 5k-10k difference here. Nether of the boats I am considering will cost me more than 3K which to me is an ideal budget to give something new a try and less expensive than renting, etc. Both boats provide better motion comfort than a lot of bigger boats in the 20-25' range. Zero comfort inside the cabin but both come with a porta-potty which already makes this adventure more 'manageable' for them than hiking in the woods for example. My girls in general are more interested in their devices and looking pretty under the sun so I am not expecting them to be on board much or as much as I would want them to. Sadly but it is what it is

@hobotBelieve it or not there is a following for both of this boats and I don't see a reason why I would have a hard time reselling it, if needed. Good project boats for those who enjoy the craft. Both are priced reasonably well under market value even though they are in great overall condition. One owner moved to another state for work and the other got physically hurt and wants to part with it. 

slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
When comparing owning to renting don't forget the cost of the slip, haulouts, winter storage, maintenance, insurance, etc.

If you get a slip in a marina and you store the boat on land in the winter it could cost you $3K/year.  But prices can vary, so it might be a good idea to check them.

ragha108

New Jersey
When comparing owning to renting don't forget the cost of the slip, haulouts, winter storage, maintenance, insurance, etc.

If you get a slip in a marina and you store the boat on land in the winter it could cost you $3K/year.  But prices can vary, so it might be a good idea to check them.
Good point. For some reason the Corinthian is in a marina that charges $2k a year for slip plus $500 for winter storage which seems to be the standard in New Jersey while the Typhoon is at one that he currently pays $800 for the slip. I'm trying to see what would it take to move the Corinthian over to where the Typhoon is. For those of you in New Jersey...I am referring to Shore Marina in Pine Beach and Beatons, the later being the less expensive. I assume it is from lack of other services such as a pool  and not sure what else. Any reason not to move the Corinthian to Beatons?

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
I have dry storage for the winter on Rt 9 in Beachwood for less if you buy a boat on a trailer. About $300 for the season. Shore Point is nice, brother kept his boat there one year and my big wooden sloop is next door at de Rouville’s. Beaton’s is up bay and in shallow, safe water. $2,000 for a slip is way too much. You could contact me about slips in Bretons Harbor, which is in the lagoon next to the Toms River Yacht Club. Slip is closer to $750 in a safe harbor. 

If you need to learn some skills before buying a boat, maybe I could take you and your family out on one of my boats to give you a feel of what it’s like to sail a keelboat come springtime or crew in a Wednesday night race or two. I’m in Toms River.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
The one with the self-bailing cockpit.  Seriously.  Less comfort, but much greater peace of mind both when you’re on the boat and when you leave the boat on the mooring.

Mind you, the Ensign is a very nice daysailer.  I spent much of my childhood on one.  I’ve also watched one sink in less than 2 minutes (cleated genoa, shift caught the boat aback and rolled the cockpit coming under—and down she went).
All boats are subject to broaching and swamping, the Ensign being no exception. There is foam in fore and aft bulkheads and under the cuddy berths, so they don’t sink. I have seen one sink in Lake Canandaigua and heard of one sinking in Annapolis a few years back. Both times the owner removed the foam (probably waterlogged) and didn’t replace it and seal the bulkheads watertight as per the one design rule requiring it. 

ragha108

New Jersey
I have dry storage for the winter on Rt 9 in Beachwood for less if you buy a boat on a trailer. About $300 for the season. Shore Point is nice, brother kept his boat there one year and my big wooden sloop is next door at de Rouville’s. Beaton’s is up bay and in shallow, safe water. $2,000 for a slip is way too much. You could contact me about slips in Bretons Harbor, which is in the lagoon next to the Toms River Yacht Club. Slip is closer to $750 in a safe harbor. 

If you need to learn some skills before buying a boat, maybe I could take you and your family out on one of my boats to give you a feel of what it’s like to sail a keelboat come springtime or crew in a Wednesday night race or two. I’m in Toms River.
That is very generous of your part. I guess send me a private message with your contact. Im planning on starting the ASA101 class with the Keyport Sailing School once available again but maybe to speak more about marinas, slips, etc

gn4478

Perth Amboy, NJ
Both are fine little boats. On alternative would be to join the raritan yacht club in Perth Amboy. We have a shared boat program that is very cheap. Get some skills then your own.  Lots of opportunities to sail with others. 

sailor-cfn

Here's a local (ish) $3000 boat, which probably had much more than that poured into it the last few years: https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/boa/d/greenwich-1969-pearson-24/7400836482.html

No connection, and know nothing about the design.

Everything on a boat eventually needs replacing, and replacing things on a boat is expensive.

Buy the one with the newer lines, rigging, sails, outboard, hardware, etc., even if it costs a bit more.  

If you buy a $3000 boat, and put another $3000 into it,  you can maybe sell it for $3300.  So try and find a $3300  boat where the previous owner just dumped 3 grand into it.
Everything on a boat eventually needs replacing, and replacing things on a boat is expensive.

Buy the one with the newer lines, rigging, sails, outboard, hardware, etc., even if it costs a bit more.  

If you buy a $3000 boat, and put another $3000 into it,  you can maybe sell it for $3300.  So try and find a $3300  boat where the previous owner just dumped 3 grand into it.