Cape Dory Typhoon or Bristol (Corinthian) 19 to learn the ropes?

ragha108

New Jersey
@sailor-cfn That one does look like a sweet deal. I wouldn't be able to move it with my car though plus I was set of getting something under 20' to start.

Update: The gentleman who was selling the Corinthian, accepted my offer for $2.5k It was being offered at $3.7 with winter storage already paid. I am very grateful for his willingness to work with me. Initially I was looking for a sailing dinghy to learn my foundations but when I saw this one listed, it caught me eyes. Always loved the look of classic boats and this one fits that, somewhat. I like that is bigger than a dinghy, yet still easily manageable and very forgiving for a single person without much experience

Boat was fully restored back in 2008. It pretty much looks the same today, for the most part,  from pictures below. Last one being the most recent. I am really excited about this. Next step is to enroll in ASA101 & ASA103 classes. Too bad I have to wait until April here in NJ. In the meantime I will be taking advantage of what eSail simulator offers. 

Funny joke. I asked the guy from the marina where the boat is currently if I could start painting the hull right away. He smiled looked at me and said "Read a bit about it. I will see you in April Ricardo"

Once again thank you all for your time and words

7.jpeg

6.jpeg

5.jpeg

4.jpeg

3.jpeg

2.jpeg

1.jpeg

8.JPG

9.jpg

sailor-cfn

Congrats.

No need to wait to spring, fly down to the Caribbean in a few months and take some lessons! 

Last edited by a moderator:

sailor-cfn

Oh lala! Didn't think of that option! Any recommendations? Maybe Florida too for that matter?
I've taken lessons from Blue Water Sailing School, in Florida, and Maryland School of Sailing, in the Virgin Islands, but these were both big boat courses (ASA 103 & 104, and 106 respectively).  If you're new to sailing, I'd recommend learning on a small keelboat first.

While I've never taken a class from them, I know that Offshore Sailing School has bases in Florida and the Caribbean, and does a lot of small boat instruction.

sailor-cfn

Respectfully, I think it’s best to learn to sail on a small boat like a Sunfish (the list can be long). You get immediate feedback from your successes and mistakes plus small boats are great fun.
I agree.  But there aren't too many schools which teach adults on dinghys - instructors don't want to get wet.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
I taught all the GAZELA volunteers to sail. On 420 dinghies. They loved it.
She is a great ship. I almost worked on her in 2001 for the  teak re-decking but wound up over at the Independence Seaport Museum. Inside and temperature controlled, who could pass up on that offer? 

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
At some point in the 90s I asked JB about that-- they were going to use Agelique. At that time I forget whether he was with the Philadelphia Ship Preservation Guild at that time. Or if it was in fact a Gazela only organization. Some twists and turns in the channel over the years.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
He probably was at the Guild until the mid 90’s. He built many of the A Cats that were built at the ISM from ‘94 on.  The Gazela project ended up with a large load of teak delivered in the spring of 2001. IIRC JB was a main consultant for that project. 

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Thread drift aside, my Dad just sold his Ensign for $1 to a young kid and his parents today so the boat can stay local and his parents can learn to sail and participate in the class association.

Small keelboats are great fun!

32FF7542-9D4E-465F-852D-D1209DA0EEFA.jpeg

1B52C3C2-67F2-419D-9C74-DE698D8BF8F1.jpeg

ragha108

New Jersey
@Sail4beer My Bristol19 will be in the water soon. Next few weeks probably. I ended up keeping it at Shore Point Marina. I took the ASA 105 during the winter to learn my way through charts and using a compass. As far as sailing time, none other than virtual simulators which have been great at getting at least the theory practiced. Any chance, since you are close by, you would be willing to take me and my boat out for a couple hours? Figured every boat is somewhat different and best would be to have some guidance on my own? 

@Grande Mastere Dreade Hi! I have sent you a few PM with questions about changes in the rigging you recommended. Any chance we can continue that conversation privately. 

I can't wait to be in the water 

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
I can help. I’m next door at deRouville’s re-restoring my big cutter and working on a few boats there this week coming up. I’ll PM you my info and we can get you sailing like a pro in no time, guaranteed!

I’m busy today with our sailmaker installing a new roller furler and stepping the mast on a Typhoon to measure for new sails but should be around tomorrow and all week in Ocean Gate.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
All rigged and tuned for launch day! We are going to sail that boat…and then let you loose on your own :D

This is your home port with your marina across from me in the second pic and the river that’s going to teach you the skills to sail the world. This month we tackle the River, next month you tackle the Bay and report back.

DF4C1EAA-241A-4FD6-B4E9-66C11E207182.jpeg

image.jpg

EB3C810E-ECAE-4940-B852-2F7D6DC5A871.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: