Cape Dory Typhoon or Bristol (Corinthian) 19 to learn the ropes?

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Even with the rig as we set it up, we regularly hit 4.6 knots average on his GPS and our highest speed was 5.9, probably on a beam to broad reach. I don’t think it was when we were wing on wing, which Rico steered perfectly through. He could see the leech backwinding  and corrected his course to keep the wind angle working. 

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Even with the rig as we set it up, we regularly hit 4.6 knots average on his GPS and our highest speed was 5.9, probably on a beam to broad reach. I don’t think it was when we were wing on wing, which Rico steered perfectly through. He could see the leech backwinding  and corrected his course to keep the wind angle working. 
Learning to sail by the apparent wind angle is probably the single biggest hurdle for a beginner sailor. You've done a good job here! Kudos to both of you all

- DSK

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Steam, this is the fun part of being part of this community! Thanks for the good response!!

Once Rico saw how the sails and boat are positioned in relation to the wind vane, he got the concept that the masthead fly is always to wind and to keep the sails correctly aligned. I was impressed. He’s going to be taking his family out soon and I’ll help if I can! I’m happy as heck for him! :D

ragha108

New Jersey
@Grande Mastere Dreade the image you posted with the Vang doesn't seem to have the RF56131 block with integral cam cleat at the end of the line. I know you mentioned that is not your setup. Can I get away with another RF55101 at the end instead for Vang#10. I ask because someone on Ebay is selling 2 pairs of each 55101 and 45101 at half the retail price? 

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
@Grande Mastere Dreade the image you posted with the Vang doesn't seem to have the RF56131 block with integral cam cleat at the end of the line. I know you mentioned that is not your setup. Can I get away with another RF55101 at the end instead for Vang#10. I ask because someone on Ebay is selling 2 pairs of each 55101 and 45101 at half the retail price? 
The integral cam block on the end of the vang eliminates the need for  extra hardware on the deck and makes for a simple system albeit one you need to go up to the mast to adjust. If you already have a spare cleat and lead you can just put a turning block in place and lead the end to the deck hardware, otherwise you will have to install a lead and cleat. Its worth looking at what other similar sized boats have installed.

ragha108

New Jersey
ragha108, if that Bristol 19 is still available -- or if anyone else knows of one, I'll appreciate any information re contacting its owner.
Sorry @ashore I bought it at the end of last season and spent some time fixing a few things and adding some other things with the help of this forum. I hear people that get into sailing are always buying/selling so I will keep you in mind if I ever decide to sell it!

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
that's a 55mm and 40mm sheave..  kind of overkill for what you need... but they will work..

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
We had them, but we aren’t in big, open water. I told him that if he falls over board to stand up and I’d come back and get him. Solo sailing should always have aPFD.
Barnegat Bay... teaches a sailor the important lesson "don't try to sail where you see birds walking"

- DSK

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
I let my friend drive my Penn Yann tunnel drive powerboat back in 200ish. Drew 6” on a plane and 18” off. I said “don’t go near those swan by the northeast side of the bridge to Seaside” as I ducked into the little cuddy to get some beers at 30 knots. I rooted around for his favorite beer. 
By the time I stood back up, we were headed right at them when I saw their black legs holding them up. My buddy went to pull back on the throttle and I pulled him off the helm and gunned it harder. You could hear the propeller chewing River pebbles as we rode past. Got back to 2’ depth and let him drive again.

ashore

Sorry @ashore I bought it at the end of last season and spent some time fixing a few things and adding some other things with the help of this forum. I hear people that get into sailing are always buying/selling so I will keep you in mind if I ever decide to sell it!
Thanks for that.  I see you're someplace in NJ;  I wonder if I might come by just to look at her?  Where?

ragha108

New Jersey
Shore Point Marina in Toms River . PM me and let me know when you plan on coming

ragha108, if that Bristol 19 is still available -- or if anyone else knows of one, I'll appreciate any information re contacting its owner.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Come up and I’ll go out too! Rico went out by himself yesterday and had a blast. 

F5AF6E93-C697-44C8-92F0-7C5B5C9AF34D.jpeg

556D731E-A55B-41F3-9BD8-7AF8B410D797.png

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
Come up and I’ll go out too! Rico went out by himself yesterday and had a blast. 

View attachment 510831

View attachment 510832

so which POS governor thought he deserved a summer house in the middle of  island beach state park?

only bad thing about the Cor19 is that it's not really big enough to spend a night / weekend on it out on the water...  but the keel is shallow enough that you could sail up to MJ's pier and go get some refreshments..

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
I worked at Island Beach State Park for a few years The mansion was built by the family who donated the land to the State in 1956. I remember taking care of the mansion and when Governor Florio came down from Trenton for a weekend, one of our crew placed a Dump Florio bumper sticker on the master toilet seat lid. I wrote an abstract of the history of the Park for Governor Bradley and he actually read it and asked me to come discuss the problem more in depth with him. He appreciated what it was.