Car topping "heavier" boats

Bowchow

Anarchist
I've found myself in a bit of a dilemma, as I'm sailing star NA's and sandpiper nationals this year.  Problem is they're both up in mass in September, and I'm in Miami.  

My question is this.  The hitch is occupied with the star, which leaves the roof if I don't want to make two trips (I don't)   The sandpiper is around 1100 lbs which means a hoist would be needed which is fine... recommended max roof weight is something like 200 lbs "rolls eyes"  Would 4 cross bars and strapping it upside down 420 style be sufficient?  Or do you think I should go the way of the Finn sailors and build a cradle for the boat...  

I know Rick who puts an entire trailer set up on his roof, but he has substantial bracing done to support this  

vehicle in question is a 96 suburban 2500 6.5 

IMG_6919.JPG

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Do NOT do this! :eek:

The weight limit has to do with the strength of the roof AND the stability of the vehicle. On the off chance the roof does not buckle, look for the car to roll over at the first sharp turn.

poopie pants

Super Anarchist
the Bu
rick.jpg

sailforbeer

Here
Could you make a "rack" to flip the sandpiper over on top of the star?  Assuming the star trailer axle and tongue could handle the additional load.  The rack could be in two halves with rebates cut into it to take the masts in between the boats.  The Burb with a 6.5l could handle the towing no problem.  Does the Star trailer have brakes?

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
Could you make a "rack" to flip the sandpiper over on top of the star?  Assuming the star trailer axle and tongue could handle the additional load.  The rack could be in two halves with rebates cut into it to take the masts in between the boats.  The Burb with a 6.5l could handle the towing no problem.  Does the Star trailer have brakes?
I'd do this. Except rather than have the Star support the weight of the Sandpiper, I'd fabricate a cradle that was bolted to the trailer and extended up past the sides of the Star to cross beams that the Sandpiper sits on. IDK if trailer suspension will handle extra weight though. 

Other options:

rent a long flatbed trailer to carry both boats on,  bow to bow, on their trailers.

Rent a large box truck to carry Sandpiper inside, tow Star behind.

cheapest is probably just getting your crew to drive a second vehicle, towing the second boat. Maybe $600 in gas? Prob can't build a strong car or boat-top cradle for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowchow

Anarchist
SFB, that's another thought that crossed my mind.   They do it all the time in Europe with VSR's on top of stars.  

The trailer only has surge brakes.  Didn't think about renting one big trailer, liking that idea...  would keep west and tear off as well.  Going to look into it.   

casc27

Super Anarchist
wait that's just photoshop...right? :eek:
The shadows look too detailed and accurate for me to go with photoshop. Plus the trailer on the roof is tied/secured to the roof rack. That's another detail that would come from real life (or a very, very clever photoshop operator).

Can you imagine the carnage if that rig gets tangled up in a serious crosswind?

Bowchow

Anarchist
^^^^ that's the Rick I'm talking about.  

Real rig.   He's a star sailor.   He's gone cross country with it multiple times.   Star in tow and star on top.  

The scary part part is lifting the whole boat/trailer rig ontop of the truck! 

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
^^^^ that's the Rick I'm talking about.  

Real rig.   He's a star sailor.   He's gone cross country with it multiple times.   Star in tow and star on top.  

The scary part part is lifting the whole boat/trailer rig ontop of the truck! 
No kidding! Care to share how he gets it onto the truck roof?

ease hike trim

Super Anarchist
The Star on the trailer on the roof is common in Europe.

Bowchow - I am the PRO for the Sandpiper Nationals.  PM me and I can find you a turnkey charter boat here.  

There's probably 25 Sandpipers here that won't be used for the Nationals.

Just bring your sail.

WGWarburton

Anarchist
Scotland
The Star on the trailer on the roof is common in Europe.
Really?  I find that hard to believe... A Star weighs over 650Kg... Even if the keel was removed the hull would exceed the weight limits for the vast majority of European cars and vans... with the trailer added in as well? Surely not...!

It might be possible, might even be legal (though I doubt it) but common? I say again.. surely not! 

Cheers,

W.

Latest posts