Carbon Cutter No. three launched last week.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Three down and one to go.

Boats are being kept as close to identical as possible including the paint job.

BP no. 3  4.jpg

BP no. 3 2.jpg

BP no. 3 3.jpg

BP no. 3.jpg

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
Three down and one to go.

Boats are being kept as close to identical as possible including the paint job.

View attachment 454870
Does that mean that improvements/changes made to the later hulls are modded back into the earlier ones, or are the furnishings and equipment "locked" into the design as they would be in a full on production line?

Beautiful boats Mr. Perry. Well done.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Remodel:

Not sure. I think the plan was to replace the conventional batteries on No. 1 with lithium batteries but I don't know if that was ever done. I can ask.

The change on deck to No. one was the bottom end fitting for the spin poles that are stowed on the mast. That would have been implemented on 2 and 3.

For No 3 I think there will probably be no changes. Client wants all four boats to be identical. I suspect over time there will be some minor evolution in all four boats. Seems logical as the boats are sailed more.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Those are magnificent boats.  Their designed use case won't be everyone's use case, but that's the way of design, and these boats seem both very well-optimised for their purpose and exceptionally elegant.

Congratulations, @Bob Perry.  Your versatility is amazing to watch: you can knock 'em out of the park in so many different genres.  Of all your contemporaries, I think that only Nigel Irens can move so nimbly between very different types of design, and even he seems to have less variety.

robtoujours

Somewhere
Very impressive Mr Perry! 

as I write this I’m looking out my window at a neighbors Valiant 40. Easily the sweetest lines in the yard. 

Now how about designing a modest aft cockpit moderate displacement 34 foot twin keeler with a junk rig? ;-) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Having spent the last week staring at the remarkably uniform and mostly uninteresting TransPac boats, it’s a real pleasure to see another picture of the carbon cutters, which are definitely fun to look at and to dream about.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Should have named them all the same. Then just register one boat and say you've lost the registration paper for boat #2 and 3 and get replacement registration papers. Saves a lot on the taxes and/or annual fees :)

Seriously they look nice Bob. Running backstays too?

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
@Bob Perry I think I speak for the entire Peanut Gallery by saying we would love to see photos/video of the boat(s) sailing. Wonderful addition to boats afloat!

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Bull:

I believe I have posted vids of the boat sailing. I have posted many pics of the boats under sail.

2109963395_yow4.jpg

1550815281_yow14.jpg

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Zonk:

Runners for the staysail only when needed. It's a pretty stout carbon stick.

260775341_J6.jpg

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
Those are magnificent boats.  Their designed use case won't be everyone's use case, but that's the way of design, and these boats seem both very well-optimised for their purpose and exceptionally elegant.

Congratulations, @Bob Perry.  Your versatility is amazing to watch: you can knock 'em out of the park in so many different genres.  Of all your contemporaries, I think that only Nigel Irens can move so nimbly between very different types of design, and even he seems to have less variety.
Does that mean that you know what the actual use case for these boats is?

Magnificent as this whole project is, I’m still baffled by the whole “I’ll have four of them, please” thing :D

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS

Magnificent as this whole project is, I’m still baffled by the whole “I’ll have four of them, please” thing :D
We did hear the 2 boats were intended to sail to The Place Down Under, and I've seen few boats that looked more capable for the trip.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist

Alpha, in one of the previous threads, Bob explained that these boats are intended for offshore passagemaking.  Not for noodling around coasts or for circumnavigation, but offshore passages.   And the four of them is to allow them to be dispersed around the globe near the owner's family.

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
Alpha, in one of the previous threads, Bob explained that these boats are intended for offshore passagemaking.  Not for noodling around coasts or for circumnavigation, but offshore passages.   And the four of them is to allow them to be dispersed around the globe near the owner's family.
I did gather that, Two Legs. Sounds great to have one East Coast, one West Coast, one in Europe and the last Downunder somewhere.

But surely the point of passage making is to connect these areas under sail? For example if you take your European boat to cross the Atlantic, you end up with two boats on the US east coast...

On the other hand they seem to be immensely over-specced for local cruising...

I don’t want to imply in any way that Mr Lucky is wrong in what his plan is, just that I don’t understand it... :D

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
I did gather that, Two Legs. Sounds great to have one East Coast, one West Coast, one in Europe and the last Downunder somewhere.

But surely the point of passage making is to connect these areas under sail? For example if you take your European boat to cross the Atlantic, you end up with two boats on the US east coast...

On the other hand they seem to be immensely over-specced for local cruising...

I don’t want to imply in any way that Mr Lucky is wrong in what his plan is, just that I don’t understand it... :D
Fair points, Alpha ... but I guess when you have that much money, then the cost of shipping the Yurp boat back to Yurp is small change.   Similarly with the other boats.

And when you have paid professionals managing the boat fleet, it's no hassle for the owner to stick a few pins in a world map and say "make it so, my good chap".

guerdon

Anarchist
It would be really cool to get 3 clones of the original owners. and crew and the. have an around the world race you could watch it 24/7 and gamble on the out come.  It could be fixed [by the Mob] and we would never be certain who really won.   Think of the discussions.