Carbon Cutter No. three launched last week.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
It would be really cool to get 3 clones of the original owners. and crew and the. have an around the world race you could watch it 24/7 and gamble on the out come.  It could be fixed [by the Mob] and we would never be certain who really won.   Think of the discussions.
I think that these boats would benefit from a more interesting race course than the usual clipper route.  How about a circumnavigation of the Americas, from St Johns to St Johns, then

1. Leave Kvitøya (Svalbard) to stbd
  2. Leave Reykjavik (Iceland) to port
  3. Leave Dungeness (England) to starboard
  4. Leave Cape Horn to starboard
  5. Leave Kangiqsujuaq (northern Quebec) to starboard

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
I think they’re exceptional also but the big white rudder is distracting at this angle. Seems like carrying the grey sheer line stripe on the rudder and tiller would look better. Flame away. 

672F89AF-669A-4CE7-86D8-DFF542AC16E5.jpeg

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
It floats on its lines and looks super. That’s all you can ask for and f painting a sheer or boot stripe on the rudder, it looks fine.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
The whole exercise of giving the stainless fitting a mat finish (sorry, I dunno the technical term) must have cost a few quid, but the result is stunning.  Way nicer than shiny polished.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Transom hung rudders like this have to be pretty big on this size of boat. Look at the size of the composite gudgeons! I agree they're not the best feature of the boat. But the owner wanted a transom hung rudder and that is what he got.

My guess is the owner wants the ultimate bug out platform for him and his family pre-positioned around the globe.

When the world ends, he can get to at least one of them and set sail for some area not affected by global warming sea level rise/pandemic/meltdown of world economy/nuclear war/asteriod strike etc. 

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
I think they’re exceptional also but the big white rudder is distracting at this angle. Seems like carrying the grey sheer line stripe on the rudder and tiller would look better. Flame away.
How about cutting off the unused trailing edge of the rudder above the waterline?  Helpful only to the tiller, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Proa:

That is an aesthetic choice. Simple as that. Obviously I like it as drawn as does the client. I don't like "anemic" rudder heads. That's an East Coast look. I go for a more robust PNW look.

Kenny:

That might work. As was already pointed out by someone here, the bootstripe was supposed to be carried onto the rudder. I talked to Jim Betts about that today. They made the same mistake on No. 1

013.JPG

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
My guess is the owner wants the ultimate bug out platform for him and his family pre-positioned around the globe.

When the world ends, he can get to at least one of them and set sail for some area not affected by global warming sea level rise/pandemic/meltdown of world economy/nuclear war/asteriod strike etc. 
It has always seemed to me that the flaw in that plan is that by time things are sufficiently bad that you want to abandon home and relocate to somewhere remote, the said remote place is unlikely to be welcoming refugees.  So you have sailed the ocean in your perfect getaway boat, but now what?

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
It has always seemed to me that the flaw in that plan is that by time things are sufficiently bad that you want to abandon home and relocate to somewhere remote, the said remote place is unlikely to be welcoming refugees.  So you have sailed the ocean in your perfect getaway boat, but now what?
By the time you abandon home, someone else has staked out swiped your boat.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Leggs:

Not in this case. The people who will get custody of the two boats out of the US have been living out of the US for years. They are already "home".

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
By the time you abandon home, someone else has staked out swiped your boat.
Mr Lucky has a private island with his own private marina, so any boat moored there is less likely to be swiped than something near a city.  

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
No Leggs, that is not correct. He does not own the entire island. He does own a marina.

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
Totally cool Bob, I go by one and two that are tied side by side on Orcatraz Island and wondered what the timing for three and four was.  God I love crazy wealthy people, wonderful it is continuing to completion and all 4 beauties are being built.  Cheers Mate!

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Longy: Flowerman never ran the program. Flowerman was and still is the clients pro skipper and involved with rigging the boats. He had nothing to do with any design decisions.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Zen Master:

We will be going sailing on No. 3 in the next two weeks. Not sure when. Jim Betts will probably give me a days notice. Hopefully.

Do you want to go for a sail?

joe.jpg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Transom hung rudders like this have to be pretty big on this size of boat. Look at the size of the composite gudgeons! I agree they're not the best feature of the boat. But the owner wanted a transom hung rudder and that is what he got.

The Falklands maybe?

That worked very well for some locals here.

William Curtis, from Mission, BC, did extensive research on places they could settle that would be safe in the event of a nuclear conflict. The family moved to Port Stanley, in the Falkland Islands – an isolated community far from strife and conflict. In 1981.

A few months later, Argentina invaded the Falklands,