Carbon Cutter No. three launched last week.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Jody:

nine years old, the tallest kid in her class and she started playing water polo like her Dad last week. Not exactly like her Dad but it will come in time. She is the apple of my eye, obviously.

View attachment 457375
I am so happy for you and yours for having such an angel in your midst. It is time that we build that lapstrake double ender from your cartoon sketch VIOLET that I modeled and used for those Christmas cards. Might have to stretch it out a couple more feet at the rate she is growing!

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
I am so happy for you and yours for having such an angel in your midst. It is time that we build that lapstrake double ender from your cartoon sketch VIOLET that I modeled and used for those Christmas cards. Might have to stretch it out a couple more feet at the rate she is growing!
Or maybe Violet could design her own boat, with Grandpa providing a wee ;)  bit of technical support.  

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
The Johnstones have not been boat-builders since the J/24 prototype "Ragtime" was launched in 1975.  The are a design/marketing company who let other people carry the risks of running a factory to produce a product with highly volatile demand, and let those builders also carry the risk of product liability claims.  They are an early and extreme example of the outsourcing process which lets bosses shed risk and increase profits,

Sure, they have outlasted most of their competitors, but at the expense of the people who actually build the boats.  Two of their builders have gone bust, and most of their model line-up is now built in France.   The only American thing left is the design and marketing.
The model's not unique. Oyster did exactly the same thing. Or they did until the new owner picked it up and didn't understand that but of the model.

No one makes the builders bid for the work...

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
The model's not unique. Oyster did exactly the same thing. Or they did until the new owner picked it up and didn't understand that but of the model.
Indeed, the J-boats model is not unique.  But they are one of the prime practitioners of that model in the boat business.

Oyster had some similarities, but also key differences: along they way they brought out Landamores, who had done the fit-out.  They still had outside moulders.   But Oyster didn't leave warranty issues to its subcontractors, like J-boats does.  AIUI, if the Polina Star III sinking had happened to a J-boat, the Johnstone family would have had no liability.

Then after the crash, the new owner took it all in house.

No one makes the builders bid for the work...
I think that's too simplistic.   With any successful exploitative business model, suppliers may have nowhere else to go.  

rstone

Mobile, AL
I had a call about 5 years ago from Everett Pearson's brother. I think his name was George. He was writing a book about Pearson. We chatted for over an hour. It was a most interesting conversation. I asked every question I could think of despite the fact that he had called with questions for me. I have not heard of the book being published. Pity.

View attachment 457298
Clint Pearson passed away last year at 91. No knowledge if the book was completed. Someone from the old Bristol list serve might know.