Caring for Seniors

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
My mom, 93yrs sharp, fell the other night and is in a local hospital. I'm the local kid and I adore her and my GF is great about everything. She's heading (I'll take her) to rehab for a week or two. What are some good ideas to brighten her days. Please, no balloons.
My mother passed a few weeks ago. Today would have been her hundredth birthday. She was tired and had had enough.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I’m so sorry to hear this. Make sure you visit her when Jeopardy is on so you can play together. Does she do crosswords?

She has a BS from Goucher and an MS from Johns Hopkins, they offered a full ride through medical school but she was in love. I do them well but she'll beat me.

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
Next to mom's nursing home there was a 10 acre wildland park with a stream and attached 3 acre meandering duck pond. On sunny days I'd push her in the wheel chair all over the trails and on the dock over the pond. She loved it and I enjoyed the quiet time we spent looking at the wildlife and talking. It was an easy simple thing to do. Even just rolling her around the residential neighborhood looking at gardens and houses was great. These are memories I hold most dearly.

Captain Ketamine

Anarchist
Perth WA
sorry to hear/read. Its always tricky how vulnerable we all get as we age.
You visiting is most important. Sounds like she is a very bright woman. Anything that she likes that she finds intellectually stimulating. Of course as mentioned consider recording an oral history. (I think the Smithsonian has handy hints on that).

try to find out why she fell. Was it simple mechanical trip, is there some underlying Medical reason? Is there something remedial eg medication (or poly pharmacy) An unfortunately common cause of falls. Is she getting a geriatrician to assess her? They are usually good at looking at the whole picture (medical issues, functional capacity ability to be independent etc).

If she was independent, can she be improved to get her back to that?
Those that do well with physio therapy get it regular and frequent so it’s enhanced when family get involved to assist after instruction by professional.
If you rely on just one visit a week for physio in the early stages the patientS dont do so well.
All the best

More Cowbell2

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
Ask her all the questions about your family history now.

Go over all the old family photos with her and get the people named.

I couldn't believe how much of that stuff went away with my dad.
Our kids gave this to us as a Christmas gift. They could either input their own weekly question, or pick one of the ones on the site. You can upload relevant pictures too. At the end of the year, they print out a book with all the stories and pictures for you. It was a nice way to preserve the history. She may need assistance in working with it, depending on her computer savviness.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
sorry to hear/read. Its always tricky how vulnerable we all get as we age.
You visiting is most important. Sounds like she is a very bright woman. Anything that she likes that she finds intellectually stimulating. Of course as mentioned consider recording an oral history. (I think the Smithsonian has handy hints on that).

try to find out why she fell. Was it simple mechanical trip, is there some underlying Medical reason? Is there something remedial eg medication (or poly pharmacy) An unfortunately common cause of falls. Is she getting a geriatrician to assess her? They are usually good at looking at the whole picture (medical issues, functional capacity ability to be independent etc).

If she was independent, can she be improved to get her back to that?
Those that do well with physio therapy get it regular and frequent so it’s enhanced when family get involved to assist after instruction by professional.
If you rely on just one visit a week for physio in the early stages the patientS dont do so well.
All the best
The above words are great. FYI, my mom lives independent and assisted care is not an option yet. She's simply outlived her body. Please don't misinterpret, I want her to die at home.

Captain Ketamine

Anarchist
Perth WA
The above words are great. FYI, my mom lives independent and assisted care is not an option yet. She's simply outlived her body. Please don't misinterpret, I want her to die at home.
I perfectly understand your sentiments. you want to ensure she is able to continue to be as independent as possible. I wish you all the best. It’s a journey I’m currently going through as well. Regards CK

Foreverslow

Super Anarchist
Seeing her is the best.
If she has any buddies still kicking, invite them to tag along
They will enjoy each other's company and it is less quiet time you have to fill.

Going for a trip is great, but I will caution that you should check with the doctor first.
after a fall, if there is a chance of clots being in her body, she could have a stroke should it break off and clog somewhere more dangerous.
lost my 93 yo aunt to a stroke days after a bad fall while recuperating at a nursing home.

Used to take her out to watch the fireworks from the boat every 4th of July followed by a couple beers at the yacht club.
The clock is counting down on all of us.. Make the time count!

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
My mother passed a few weeks ago. Today would have been her hundredth birthday. She was tired and had had enough.
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like she had a pretty good run, though.

My mom, 93yrs sharp, fell the other night and is in a local hospital. I'm the local kid and I adore her and my GF is great about everything. She's heading (I'll take her) to rehab for a week or two. What are some good ideas to brighten her days. Please, no balloons.
No great suggestions, but good wishes for her recovery.

When a person lives well into their 90s, you can't really say they didn't have enough time. The fact is, whether we live 9 years or 90, we're each given the exact same amount - one lifetime, and that just has to be enough.

My mom is 93 and killin' it. Still drives, lives on her own in a big waterfront home (I pay her property taxes), paints, cleans her own home. We expect she will be fine until she isn't, and will change plans then. For now just keep her in her home. She enjoys watching the evening sailboat races and marine traffic. The main issue is that I'm the most local of her kids, and I live 2000 miles away.

She still has local friends, in particular at the Providence Art Club, where she still takes Tuesday lessons and paints. Her painting teacher, a friend, sent me this last Tuesday.

1663771946266.png

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
If a senior is able to get out in a car, be sure to hit the drive-through. A coffee, cold drink or ice cream cone can make someone's day.