Cat or Proa?

KRC

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
It looks to me like a monohull that can turn itself into a proa (maybe even a tri). This would combine the stability of the proa with the relative ease of changing direction of a monohull. However, I don't see a bulb on the keel which says to me that this boat spends most of its time as a proa.

HamishMacdonald

Super Anarchist
I'd call it either a monohull with moving ballast (if the outrigger is meant to be on the windward side) or 2/3 of a trimaran if the outrigger's supposed to be on the leeward side.

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
Think I would call it a tacking proa - not sure though.

Not sure whether you sail with the float to leeward or to windward - I would guess to windward, which gives you a nicer profile on the leeward side of the main hull. Perhaps water ballast in the float up to windward?

Getting the engineering on the beam must be..interesting. As would gybing - when would you slide the beam so that your leeward float comes in next to the hull, and the windward float is extended.

HamishMacdonald

Super Anarchist
When sailing downwind I'd be tempted to sail the boat as a trimaran, with each float half-way out, to stop rolling and let you push the boat harder. This would also make gybing easier.

I'd imagine that tacking would be harder, unless the float/ballast could switch sides seriously quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts