Catalina 30 variants?

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
Did Catalina ever make a 30 with a higher topsides, ie, more freeboard than some other Cat 30s?

I know all about TM, BS etc but wondering about freeboard variants, if any..

Red Sky

I tried to learn all I could about them when I owned my ‘85 in the mid 2000’s, but never heard of anything like that. Try the Catalina 30 owners group.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
Okay.

My 2 neighbors both have Cat 30s, one with a tabernacle rig, but the freeboard is about 6-7' diiferent.

Sinking?

I have notified the marina management; owner does not respond to my own calls.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
I thought about that but did not want to appear to be enjoying his slow & neglectful tragedy; it's definitely a zombie boat.

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
This_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I once notified management about a boat that seemed to be running the bilge pump an awful lot...  But it turned out that I just didn't have a clue about marine air conditioning  :huh:

Still, I'm used to looking stupid, and sometimes something really needs attention.  

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Okay.

My 2 neighbors both have Cat 30s, one with a tabernacle rig, but the freeboard is about 6-7' diiferent.

Sinking?

I have notified the marina management; owner does not respond to my own calls.
Is the top of the bottom paint under water?

There was a Catalina 30 special edition called the "LowRider". This one had the mini chain steering wheel and velvet interior.

Other options included a Virgin Guadalupe mural on the transom along with glitter paint. These models were further modified with pumps that made the bow and stern dance in the slip via remote hydraulics. The 30 also was popular because it could sleep up to 8 vatos. 

It's possible the hydraulics may be stuck open on the vessel you are describing. Look for the LowRider gold placard to verify.

CruiserJim

Anarchist
I once notified management about a boat that seemed to be running the bilge pump an awful lot...  But it turned out that I just didn't have a clue about marine air conditioning  :huh:

Still, I'm used to looking stupid, and sometimes something really needs attention.  
I did the exact same thing once.   There aren't that many sailboats with AC in SoCal.  Even though the owner was a bit of a grump, I didn't want his boat to sink. 

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
with no pics htf would know?

--Kevin
You don't need "pics" to know if there is a Cat 30 variant with a different freeboard. I was told that the 270 & 290 are the charter versions of the 27 & 28, so I was wondering if there was also a charter or cruiser version of the 30. The tabernacle mast is certainly not typical.

FWIW the boat has 7-9" of water in the cockpit, up over the speakers & engine controls. Haven't looked to see if the water is up to the companionway lip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts