catamarans with all accomondations on the bridgedeck - reusing ex racers/daycharter

Tylo

Sweden
Do you have any more info on this boat? I am looking to do the same with my ex racer and this looks like an interesting option
It's kind of hard to tell but I *think* it could be "Lord Dickie", a Velum 72.
It was on the market for some time but looks to be sold. Pretty cool thing!
1660839243297.png

1660839264590.png

More pictures here: https://www.pjyachts.com/project/velum-72/?lang=en

Edit: Even more pictures here: https://moreboats.com/boats/custom/sailing-catamaran/319830

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
I thought that boats was Caradines? Did he sell it already?? Lots more carbon in that boat then earlier Stealths.

I thought that boats was Caradines? Did he sell it already?? Lots more carbon in that boat then earlier Stealths.
Not sure about that but the boat’s in Australia now and Bob was skipper in the surf to city. Pretty sure Allen Cawardine would have been skipper if he still owned it ? I was surprised to see that Bob was back into racing as I hadn’t heard much about him since the days he was campaigning ‘Hurfords Hardware’.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
Cool thread Paul, right up my alley! I’m a huge fan of podcats and now on number 3 over the last 30 years. The latest one being Cac🌵us Island which is my version of a cruising podcat while the first two were more racing oriented. Most of the accommodations are in the pod with the head and shower plus 4 single bunks in the hulls. The thing I like most about podcats is the quietness in the living area due to not being open to the hulls and not copping wave slap noise from the hulls as in most bridge deck cats I have sailed aboard.

View attachment 532809

View attachment 532810
I may (likely) be getting my pod cats confused, but did you design a ~60'er that did a Brisbane-Gladstone at least couple of decades ago? I don't recall the name, but I read it then took off into the Pacific with a small crew and a large quiver of surfboards.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego

Multihull-Regatta-2015-WOW-300x200.jpg

A SUCCESS STORY

A SUCCESS STORY IN PHUKET, THAILAND

Stealth Cats launched to date
There are now 15 sailing cats and 5 power cat on the water.
The sailing cats range from the very fast semi race/semi cruising Stealth 11.8’s to a fully fitted out and live-board Stealth 13c charter cat with all the bells and whistles; Or the Stealth 13s, a faster more basic 13 metre version plus a fast world cruising 14 metre now 3/4 of the way around the world with well over 35,000 nm under her hulls.
In 2020 two new sail cats were launched.
A new Stealth 12.6, ‘Fez’ designed for live-aboard charter and sailing courses for Java Yachting, our 1st repeat customer and Alan June Carwardine’s 4th Stealth cat. This time a very fast 12.2 Stealth, ‘Coconuts’ that is fully fitted out for serious cruising. The boat has a set of cruising sails and a set of racing sails and came overall 2nd in her 1st regatta, the Jai Dee regatta organised by the Phuket Yacht Club.

I guess Alan didn't hold onto Coconuts too long. She was still in the shed when we visited during purchase of "Galeforce"

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
1660892208547.png

I helped install this rig. They dropped the first one sailing back from Tahiti. To find more pics look up "joey cabell catamaran" (DON"T look for 'Hokulea") the Hawaiian Voyaging canoe has that

see if anyone can find pics of the R36 the Joker, or Joey Cabells' Joe Quigg, cat.
I remember reading an article in Surfer or Surfing magazine 40+years ago about Joey and some mates sailing his podcat to Tahiti and back. His story and photos totally got me psyched to do similar trips.
hey @[email protected] I have never designed a 60’ podcat and the only one that I can think you might be talking about is AMA TWO which was designed and built by Bob Burgess which he sailed to New Caledonia several times. Cheers, Gerald.

1CAB5D36-D920-4483-8A77-F64C663075A1.png

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
1660894878691.png

I believe this cat was owned by an uncle of mine for many years "GUSTO" If that's true, it had a very nice wood wing mast, which got too old & brittle & finally exploded into splinters. I put the new rig into this cat also

Sorry for the cheesy vid, Quigg built this (same hulls) before Cabell's 'Hokulea". Originally main only, no headsail. Can't remember the original owner's name, old hippy type of sailor, felt Cabell ruined the concept by piling on sail area.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
"I remember reading an article in Surfer or Surfing magazine 40+years ago about Joey and some mates sailing his podcat to Tahiti and back. His story and photos totally got me psyched to do similar trips.
hey @[email protected] I have never designed a 60’ podcat and the only one that I can think you might be talking about is AMA TWO which was designed and built by Bob Burgess which he sailed to New Caledonia several times. Cheers, Gerald."

Ama Two - that's the one, like a scaled up Pronto!
Google isn't bringing up photos of either:(

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
That movie could be good. They list "Lewie Wake" as an interviewee, he was on Tahiti trip. All onboard were suffering from ciguatera starting the day before they left. When the rig fell it seriously injured on of the group (IIRC 5 onboard). Lewie said it was the most horrifying scream he'd ever heard a human produce.

That movie could be good. They list "Lewie Wake" as an interviewee, he was on Tahiti trip. All onboard were suffering from ciguatera starting the day before they left. When the rig fell it seriously injured on of the group (IIRC 5 onboard). Lewie said it was the most horrifying scream he'd ever heard a human produce.
I remember about the crew getting ciguatera after eating grouper that they speared. Wow, that pod must have been cosy with 5 crew aboard. Do you kno if the magazine article describing the trip is available anywhere on the net, I’d love to read it again!

"I remember reading an article in Surfer or Surfing magazine 40+years ago about Joey and some mates sailing his podcat to Tahiti and back. His story and photos totally got me psyched to do similar trips.
hey @[email protected] I have never designed a 60’ podcat and the only one that I can think you might be talking about is AMA TWO which was designed and built by Bob Burgess which he sailed to New Caledonia several times. Cheers, Gerald."

Ama Two - that's the one, like a scaled up Pronto!
Google isn't bringing up photos of either:(
I saw Ama Two when we were in Noumea in 2017, it’s owned by a New Cal local now. Bob built another cat called B52 after selling Ama Two, it’s a great looking boat also. I couldn’t find photos of Ama but found these of B52. Though she looks more like a bridgedeck cat most of her accom is upstairs like a podcat.

1F4968C8-F317-4E8B-A587-B36C70BF5F66.png

6D75B6C2-C720-4B68-9B3E-80CBA98D2B94.png

Tylo

Sweden
Reminds me a little of one of the coolest cats I know of - Cutloose.
According to the specs on Grainger's website there is no accommodation in front of the mast bulkhead - in fact it's a watertight.

1661058256282.png

1661058271184.png

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
FWIW (zippo), Re: Joey Cabell. When I was a gremmie learning to surf and idolizing surf heroes, Joey Cabell, Jeff Hakman and Reno Abelliera surfed in the styles that I tried to emulate. Joey Cabell was known for speed down the line, Hakman and Abelliera drove off the bottom with power. And, my very first surfboard was an old, used Joe Quigg.

Last edited:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
A friend of mine just bought that Quigg cat in Waikiki.

I remember that the bizarre thing about Joey and crew getting ciguatera from the spearfished grouper on the Tahiti trip was that the only food they had for the trip home was canned tuna! That and the dismasting made getting home without starving pretty dubious but the figured out a jury rig and actually made the passage home quicker than they expected under full rig. Easily driven boat for sure.