catamarans with all accomondations on the bridgedeck - reusing ex racers/daycharter

can-UK

Dubai
Vitalia 2 (ex Orange) had a pod installed. I’ve heard that she can no longer fly a hull.. not that you would want to in a ‘cruising‘ cat.

Before
3D3FFEA4-4677-41F3-9772-AFC3B0D5895F.jpeg

After
E765342C-1170-4A5B-A4B2-7DBCDDE5377A.jpeg

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
I'd be really interested in the weight study for that addition. In the first iteration (non stop RTW) there had to be a lot of weight in food/sails/spares/etc to support all the crew & the boat.
I'm sure it could still fly a hull.

JohnP

Here is a 10m design abeit one that hasn't been built. Some similarity to Green Flash perhaps. Toilet and bedroom starboard hull, galley and sitting area port hull. Demountable with a system of wedges rather than bolts to join cross beams to hulls. Swing keels. The folding shelter in the middle would slide forward on rails for standing at the wheel or back for sitting at helm with better weather protection, or fold away altogether. Lower part of hulls strip planked, the rest plywood or could ideally be all foam sandwich with mainly flat panels. At one point I had a finite element analysis for the structure which showed up, amongst other things, the need for extra reinforcement around the main openings into the hulls due to torsion load in a 'lee bow bury' scenario.

Cat_02.JPG

Cat_05.JPG
Cat_06.JPG

gregoire

France
Hi there,

An exemple of a very special french cat re-build for street, I mean port spectacle : Cloud-eater : Google translate :

"Racing catamaran from 1987, this Formula 40' (archi-
tecte Nigel Irens) was skippered by Pierre Le Maout and
Yves Parlier as Data General. It is then
sold to others and used differently. After having taken
lightning, it was put aside and dismantled in Sète in 2010.
Since 2015, Anne has been working on MangeNuage to
make a show sailboat: 5 years of major works, in-
innovation and creation in close collaboration with
architect Denis Kergomard. Catamaran-Scene, struc-
swinging trapeze rig, one of a kind rig:
nothing is ordinary on board."

A bit rough but could be interesting to ask them about sailing capabilities now (but I forgot sail plan switch).. If loading is a problem why not modify transom for a higher waterline (without excess of-course..) ?
image.jpg

Aloa

MossieFly

Cape Town
Neel Trimarans would be an obvious choice but contact asiacatamarans.com Alan Carwardine and ask about their X Series pod cats. Very sexy. Their popular Stealth range are fantastic. 40ft 3 tons and go like a Lotus Elise with its transom on fire. I would expect no less from the X Series.