CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Bela Fleck! That is a whole nother reality! Sort of a parallel universe thing! Thanks for bringing this into a rapidly deteriorating thread...

kdh

Super Anarchist
I think one has to mention local boy Tony Levin when mentioning the Chapman Stick. Did anyone see the King Crimson show this fall? They're better than they've ever been, which is saying a lot. Of course, you have to like their style of music.

115.jpg

SailAR

Anarchist
Bob - given the draft restrictions for Catari, would you share with us whether a centerboard was ever seriously considered?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
SailAR:

Yes, a centerboard was discussed in the very early stages of the design but I felt I could achieve my performance and stability goals without the complexity of a centerboard. A number of draft options were run through the VPP process.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Did I read it correctly on the Icon posts that she has a lifting bulb keel? But when I looked at the photos of the interior I dont see a space where the keel intrudes into the main cabin. How was that accomplished?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Maui:

You have some sever reading comprehension problems.

Not only that but you can't read a drawing.

I've done all I can to show you what we are doing. Who has done more? But you have to pay attention.

See me after class.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Me either Maui. I did once change the spark plugs and those other little tune up thingies on my 48 Chevy coupe. Thought I was Barney Oldfield I did.

No the keel is fixed. Very, very fixed.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Ah, ok. I must have been looking at another sled design that had a lifting bulb. Sorry. My bad. I'll take my ten lashes now. :D
On Icon? I thought it was a lifting keel Bob. At least I thought so when I looked at her thinking I might buy her. That was before I decided to come to you for a custom design. I thought we discussed Icon's lifting keel then. Maybe I am getting old......

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Ok, ok TomL just emailed me and told me I was confused. Yes, ICON has a lifting keel CATARI does not.

Maybe I'm getting old.

Maybe?

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Sorry for the confusion. Your discussion of the centerboard for CATARI made me think of lifting keel on ICON.

I see it now where the keel comes up. I assume hydraulics lift that up? I really like that design feature.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Maui:

Yes it's hydraulic and the walls of the hydraulic tubes are machined into the 17-4 forged keel fin. There was one place in the US that could do that machining.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Jody just sent me this rendering of CATARI. He is about as good as you get at this rendering stuff.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Thanks Grey. They are all welded up and in place on the boat now and look just like that. No way was I going to stick some agricultural looking davits on this yacht.

Here is some more of Rasputin's work. I think he is getting the hang of it. That hard looking dodger on the center cockpit is now gone and replaced by the low scuttle hatch you see on the other rendering.

Last edited by a moderator: