CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

ronbo

With the low scuttle hatch now replacing the center dodger the oval deadlight in the aft cockpit dodger looks out of place. Maybe another rectangular...in my humble opinion.

Ronbo

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Ronbo:

You can any shaped port you like in yours.

I like the oval.

I am the Robert Schumann of yacht designers.

Hobs: No. I have designed the coolest 9.5' dink you have ever seen. I want one. They are mocking it up now to work on the placement on the house top. We are splitting it down the middle! Woooo hoooooooo!

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Thanks Grey. They are all welded up and in place on the boat now and look just like that. No way was I going to stick some agricultural looking davits on this yacht.

Here is some more of Rasputin's work. I think he is getting the hang of it. That hard looking dodger on the center cockpit is now gone and replaced by the low scuttle hatch you see on the other rendering.

Why are there two bulkheads so close together under the center cockpit?

floating dutchman

Super Anarchist
Ronbo:

You can any shaped port you like in yours.

I like the oval.

I am the Robert Schumann of yacht designers.

Hobs: No. I have designed the coolest 9.5' dink you have ever seen. I want one. They are mocking it up now to work on the placement on the house top. We are splitting it down the middle! Woooo hoooooooo!
Now this sounds interesting!

New idea, and I cannot picture it in my head, Keep us posted please.

FD

Canon

yes
Thanks Grey. They are all welded up and in place on the boat now and look just like that. No way was I going to stick some agricultural looking davits on this yacht.

Here is some more of Rasputin's work. I think he is getting the hang of it. That hard looking dodger on the center cockpit is now gone and replaced by the low scuttle hatch you see on the other rendering.

Support for a deck stepped mizzen?

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Looks to me like it's under the main traveler. The next one back is under the mizzen.

I'm a skinny guy with long arms. I see a space like that and figure I'll be asked to somehow access it some day. ;)

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland

Support for a deck stepped mizzen?
Nah, nice guess. It is there to support the weight of the water because the center cockpit doubles as a jacuzzi when the mood strikes.

BTW, Rasputin, that is one fine piece of work there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
There is an exhaust run there.

Mizzen is supported by two posts that are built into the joinery in the aft cabin.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Niiiice work Rasp.
+1....really amazing.

Thanks HB and Jose,

I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with Bob on this project and was able to hone my craft, especially in the rendering realm on this handsome vessel. It is very rewarding to be able to 'foretell the future' in this manner and let Bob, the client, and the builder to get a real feel how the finished project should look. The response from the followers here on CA has been very rewarding to me as well, thanks to all who have commented. I've got lots more renders done throughout the project and someday I hope that Bob, PSC, and the client do a big glossy coffee table book on the design/build of the CATARI and I'll go through the whole collection and make available. Bob's webguru Tom has just the eye for this sort of thing and I should just turn the whole collection of the renders over to him if 'The Book' ever comes about.

Rasp

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia

That is simultaneously fantastic and doing my head in. Noice work Putin.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
There is a Facebook group called Liveaboard Sailboat. Someone just posted this about seeing Catari.

Maria Rizziello
Yesterday at 7:35am

I want to share with you the wonderful experience I had last week when I was fortunate to go on a tour of the Pacific Seacraft facility in Washington, NC. Nothing had prepared me for the immensity of the facility or the warmth of the greetings within. As I walked through huge warehouse sliding doors, I 'knew' as I saw a large, shiny dark hull that I was looking at their jewel, Catari. Bill Kund, my guide, laughed and explained I was looking at a 'normal' boat in for refit - and not nearly large enough to be Catari... amazing. I was guided into the office where I had the pleasure of meeting Steve Brodie, owner and guiding light of PS...this warm welcome was followed by an extensive tour of their factory. What amazed me right off the bat, again, was the immensity of the facility. Large ocean sailing vessels sat near one another in various stages of refitting...large, smaller and vessels in between being carefully and beautifully massaged back into sea ready state. The factory is further divided into little 'shops', technical, electrical, carpentry, metal working, upholstery, fabrication - each immaculately maintained and staffed by workers who can only be called artisans....proud artisans. When we finally entered yet another huge space, the many pictures on the PS website, FB or their newsletter did not prepare me for the size and beauty of Catari, the 61 footer whose progress we all have been following. Elegant is the first word to pass my lips...just elegant... As we climbed up a specially built stairway to board her, I thought of Michelangelo and the scaffolding he designed and built to work on his ceiling...artisans... standing upon her is just amazing! As we walked her length, Bill explained the many custom features designed and built with the owner's wishes and ideas in mind - truly a custom 'piece', not a cookie cutter build. While examining and marvelling over the intricate woodwork, I had the pleasure to meet David, a carpenter - an artist. What may be considered tedious work by some, like working on a ten thousand piece puzzle, David was excited about his work, exuberant to be a part of this incredible piece of floating art. This feeling of absolute pride of workmanship I noticed was evident in Jeremy, another carpenter who was working on three wooden cabin doors, each a different size, each beautifully handcrafted - you could feel and see his pride as he handled his work. Mike was no exception in the metal shop, fabricating pieces for the yacht that had a specific use but were works of art in themselves. Some of the most fascinating time was spent in watching five men working together as one, applying fiberglass to a hull mold. A sheet of fiberglass was laid, resin applied, and then the five men smoothed out each wrinkle as if in a choreographed dance. Many different weaves and thicknesses are used to give strength while maintaining a specific weight ratio, all engineered and monitored by a quality control supervisor. While I was intently watching this fascinating process, Bobby, one of the five master workers, suddenly jumped off of the large mold and explained to me it was just like working in papier mache...a wonderful analogy! My overall view of my visit - Fascinating on so many levels... Breathtaking - the scope and the beauty... Pride in workmanship and Mastery of Art... What a fortunate couple to have their dream evolve into Catari... and how incredible in today's mindset there is a company who allows its artisans the right and privilege to do it right, and create such beautiful yet seaworthy sailing ships. It was truly an incredible day and I hope each of you will someday have the privilege of a visit to this marvelous facility. Hope I haven't bored you!

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
There is a Facebook group called Liveaboard Sailboat. Someone just posted this about seeing Catari.

Maria Rizziello

I want to share with you the wonderful experience I had last week when I was fortunate to go on a tour of the Pacific Seacraft facility in Washington, NC. Nothing had prepared me for the immensity of the facility or the warmth of the greetings within. ... ...
Boatbuilding used to employ several thousand people in this area, down here in New Bern (about a 45min drive south) the Hattaras plant has been the biggest employer in town... boom times, of course. It's nice to think of them as "artisans" but it is in fact skilled labor, and they probably figure they are among the lucky ones to still have jobs where their hard-earned skills bring in more than working at Wal-Mart.

Pacific Seacraft has a good reputation in the community, along with the reputation for boats they build. I hope they make a success in the long run.

FB- Doug

kdh

Super Anarchist

Maria Rizziello

I want to share with you the wonderful experience I had last week when I was fortunate to go on a tour of the Pacific Seacraft facility in Washington, NC. Nothing had prepared me for the immensity of the facility or the warmth of the greetings within. ... ...
Boatbuilding used to employ several thousand people in this area, down here in New Bern (about a 45min drive south) the Hattaras plant has been the biggest employer in town... boom times, of course. It's nice to think of them as "artisans" but it is in fact skilled labor, and they probably figure they are among the lucky ones to still have jobs where their hard-earned skills bring in more than working at Wal-Mart.

Pacific Seacraft has a good reputation in the community, along with the reputation for boats they build. I hope they make a success in the long run.

FB- Doug
That's great. Perplexing to me that some seem to think otherwise these days but businesses create jobs and it's heartening to me to know that this is appreciated, Doug.