CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
My sailing style is more driven to the Swan but I know I would much rather have the Perry. Funny how when you get older you appreciate different things. A beautiful sunny afternoon broad reaching towards the Caribbean or turning down from the weather mark with a big ease as the Assy goes up....
I feel the same way. I love the Swans, but If I have the bank for one of those, I may just have Bob design me his interpretation of the Swan 53, but better. ;)

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I'd take the Swan. It may not be perfect but it's close enough.

Just finished 4.5 hour meeting with my newest client. He likes my cooking. I'm drained but eager to start getting his ideas down. I can see the boat in my head already. Hope all the shit fits in it he wants. Wants me to break the cabin trunk at the mast. Just like the old guys did it. I can do that. Almost all of my cartoons are like that. He's a big fan of Bill Atkins. Headroom is over rated. I'll go for the TALLY HO MAJOR look with an all cf hull and deck. You have never seen a boat such as this one will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Just finished 4.5 hour meeting with my newest client. He likes my cooking. I'm drained but eager to start getting his ideas down. I can see the boat in my head already. Hope all the shit fits in it he wants. Wants me to break the cabin trunk at the mast. Just like the old guys did it. I can do that. Almost all of my cartoons are like that. He's a big fan of Bill Atkins. Headroom is over rated.
I like. Foredeck space looks good and works good.
Headroom is for cooking and getting yer clothes on. The rest of the time, sitting or stooping works fine.

I blame the fashion for treating the v-berth as the main sleeping cabin. In the old days, the foc'sle was the home of sail and gear and a pipe berth and wasn't expected to be a hotel bedroom. Now the master-cabin-in-the-bow requires a coachroof off of a giraffe house. Don't these people know how to crawl?

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
I find it interesting that if you only look at the side elevation there's no way of telling what size the boat is. The proportions are so well done that the boat could be 40', 50', 60' - just can't tell.
The fashion nowadays in big boats is a very clean look - no gear and bits of rigging to act as a guide to scale. Hard to tell an 80-er from a 120-er.

To some extent it's more true of drawings because things like cleats and winches may be omitted or too small

to see.

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
I'd take the Swan. It may not be perfect but it's close enough.

Just finished 4.5 hour meeting with my newest client. He likes my cooking. I'm drained but eager to start getting his ideas down. I can see the boat in my head already. Hope all the shit fits in it he wants. Wants me to break the cabin trunk at the mast. Just like the old guys did it. I can do that. Almost all of my cartoons are like that. He's a big fan of Bill Atkins. Headroom is over rated. I'll go for the TALLY HO MAJOR look with an all cf hull and deck. You have never seen a boat such as this one will be.
Looking forward to details when you can share.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
War:

It will be a couple of weeks at least until this project is ready to meet the public. I have some problem solving to do first. I'll need some help from the WLYDO in some areas so stand by.

Legs: The new boat will have pipe berths in the focsle for emergency use only.

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
War:

It will be a couple of weeks at least until this project is ready to meet the public. I have some problem solving to do first. I'll need some help from the WLYDO in some areas so stand by.

Legs: The new boat will have pipe berths in the focsle for emergency use only.
Thank you Bob. We all understand client privacy and some clients desire to stay off the radar. Sounds like this client is letting you share some going forward. Needs a new thread!

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Thanks guys.

Paps: I'm fine. Working hard and doing all the things I normally do. Looking forward to more racing on FRANCIS LEE this spring. I am enjoying my grandchildren. Never had a little girl before so that's been different. Violet is the apple of my eye.

Bryanjb

Super Anarchist
Various
Not for me, it's noisy in the bow, much prefer the back of the bus.

Just finished 4.5 hour meeting with my newest client. He likes my cooking. I'm drained but eager to start getting his ideas down. I can see the boat in my head already. Hope all the shit fits in it he wants. Wants me to break the cabin trunk at the mast. Just like the old guys did it. I can do that. Almost all of my cartoons are like that. He's a big fan of Bill Atkins. Headroom is over rated.
I like. Foredeck space looks good and works good.
Headroom is for cooking and getting yer clothes on. The rest of the time, sitting or stooping works fine.

I blame the fashion for treating the v-berth as the main sleeping cabin. In the old days, the foc'sle was the home of sail and gear and a pipe berth and wasn't expected to be a hotel bedroom. Now the master-cabin-in-the-bow requires a coachroof off of a giraffe house. Don't these people know how to crawl?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I am still tinkering with the salon layout of the PSC 63 raised salon version. Each time I think I have it just right I see an area that can be improved. So, this version is already obsolete as I have a new improvement in mind. I'll take some length off the 9' dinette to port, add it aft on the port side where the wet locker is now and make a nice nav station. Not doing anything else this morning. Might as well work. I like working.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
By Jove, I think I've got it! I've got it for now anyway. I'm trying to creat the look of "furniture" in the salon. PSC is very good at furniture detailing so no point in not taking advantage of that.

I'll let this sit and rest for a while and see if any new ideas pop up. If you have any ideas I'm all ears. I doesn't take me long to try out new things on acad,

But now I must go inflate by balls, run a few downs with my dog and get ready for the Seahawks and the Super Bowl.

olaf hart

Super Anarchist
If you drop the chart table, the charter version could have two aft cabins.

Is it possible to make the backrest on the helm seat a folder, like in a train, so it sits against the wheel when it is not being used and starboard seat becomes a three seater?

Or maybe the seat back could slide into the under deck area?

Veeger

Super Anarchist
I've often wondered exactly what the attraction is with the "Nav Station". Yes, of course, to navigate. But it also serves as an electronics and electrical panel center, an office/work space, a 'small items catch all spot', etc. In fact, for most folks, I'd posit that very little actual navigation takes place there--but it's a cool space that us boat owners tend to gravitate towards.

Personally, I prefer to stand to the nav table rather than sit at the nav station, perhaps this stems from my professional chart table experience/practice. Few of them really work well when laying out even a folded chart. Providing a true stand up nav station allows the full height from sole to work surface for actually drawer space and real chart stowage. Why lose all that space just for my knees (that aren't there most of the time)?

Nav stations get used alright but would they be used any less without the seating capability or if they were stand up only? I'm thinking that they'd actually be more useful. Is it just me?

Ishmael

Fuctifino
I've often wondered exactly what the attraction is with the "Nav Station". Yes, of course, to navigate. But it also serves as an electronics and electrical panel center, an office/work space, a 'small items catch all spot', etc. In fact, for most folks, I'd posit that very little actual navigation takes place there--but it's a cool space that us boat owners tend to gravitate towards.

Personally, I prefer to stand to the nav table rather than sit at the nav station, perhaps this stems from my professional chart table experience/practice. Few of them really work well when laying out even a folded chart. Providing a true stand up nav station allows the full height from sole to work surface for actually drawer space and real chart stowage. Why lose all that space just for my knees (that aren't there most of the time)?

Nav stations get used alright but would they be used any less without the seating capability or if they were stand up only? I'm thinking that they'd actually be more useful. Is it just me?
I use our nav station a lot, it's where the laptop lives, it's where the charts and tide tables get spread out, and it's my own little space on the boat. The nav station seat is the most used seat in my domain.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Good idea Olaf. Thanks for that. But the problem is that the two levels are far from the same. The pilot seat would be well elevated ad the short settee seat would be normal 18" above sole height. I'll ponder it for a bit.

Yes, I could have mirror image quarter berth "sleeping holes". but with no head aft I wonder if they would have the appeal.

Don't forget the rake angle to the house side and the thickness of structure, annoying little details that must be considered.

I appreciate the ideas guys. Keep them coming. I'm with Django on the importance of the chart table seat. It's just a great place to hang out and feel like a captain.

eastern motors

Anarchist
What about putting the nav station in the starboard front of the raised saloon? The locker could switch to port and push back the starboard settee.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Are you sure that removing the wet locker is a good idea?

Without it, surely the crew will have to tramp their wet clothing right through the elegantly-crafted interior? That doesn't seem to me to be a desirable situation.

I am still tinkering with the salon layout of the PSC 63 raised salon version. Each time I think I have it just right I see an area that can be improved. So, this version is already obsolete as I have a new improvement in mind. I'll take some length off the 9' dinette to port, add it aft on the port side where the wet locker is now and make a nice nav station. Not doing anything else this morning. Might as well work. I like working.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Motors:

Well, right now I have the pilot station forward on the starboard side so that's out.

Besides you are new here I think and we have a tradition so no more posts from you until you observe and show some respect to out tradition of ALWAYS posting tits first. If you have already posted tits then you must post them again because,,,,I say so. Jeez is there just no respect any more for the old ways?

Legs:

It's a raised salon boat with inside steering. How wet do you think the crew will be? There is always the hanging locker in the starboard quarter sleeping hole. ( I will no longer call them ":staterooms".)

Latest posts