CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
In the early days of the CATARI design, there was a provision on the carefully proportioned davits for a lifting system that would allow the tender to clamp on to a SS rod running athwartship between the ends of the davits. Once secured to this axle of sorts, the whole tender and clamps would simply rotate 180 degrees until the tender was upside down on top of the davits. Up away from stern seas and good visibility under the tender. I think the clients Dad had come up with the idea on the family boat and he called it the 'Toppler'. I modeled it up and did some renders and thought it a good solution, but it seems to have been abandoned in favor of a two piece (as in split down the middle) tender that will stow on deck. I'd like to see a photo of the tender. Bob?

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
it needs a dinghy garage...
And a helipad?
i just think that dealing with the dinghy is such a hassle, that if i were designing a big custom boat.., some kind of system - better than davits - would be built in

you really don't want the weight that high.., and i hate looking at the thing back there while sailing..., and then you have the question of whether to leave it there for any kind of offshore sailing.., and if it's not there, where is it?.., and the hassle of getting it there.., and taking off the outboard..,and a dinghy on a 65ft boat is going to be a big dinghy...

on a 40fter you don't have many options.., but at 65ft, you start having options
A fine example of white peoples problems. :D

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Reminds me of that old blues tune by Blind Lemon Pledge:

"I came home one day and both cars were gone.

I got so mad I threw my drink across the lawn."

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Rasper:

I think WHL has some photos of the mock up of the longitudinally split tender. I don't.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I've often wondered exactly what the attraction is with the "Nav Station". Yes, of course, to navigate. But it also serves as an electronics and electrical panel center, an office/work space, a 'small items catch all spot', etc. In fact, for most folks, I'd posit that very little actual navigation takes place there--but it's a cool space that us boat owners tend to gravitate towards.

Personally, I prefer to stand to the nav table rather than sit at the nav station, perhaps this stems from my professional chart table experience/practice. Few of them really work well when laying out even a folded chart. Providing a true stand up nav station allows the full height from sole to work surface for actually drawer space and real chart stowage. Why lose all that space just for my knees (that aren't there most of the time)?

Nav stations get used alright but would they be used any less without the seating capability or if they were stand up only? I'm thinking that they'd actually be more useful. Is it just me?

I'd want (more exactly, my wife would demand) a nav station opposite the inside helm with a similar forward-facing seat. She doesn't want to face backward and wants the same view I have, but doesn't want to steer.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Thanks a big fucking' lot VALIS for wasting 30 minutes of my morning watching Martin Mull vids!

I had not seen or heard that blues tune in 30 years. It was a lot funnier than I remember.

Thanks for posting that.

Love his L-5.

Veeger

Super Anarchist
I'd want (more exactly, my wife would demand) a nav station opposite the inside helm with a similar forward-facing seat. She doesn't want to face backward and wants the same view I have, but doesn't want to steer.
Tom, that's a whole 'nuther kettle o fish! But I would agree that a second fwd facing seat is a natural location for a chart table.

Ergonomics and the human form being what they are, it seems difficult to have a space on something under 60 or 70' that permits comfortable lounging while looking out without having to also have relatively high windows. Sitting on a sofa or chair height seat only raises your height of eye to no more than 3 or 3 1/4 ' above the cabin sole. Headroom adds another 3' and that would then need to be all window. This makes for proportionally high windows on smaller size boats. Of course, raised seating is a 'fix' but then it isn't quite as comfortable in my book. It's a 'make do' solution and one I have yet to resolve to my satisfaction.

My Mainecat did it (mostly) but still frustrated me. As nice as most deckhouses / deck salons / pilothouses are, they still fail at doing both jobs. Providing lounging visibility AND standing visibility while viewing forward is just hard to find. (I've been looking. ... and it doesn't matter whether it's power or sail)

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
You guys are good with the "I'd want or my wife would want" stuff. But what are you willing to give up to get what you want? The space and volume I have is finite. So the next time you post an "i'd want" comment please do me the favor of explaining what you can give up to get your "want". I can work with that and it may be beneficial to the project.

You are missing the secret to a good raised dinette. It simple and I have done it before. You CANNOT raise the dinette one step. You must raise the dinette two steps. This gives you adequate seated headroom, great visibility out of normally proportioned big windows and has the added benefit of putting the eye level of the seated person on the same level as a person standing in the salon. This is done wrong over and over. I have no idea why. There are few hings worse in a boat interior than a raised dinette that puts your eye level even with the lower window sill. This drives me nuts.

We are close to landing this client. Jody is hard at work on a 3D model of the boat now. The model is in its early stages and we have some fine tuning to do yet. But when it's ready to come out and play I'll post it. Jody is amazing. He got the job and a day later he has his first images. He amazes me but he does not surprise me anymore. l like to see stuff pumped out while the excitement level is high. I work very fast myself.

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
You are missing the secret to a good raised dinette. It simple and I have done it before. You CANNOT raise the dinette one step. You must raise the dinette two steps. This gives you adequate seated headroom, great visibility out of normally proportioned big windows and has the added benefit of putting the eye level of the seated person on the same level as a person standing in the salon. This is done wrong over and over. I have no idea why. There are few hings worse in a boat interior than a raised dinette that puts your eye level even with the lower window sill. This drives me nuts.
Bob, do other designers miss that point? Are they constrained by factors that you a free from? Is this a case of your clients trusting your knowledge on points like this and other designers sqeezing in an extra head and 2 more berths for the "Brochure and Sales" team?

Great White

Super Anarchist
Bremerton, WA USA
A couple of days ago I was on a boat advertised as a "Deck Salon". It had a raised cabin with larger windows. BUT the cabin sole was not raised much and the cabin had 7-1/2 feet of headroom. The only time I could see out the windows was when I was standing. Seemed strange not to raise the cabin sole and utilize the raised cabin.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Great:

I've seen the same thing on some Oysters. That does not work for me but that is usually done to recapture the volume under the side decks. Good idea bit in the big picture I don;t think ti works. You end up with hatches in the salon that a woman can't even reach and windows she can't see out.

War:

I can't speak for other designers but as arrogant as it may sound I know I have a knack for laying out interiors and juggling the priorities involved. When I begin a new design I don't have to think about the basic dimensions because I have them all committed to memory. I know what works and I know how big stuff has to be to work. You wont find me agonizing as I try to "invent the settee". I may live in a 2D world but it's a complex version of 2D. Jody calls it "the 6th dimension".

Last edited by a moderator:

Brodie

OK I'm on my computer now. We'll see how many pictures I can post on the pitiful marina wifi. Actually I took very few pictures at PSC, as they asked me not to post any online, so I decided to just enjoy looking rather than wasting time taking lots of pics. Had lots of fun poking around CATARI and the shop, and they had much valuable information about my boat which was extremely helpful. I will be rerigging the boat this spring so it will be a huge help to have them to answer questions as they come up.

My pilothouse does not have the settee raised above the cabin sole, but there are a set of lower windows below the larger windows on the cabin sides that I can see out of when sitting at the table. Of course the steering station is the prime seat if you want to see out, and I often eat breakfast there if it's too chilly to sit outside. Raising the sole would allow visibility out the big windows as Bob said, but in a 32' boat I'm not sure it would work well enough to justify. There are already a lot of steps up and down for a very small space, any more and I think it would be a safety problem as you literally can't walk more than 2 steps without meeting a stair as it is.

Interior pics were taken with a GoPro which is why they appear to be distorted - very wide angle.

IMG_1867.JPG IMG_5260.JPG IMG_5261.JPG

Hike Bitches!

Super Anarchist
Solomons, MD
Rasps, please change your avatar...I fucking hate clowns. :eek:

Any more info on the actual Catari? I need to know when this boat is coming up the Chesapeake so I can roll out the Patuxent and honk and wave at it in my 4KSB as I promised to do years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

eastern motors

Anarchist
I've often wondered exactly what the attraction is with the "Nav Station". Yes, of course, to navigate. But it also serves as an electronics and electrical panel center, an office/work space, a 'small items catch all spot', etc. In fact, for most folks, I'd posit that very little actual navigation takes place there--but it's a cool space that us boat owners tend to gravitate towards.

Personally, I prefer to stand to the nav table rather than sit at the nav station, perhaps this stems from my professional chart table experience/practice. Few of them really work well when laying out even a folded chart. Providing a true stand up nav station allows the full height from sole to work surface for actually drawer space and real chart stowage. Why lose all that space just for my knees (that aren't there most of the time)?

Nav stations get used alright but would they be used any less without the seating capability or if they were stand up only? I'm thinking that they'd actually be more useful. Is it just me?

That would be a great setup. Looks like pushing the settee back and removing the locker might cause some problems with the door though. Offset door unsafe of course.

Has anyone built a DS/PH with only a single side deck? It certainly would be functional. Not sure if the aesthetics could be made to work.

Brodie

Only info I got on CATARI is that she will be launched this spring - not sure where she is headed this summer. Please take pics if you see her floating!