CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
We discussed having it stenciled in the non skid. No, I am not kidding.

pete_nj

Thanks Pete. You are correct. But the owner's wife is not tall and having the sight lines arranged for her was a critical element when you have a deck this complex.

This rendering is now obsolete but it's damn close. It does not show the scuttle or the few new winches we added.
Just trying to keep you out of trouble....

To my eye, it really is a stunningly beautiful boat. If you had told me that you were designing a 61'er with 2 masts, 2 cockpits, cutter rigged, and a pilothouse with standing room, I would probably have thought that it would be too cluttered, and could not look good. I give the owner credit for the vision to undertake this, and to you for making it look so good while still getting all these functional details right.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Thanks Pete.

It is not "cutter rigged". It is a pure ketch with two headsails. And you are very, very right. It was a real, challenge to deal with all the clutter. I had a lot of help from Tim O'Connell (WHL) on the laying out of the deck, the rig details and the choice of all the hardware. Honestly I'm not sure I could have done it without his help. I could have but it would not have been so well thought out and people would be walking around mutterring "fucking Bob Perry".

JSoup

Anarchist
Portland, OR
Semi - You know, you're right, for a mock-up that's a hell of a wheel.

Bob - Thanks so much for sharing the photos and parts of the process with us. I'm a racer, but think this boat is stunning.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
No Maui, it gives me cracked cuticles.

Look at it like this:

I love to cook. I'm not good but I try hard. Tonight I am trying a recipe that Gatekeeper sent me. ( He says it works) Yeah, yeah, yeah, we exchange recipes. Bite me.

It's Kung Pao Chicken. I am playing a bit with the recipe. I read two other recipes just to get the feel of the dish. It's really quite easy. Just requires some prep time.

So, I just made the "sauce". I smelled it and Pow! I can't believe I made something that smells this good. I am amazing. Doesn't matter that 2 billion people have cooked this before.

It's like that with boats. You follow the recipes. You mix and match, a bit from here, a bit from there and add your own touches, some spice, lots of wine and you reek ah! You appear to be amazing. "I cant believe I did that."

Semi:

Everything that PSC does is "nicely made". They are great people. They are the kind of people you send your kids off to stay with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wash

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, CA
What a project! Just exquisite--- Love the midships cockpit, unless you are above it it is invisible. Looking forward to seeing photos of Catari under sail,

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
Tongue in cheek (half) where is the stripper pole? Does the companions ladder get a vertical hand hold for coming down or going up? Pinned and hinged so it swings out of the way for engine access? Is a folding wheel planned.

Snore

Super Anarchist
DTSP and on OPB
Watching this boat come together makes me realize there are some friggin smart people on this forum.

Absolutely beautiful Bob. It is getting cold, she should winter down this way.

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
Bob, I see six or seven steps down. The angle of the photo does not show the height of the handrail well. A vertical (stripper) pole might be a good hand hold in the galley area there. Or not!

floating dutchman

Super Anarchist
Rols:

That depends on who you ask.

I say January.

In that photo we are discussing the placement of the electric winch buttons and all the shite that has to fit into the binnacle. I am not a fan of binnacles like this but these days people want everything right there in front of them.

I'll post more photos when I write my blog entry this weekend.

Windward: I'm wearing Wranglers and I'm the only guy without a blue shirt. The braces were my only style statement.
Bob, A few years back I fitted a remote system for winches, Kind of looked like a TV remote but had "furl - unfurl" etc.

Don't know if Paul will like the idea or not, just putting the idea out.

Hey. I found a photo!

remote.jpg

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
No one looks very happy in those pictures. If someone was building me that boat, or if I'd built that boat, or if I'd designed that boat I like to think I'd be looking a lot happier than that. Perhaps Bob was being a PITA and putting a bit of a downer on things.

kdh

Super Anarchist
I like the autopilot control and a switch for my windlass at the binnacle.

I have a remote for the cabintop winch like that so I have more flexibility to see how the roll into the boom is going. I rarely use it.

Bob, please consider the stainless steel winch switches rather than the black plastic ones. You can see one in this picture near the winch at the height transition of the cockpit coaming.

IMG_1281_zpsc3c42753.jpg