CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
A word on the plan view:

Notice how the deck line appears to almost flare out as it approaches the transom?

This is a bit complex but that is because the line I show represents the extremity of the hull and that means the tumblehome is not shown.

Does that make sense?

us7070

Super Anarchist
i like the look of the mahogany (i guess) counter top in the galley, but i'm thinking it might not be very practical - not that it matters much i guess

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
70:

I let my clients chose decor items like counter tops. If they left it to me it would be red formica. You are correct. It is mahogany.

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
No nap station should ever be taken out of service...naps are very much a part of my happiest sailing experiences.

When I finally strike it rich and order my tailored version of this beautiful boat, she gets lots of napping modifications!
You are right, Napping is very much a part of the cruising experience. My dad and I have it down to a fine art, my father in law does not understand it. To him naps are a sign of weakness. To me they one of the great pleasures when I am on the boat.

Windward

Super Anarchist
70:

I let my clients chose decor items like counter tops. If they left it to me it would be red formica. You are correct. It is mahogany.
Bob, Bob, Bob... All the cool kids know that avacado formica is coming back.

kdh

Super Anarchist
I think the mahogany is a fine choice for the counters, especially with the rest of the galley painted. I think the worst thing we can do is use a patterned Corian or other material that draws attention. To me a countertop shouldn't draw your eye.

As far as practicality, like Corian mahogany can be refinished if need be, and as a hardwood, especially with an oil finish, it's as practical as anything, in my view.

QBF

Super Anarchist
70:

Like these?

Red Formica.1.png

Red Formica Countertop.2.png

kdh

Super Anarchist
We used a panel with slot vents like that under the sink in a kitchen we remodeled. Practical and cool looking, to my eye.

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
ND, Bob and Kim - y'all have given us a lot of insight into something that many of us wouldn't have otherwise been able to enjoy. My boatbuilding experience included bandsaws, lead paint, and damn few drawings. Thanks for letting the peanut gallery vicariously enjoy what y'all have done.

Bob,you need a settee to nap on,chairs are too uncomfortable? HTFU !

Red Formica-They got a whole range of more interesting colours and textures now.

It seems you have a choice of Puritan White with Hardwood Trim or Hardwood White with a Puritan Trim.It's a custom boat and it's not going to make a profit for the first owner when he (or his estate) sells it so why not make an interior with a bit of imagination.If you can come up with an arty name for the boat then surely you could come up with an interior that would at least show a modicum of taste and individuality,something different from what Nathaniel did a 100+ yrs ago!

Anybody who thinks dark is a good hull colour has never been anywhere warm or doesn't give a fuck about the rest of the anchorage so long as the generator and A/C can work 24/7

Rob

kdh

Super Anarchist
must be cocktail hour in "s/pore." no wonder ND doesn't hang around here any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I find really dark blue and black show off a boats lines the best. Not sure I'd want to own anything but a white boat but I'm a lazy SOB. I really like this black hull on CATARI.

prime8

SF Bay
Sorry if I missed this, but I'm wondering about the forward cockpit. I don't think I've seen a boat with dual cockpits like that before. Is it just a nice place to sit that you might as well include on a boat this long with this rig? Or is there a deeper reason?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Well, ND and I went round and round about aft cockpit vs center cockpit and in what I assume was a near drunken stupor I suggest we could have both. The cc is intended as a lounging area and a place for a cockpit table for dining with Al Fresco. It will be a great napping area. We have laid out the sailing handling functions very, very carefully to take advantage of the two cockpits. I have to say that having two companionways on a boat this size has serious advantages. People can come and go without having to go through the owner's cabin aft. Lots and lots of thought went into this configuration and how best to make it functional and versatile.

Last edited by a moderator:

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Sorry if I missed this, but I'm wondering about the forward cockpit. I don't think I've seen a boat with dual cockpits like that before. Is it just a nice place to sit that you might as well include on a boat this long with this rig? Or is there a deeper reason?
Swans and Baltics have had the dual cockpits for years.