CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Yes, CATARI has a bow thruster beautifully faired in and you can just barely see it immediately forward of the forward support pad.

To complain about how the features of someone else's custom yacht don't work for you is a bit like you trying on my shoes and complaining about the fit.

Don't make me have to quote Dr,. Frankenfurter again.

kdh brings up and important aspect of this project. ND has enjoyed the creative process involved here and his appreciation of features and systems has evolved several times over in many cases. There is a lot to learn about a boat like this and as it comes together and more experts/vendors get involved it is inevitable that the client's ideas will also evolve. WHL and I spent yesterday morning updating the changes to the deck plan. We are now on Revision "O" and that does not include ANY of the preliminary design drawings.

Since the project was started ND has bought a house in the BVI's and the boat will live there most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryanjb

Super Anarchist
Various
I like it, especially the light interior with the varnished accents, it will be very livable and the abundance of hatches will allow wonderful air flow. If the dark hull proves to hot in the tropics white paint is always an option?

Regarding practicality, what no working yacht is practical. Yachts are simply for our pleasure, daysailing, voyaging, or even tied to the dock, they're pleasure boats.....

We enjoy the center cockpit, it allows us to spread out guests and in crappy weather we'll camp there and drive the boat withthe remote. ND may find he uses the center cockpit more then he anticipated when sailing. Is there an AP remote located there?

Anyway, beautiful boat, well done all!

assy2_zps4fd916d0.jpg

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Yes, CATARI has a bow thruster beautifully faired in and you can just barely see it immediately forward of the forward support pad.

To complain about how the features of someone else's custom yacht don't work for you is a bit like you trying on my shoes and complaining about the fit.

Don't make me have to quote Dr,. Frankenfurter again.

kdh brings up and important aspect of this project. ND has enjoyed the creative process involved here and his appreciation of features and systems has evolved several times over in many cases. There is a lot to learn about a boat like this and as it comes together and more experts/vendors get involved it is inevitable that the client's ideas will also evolve. WHL and I spent yesterday morning updating the changes to the deck plan. We are now on Revision "O" and that does not include ANY of the preliminary design drawings.

Since the project was started ND has bought a house in the BVI's and the boat will live there most of the time.
+1000 Bob. I can't for the life of me understand why folks feel compelled to question, criticize or otherwise comment negatively on someone else's idea of what their dream boat is and yet it happens all the time. Dreams are very subjective, very personal and therefore exempt from criticism.*

*This particularly applies to extremely well executed dreams, aberrations such as the Anacortes Tippy Tug tm are granted an exemption to the rule for reasons of aesthetics and poor engineering/design.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Soaker:

I think many of us come here to CA to comment on all the boats posted. I know I do. It's natural to filter your perceptions through your own experiences and preferences. I have no problem with that. But I do get a bit fusterated when a poster looks at my size 15 boat shoes and says, "They are just too big for me. I don't need shoes that big." Well, guess what poster, they fit me just fine and that's why I bought them.

Custom boats by nature are not "one size fits all" boats so there are bound to be a lot of people who don't fit. Maybe, hopefully, one will say to me, "Draw me a boat that fits me.". I have long believed that no one wants another guys custom design. I have never had a new client come along and say, "Give me a boat just like Joe's,"

Dave will be here this morning. We are working on a custom 43'er. He calls it a "weekender". He will post it here soon and you guys will go nuts. He is prepared for that. Dave has his own ideas on what the perfect boat is. My job is to give it to him.

But I enjoy, most of the time, all the comments so please keep them coming. We all like to discuss boats and custom boats are great subject matter. When I do my SAILING Reviews these days I often get three boats that are so similar in style and concept that I have to scratch my head for something interesting to say. I could save myself a lot of time but just saying, "This boat is just like the other two," I've been tempted.

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
It's sometimes interesting to see what other people think they need. Opens your eyes to things that you've never considered.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
"It's sometimes interesting to see what other people think they need. Opens your eyes to things that you've never considered."

Exactly!

savoir

Super Anarchist
The two sections of galley counter that face athwartships could use a fiddle. You don't want to be scraping lunch off the floor.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Hey Bob, I wear size fifteen shoes too! If you have a good internet source for shoes in that size, with more than one or two styles to choose from please share it with me. The usual response I get when I walk in to a shoe store in Europe or the US and I ask if they have anything in my size is "Sorry, no", after they stop laughing.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Soaker:

I buy almost all my shoes at Nordstroms. They stock a good many styles in the lager sizes. I started shopping there for shoes when I hit size 13. It used to piss my Dad off, "I've never paid that much for shoes in my life!" That was back in the day when they would bring out the one pair of shoes they had that would fit me. 13's are common now.

I have worn Sebago boat shoes forever.

My foul weather boots are Gill.

My winter time Romeos are, get this, "Georgia Giants!

I can't stand tight shoes.

I have some dress loafers but I wear them about twice a year.

I get my socks from Filson.

Sav:

Come on. The entire galley gets fiddles everywhere. They are just not on yet. Sheesh! We are using a s.s. bar type fiddle that contrasts very nicely with the mahogany.

Note that the cc companionway ladder is in two sections and the upper section removes to open up even more working counter space. There will not be a fiddle in the middle portion of that counter area. Might trip someone. Like me.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Soaker:

I buy almost all my shoes at Nordstroms. They stock a good many styles in the lager sizes. I started shopping there for shoes when I hit size 13.

I have worn Sebago boat shoes forever.

My foul weather boots are Gill.

My winter time Romeos are, get this, "Geogia Giants!

I have some dress loafers but I wear them about twice a year.

I get my socks from Filson.
Thanks for the info, I'll check the Nordstroms web site. Yeah, big socks are a problem too. Last time I was in the US, I was at one of these two for one bargain shoe outlets because my daughter loves to shoe shop. I was waiting when she came to me with a pair of canvas Sperry Topsiders in size 15. I looked and they had another pair so I scored 2 pairs for 50 dollars. That was the last place I expected to find shoes in my size. Yeah, big socks are hard to find too.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
you guys could stick opti masts in those things and start a junior sailing program!
Hmmm, nobody ever made any jokes about the size of my shoes and boats before, why didn't I think of that! I'll bet Bob never heard anything like that either...

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
+1 on Nordstrom for shoes. That's what they started out as, a shoe store, and they still take it seriously. I wear size 9 4E and they usually have a good selection with that width. I can't for the life of me find a decent 9 4E boat shoe though.

One thing about designing custom boats is that it pushes you to be more innovative when coming up with solutions to the customer's requirements. By the way I think the shoe analogy is a great one Bob.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
+1 on Nordstrom for shoes. That's what they started out as, a shoe store, and they still take it seriously. I wear size 9 4E and they usually have a good selection with that width. I can't for the life of me find a decent 9 4E boat shoe though.

One thing about designing custom boats is that it pushes you to be more innovative when coming up with solutions to the customer's requirements. By the way I think the shoe analogy is a great one Bob.
Thanks, I feel better now, at least my feet are just long but proportioned. A 9 4E, doesn't that make your foot nearly as wide as it is long? I also have very long arms, long legs and very large hands, so buying any kind of apparel is not easy for me. You know what they say about big hands....

Thread drift? What thread drift, I don't see no thread drift.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Joe wears Cape Cod catboat shoes.

Big gloves?