CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

Ned

Super Anarchist
Wahiawa, Oahu
Jose, for dress shoes try Clark's. Same guys that make Wallabees. I have the 4E Luau feet as well. For everything else New Balance is the choice except that they aren't 100% made in America any more and they fall apart. But at least they fit until they fall apart.

For moccasin boat shoes, just go sail and get them wet. They'll fit.

Soak_ed, the outlet stores get the leftovers. So not unusual to see the larger sizes.

Bob, beautiful boat. So back on topic.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
You'all got small feet. REAL luau feet like mine are 10 1/2 x 6E wide, high instep, square toe line. Only beaten by original South Sea Islanders who's toes have migrated about. I WISH I could have a 'favorite' boot, cause right now I've got none. If/when it becomes a major issue I'll have to go custom.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
+1 on Nordstrom for shoes. That's what they started out as, a shoe store, and they still take it seriously. I wear size 9 4E and they usually have a good selection with that width. I can't for the life of me find a decent 9 4E boat shoe though.

One thing about designing custom boats is that it pushes you to be more innovative when coming up with solutions to the customer's requirements. By the way I think the shoe analogy is a great one Bob.
Thanks, I feel better now, at least my feet are just long but proportioned. A 9 4E, doesn't that make your foot nearly as wide as it is long? I also have very long arms, long legs and very large hands, so buying any kind of apparel is not easy for me. You know what they say about big hands....

Thread drift? What thread drift, I don't see no thread drift.
I think they call that a monkey. :p

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
The fact is that ankle dimensions and foot length dimensions don't jibe. Regardless of the shoe size, the ankle dimension remains fairly constant. The result is that the proportions of a shoe for a guy wearing a size 10 are far more aesthetically pleasing than the relevant dimensions for a guy wearing a size 14. There is kind of a back to front dis proportionality. My long shows look too long in front of the ankle. They look like flippers. A nice short foot can have the forward portion of the shoe be almost balanced with the back portion of the shoe creating a balanced look. I'll bet you a lamb chop dinner that shoe models wear a size 10. The shoe just looks better. I'm considering pedimetic surgery. But I have to thank my big flipper feet for my high school and college swimming times. I was quite the breast stroker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Larsen

Denmark
I saw a little irregularity in the paint fwd of that pad. That's a thruster? Cool!
The easy way to tell is to click on the drawings I have put on Bob's website, most of them have enlarged views attached to them. In the case of the Catari Inboard Profile & Layout it is 1822 x 933 pixels, and you can not only see the thruster, but read the caption. I try to scale the images so the detail is easy to see, that means the larger hulls will have much larger versions attached. Make sure to view them full size.

You can see the Catari section here. It also has a tweaked version of the photo you are referring to.

Here is the plan:

catarilayoutlarge.png

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I saw a little irregularity in the paint fwd of that pad. That's a thruster? Cool!
The easy way to tell is to click on the drawings I have put on Bob's website, most of them have enlarged views attached to them. In the case of the Catari Inboard Profile & Layout it is 1822 x 933 pixels, and you can not only see the thruster, but read the caption. I try to scale the images so the detail is easy to see, that means the larger hulls will have much larger versions attached. Make sure to view them full size.

You can see the Catari section here. It also has a tweaked version of the photo you are referring to.

Here is the plan:

catarilayoutlarge.png
I actually visited the site and clicked on that larger picture before without seeing the thruster. Looked again just now. It still looks like an irregularity in the paint to me. That's cool! Does it have a cowling that closes over the hole or something?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Tom:

That layout you posted is very obsolete in many ways. . Here is the current layout.

This layout does not show the Streisand chairs in the salon. I did not draw them. They were mocked up by the yard. They are not a favorite feature of mine.

Dan33

Super Anarchist
Just curious....with a boat that has this many systems is the owner given training in how to maintain and troubleshoot, or just a set of manuals?

I once met an owner of a VERY upscale bus chassis motorhome and he told me when he took delivery at the factory, he also had to take a week long course on driving, systems maintenance and basic repairs. I always thought that was a smart move by the builder.

kdh

Super Anarchist
Bob, are the princess chairs the arrangement that's two chairs with a table between them? The owners of the boat before mine chose that instead of my transom berth. The table had a chessboard pattern on it.

It's not a salty look, but I guess the trade-off is between another usable berth and having more space to put down your drink.

The chairs do limit how one sits as well. Often people sit with their back in a corner and legs up on the berth.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
By the time this boat is launched, maybe Rimas will have rounded the Horn in his San Juan 23. I'm sure he could easily fill the role of skipper and all the maintenance issues would be moot.

Actually, I believe Bob's friend and contributor on the project, WHL will have put together a comprehensive 'owners handbook' of sorts. He has devoted a lot of time to the rigging and deck layout and everything has been carefully considered many times over on deck and below. I have a very complete 3d model of the boat that was used in the whole process that with a bit of updating might be a candidate for a 'virtual owners manual'. I've wanted to do this for some time but it would involve using 'hyperlinks' which can be attached to each item of hardware or equipment in the 3d model, that when clicked or queried will take you to a webpage of that items catalog page showing the part number, capacity, specs or any data you choose. Imagine knowing that a bilge pump buried deep (and I mean really deep on Catari!) in a bilge doesn't seem to be functioning so you pull up the VM (Virtual Manual) and click on that pump proxy object and you get the full parts list and exploded straight from Rules website. Even without internet connection, the webpages can be cached so one can always have the functionality.

I worked for nearly two years doing outfitting and detailing modeling on a 197' Trinity yacht for the owners desire to visualize exactly what he was spending such big bucks on. His rep had gone to make the monthly inspection of the work progress and found some serious goofs and the NA firm I worked for were asked to put together a rendering from the construction 3d model that the yard had and clearly illustrate to the owner how things really were. The builder was not really too happy about the situation and grudgingly handed over the somewhat incomplete hull and superstructure file and I went to work adding all the little details and did hundreds if not thousands of renderings on the behalf of the owner. He kept making major changes along the way but the 3d model and the renders made sure he really liked something before they took the cutting torches to it. I had hoped that with the huge investment of time and effort on that project that I would get the chance to do the VM idea, but things got so at odds between the yard and the owner that it never happened.

PSC might be the sort of 'service after the sale' type of builder that would take interest and the model is very close to the 'as built' (Striesand chairs excepted), but it will really be up to Mr Lucky.

Dan33

Super Anarchist
I have no doubt the owner will go to school on the fun stuff...rigging, sail handling gear, galley equipment...I'm think more along the lines of "what do I do...the head backed up"?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
kdh:

No, I call those chairs in the salon "Streisand chairs". I tell that story on the thread over on SA. I do not like them at all. They are not versatile.

What we are calling the "princes seats" are the small seats in the corner of the stern pulpit. I think maybe Hunter came up wit them first. They are nice seats with a great view forward.

But ND does not like the idea of sitting in a "princess seat". So as I mentioned, one seat will be a princess seat and the other will be a "big bad mother fucker seat".

Gate:

ND is very intelligent and devoted to understanding each and every system on board. The systems guy at PSC, Gary, is a genius and ND is taking full advantage of this guy to educate him on how all systems work. I have sat in on their sessions and in moments they are well over my head. I have sat down with Gary by myself and had him walk me through the systems. He's very patient and a good teacher. ND has shown this same level of interest in everything aboard the boat. He is very involved with every decision. You begin to understand why he was so successful in business.

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
Some high end car manufacturers are no longer supplying manuals to owners, an I pad is provided instead. This might be a good project for this boat, almost all electronic equipment has online pdf files, the design was all based on computer files, the renderings are beautiful, you could even put in a few of Bob's better forum responses for entertainment. Plumbing and wiring diagrams could be included or scanned in.

I recently was given a loaner car when mine was in for service, the dealers have figured out giving you a much nicer car than yours is good for future sales. The one I drove had most of the documention built into the nav screen system, including video tutorials for the more complex systems. Doing this with a chart plotter seems reasonable

kdh

Super Anarchist
Sorry, Bob. I meant to say "Streisand chairs." I read your story on SA.

The seats I described above were not armchairs, so what ND chose is not what I described. Along with big shoes I have no use for armchairs on a boat.

barbra+streisand-in-scene-from-I-can-get-it-for-you-wholesale.jpg