Cathlamet vs the Fauntleroy Dock

Oops.

FYxLnj8UEAAdOFf.jpg
FYxLnj9VEAQ9KOv.jpg
FYxLnkAUUAACcHY.jpg
FYxLnj-VUAEkyrG.jpg

Tacoma Mud Flats

Have star, will steer by
Just like old times! Nice of the Washington State Ferries to close out the PNW news week with a bang.

I feel a new song/drink coming on - a Cathamet Dolphin Kiss?

The original "Elwha On the Rocks" song link below:

from sanjuanupdate.com

What happened to your mp3 of Elwha On The Rocks? That’s one of my favorite songs of all time and I can’t find it anywhere else, and now it’s no longer available thru your site.
Well, thanks, Keith! I like it, too — it was posted back in 2007, and the song itself is here (click this link to hear the song.) Here’s the writeup that went with it, in case you missed it (from the Update at that time):
Meanwhile, I found this little mention about the Elwa’s occasionally sullied rep (although when she whacked into the Orcas dock & caused a six-week suspension of service & three-quarters of a million dollars in damage — well, sometimes you deserve what they say about ya). Anyway, on a site called evergreenfleet.com here’s a bit about the boat .…
Unfortunately it was in the Islands that the Elwha would began to develop an unsavory reputation. Perhaps the most famous incident for the vessel happened in 1983 when her captain “discovered” an uncharted rock in Grindstone Harbor while showing a female passenger what her home looked like from the water. The event, while hardly comic as it resulted in a tear in the Elwha’s hull did have some soap opera-like qualities to it.
Soon thereafter the woman in question began being referred to as “the Siren of the San Juans” and local bars began selling a drink called “Elwha on the Rocks.” A local band in Friday Harbor cut a 45 with a song of the same title. (original "Elwha on the Rocks" song link above).

slochner

That boat already had the nick name:“Crashramit”
The Issaquah class had problems early on with clutches engaging on their own and boats getting underway while warming up engines- with no one in the wheelhouse.
The weather WAS unusual for the Sound: warm, dry, calm and clear.

Locus

locus
Seattle, WA
News this morning said they accelerated to 12k as they approached and turned right, hitting the starboard dolphin on the outside. From the video they came close to aground next to the dock gets shallow in there. Hard reverse after the hit

Damn the dolphins, full speed ahead!

Foxy13:

West Seattle, wash. - Map-tracking systems are shedding more light on the path the Cathlamet Ferry took before crashing into a group of pilings as it approached the Fauntleroy ferry dock on Thursday.
One system shows that the ferry was moving well south of the boat's typical routes when it experienced what Washington State Ferries described as a "hard landing."
A WSF spokesperson confirmed Friday that the ferry was "off course" and going "too fast" when it collided with the section of posts often called a "dolphin."
A ship-tracking map showed the Cathlamet Ferry come in from the south, accelerating from around 4 knots to around 12 knots around the time it likely hit the dolphin posts. Then, the map showed it making a turn towards the shore before reversing course and heading into the dock.

Talchotali

Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
“Being in command means making tough decisions. Not being in command means shutting up and doing what you're told.
--Artemis Fowl”

Courtesy the Kitsap Sun/Nate Pilling - Updated 2 August:​
The captain of the ferry Cathlamet during a collision that caused significant damage to the vessel last week has resigned from Washington State Ferries, according to an email that went out to agency staff on Monday.​
WSF agency head Patty Rubstello also told staff in her message that drug and alcohol tests of the vessel’s crew came back clear, noting that an investigation into the incident on Thursday was ongoing and would take "some time." The captain of the vessel was not identified in the message.​
“Safety continues to be our number one priority for both employees and customers and I’m thankful that in the history of WSF there has never been a fatality due to a collision,” she wrote. “We’ll continue to work closely with our federal partners to determine exactly what happened and to prevent it from occurring again.”​
A damaged Cathlamet ferry sits at the Fauntleroy dock in West Seattle on Thursday morning.​
What led up to the crash remains unclear. Washington State Ferries, the Coast Guard and the National Transportation Safety Board are all investigating the incident.​
It’s estimated that repairs to the Cathlamet after its collision near the Fauntleroy dock will cost “well into the millions of dollars” and take months to complete, WSF spokesperson Ian Sterling said Monday.​

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Hmmm. If it was BC Ferries I would suggest the captain was bonking the first mate on the bridge, and the copulation lasted a bit longer than expected, culminating in the first mate uncontrollably orgasming and grasping the throttle at the wrong moment.

Or a cotter pin fell out of the throttle.

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
Hmmm. If it was BC Ferries I would suggest the captain was bonking the first mate on the bridge, and the copulation lasted a bit longer than expected, culminating in the first mate uncontrollably orgasming and grasping the throttle at the wrong moment.

Or a cotter pin fell out of the throttle.
Another new SA euphemism
With the amount of kinetic energy at play the bollards look pretty good, just one bent over after taking a shot in the beans.
Another new SA euphemism