Cats between 30 -35 feet

Speng

Super Anarchist
Cincinnati, OH
Who's making small cruising cats? If you had some cash burning a hole in your pocket and wanted something to do some coastal cruising what boats could you buy?

mathystuff

Anarchist
edel 33.

i wonder why small cats are so rare ?
The cat concept doesn't work at small sizes for most people, when hulls are so narrow you'd basically have to sleep in a coffin and the bridgedeck would either slam, have very low headroom or be ugly af.

There are also stability concerns.

So cats have mostly split into beach cats and giant condos. While there is usable design space between, it hardly gets used. Cats in it would run the risk of carrying both stigmas. Being unsafe like beach cats and bad sailing vessels like (early) condomarans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomfl

Not just cats but boats in general have been getting bigger.  I am not buying that the only cats are beach cats and giant condos.  I have a Seawind 1000 with the one meter sugar scoop add on.  There is also the Seawind 1000xl.  Maine Cats are similar in size and design.  There are also PDQ cats that are in that range.  I have also seen some composite Wharram cats in that length range being built in yards using fiberglass.

As for the condomarans there is (or was till COVID-19) a huge demand for them in the charter market.  And truth be told lots of condomarans are basically used like daysailers or weekenders that only leave the dock for a short time.  Not to mention a condomaran is a great dock queen.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Yeah baby!  I loved mine, just couldn't afford to outfit it for full time live aboard as I'd hoped to do.

http://www.shuttleworthdesign.com/gallery.php?boat=twohoots

hanalei_20121008.jpg

looking_aft_at_dinette_in_stbd_hull.jpg

looking_fwd_from_dinette_in_stbd_hull.jpg

port_hull_looking_fwd_from_aft_bunk_nav_station_on_right.jpg

35ft_Cat_Two_hoots_drawing.jpg

The cat concept doesn't work at small sizes for most people, when hulls are so narrow you'd basically have to sleep in a coffin and the bridgedeck would either slam, have very low headroom or be ugly af.

There are also stability concerns.

So cats have mostly split into beach cats and giant condos. While there is usable design space between, it hardly gets used. Cats in it would run the risk of carrying both stigmas. Being unsafe like beach cats and bad sailing vessels like (early) condomarans.
And ( trailerable) trimarans fill up that gap quite well

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
How was the hobby-horsing on that boat? I've seen a video of one dancing around quite a bit and wondered if it was just a coincidence or a regular occurrence 
I don't recall that being a big deal at all.  The worst thing in this video is the old mast "pumping".  This is the Na Pali coast, north shore of Kauai.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomfl

Before I got my Seawind I spent lots of time looking at boats.  One of the biggest problems I had was actually finding a boat I could look at with a reasonable travel expense.  The first boat I looked at was a Corsair 24 Mk1.  The owner was a very likable guy who was a three hour drive away and basically said he liked to take the boat out every chance he got and offered me a ride.  I was impressed with the boat; especially when I was driving the boat with older sails and easily passing a Beneteau 52 much to the annoyance of the skipper of the B52.  Problem it was not really what I called a cruising boat; so I looked at a Corsair 31.  The trailer was a mess and it looked like the hatch on the companion way had a crack from the mast being dropped; and it had not seen the water for a while; but again it did not seem like something I could cruise on.  Still I was considering an fboat.  But saw a Telstar close by and looked at it.  It was definitely more of a cruiser than the 31 in terms of space but I read a lot about them and there seemed to be issues with it going into blue water.  Steve Marsh saw one of my posts at a different site and offered a ride on a 31 as well as inspecting a 27 and 28.  On that trip Steve also showed me a Seawind 1000xl.  The 31 was impressive but it was obvious the Seawind was at a different level in terms of a Cruiser.  Also saw a PDQ on the same trip that was on a ball.  While the PDQ was more of a cruiser than an fboat, or even the Telstar, it was in need of a lot of interior work.  There was lots of bare plywood in the salon.

The Seawind Steve showed me had an asking price above my hoped for price point but what worried me most was when the port companion way hatch was opened I gagged from the odor from the head.  Then I saw another Seawind advertised at close to my price point.  I drove down to look at it.  The owner lived on it and it had a composting head that was odorless.  It was in great shape and one of the lessons I learned is that a live aboard could mean most of the stuff on the boat worked.  To make a long story short I bought it in 2012 and have been cruising on it ever since, till COVID-19 destroyed most cruising.

In the time since I bought it I have been on multiple cruising boats.  One of my friends has a Shuttleworth that I am impressed with; something I should have added to the list I previously posted.  One of the issues with the Shuttleworth was no good davits solution; something I consider necessary for a cruiser.

While I am a huge fboat fan I am not convinced even a 36/37 is capable of cruising.  I was on an f39 and it did seem to have the space and load capacity to cruise.  But this goes back to the problem of find a boat for sale you do not have to travel excessive distances to look at.  In any case I do think there are lots of cats capable of cruising in the 30-35 foot range.