Chance 44` ketch

soerencarlsen

Denmark
Hi all

"kohina" a Chance 44` ketch centerboard and all, is for sale in Denmark,  Is there anyone who knows any history about this yacht at all ?

Would be very interesting to know something maybe just a little.

Thanks

Soren Carlsen

[email protected]

soerencarlsen

Denmark
KOHINA.jpg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I wondered if it was that boat - I remember it from a Sail Mag article on the new SORC designs back in the early 70's. Stuck in my mind because it was so different from the "normal" IOR designs of the time. I don't think it did much at SORC but I imagine it is pretty fast - being so skinny and with the board. If that's a recent pic it looks like it's been well loved.

OffShore Sam

A boat by this design and size won a Chicago Mac back in the 70s. Maybe this is a sistership, or maybe the same boat. 

I did some rigging on it in the early 90s and it was in total disrepair.  I am not sure I've ever seen that many spiders in my life...

But the boat did have legs in certain conditions. 

fingerbang

tartarus
Sam, I think you are refering to "cumulus", currently for sale in the Joilet,  for 12 g's, http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=349230297

Advertisements
$12,000 1972 Britton Chance Masthead Ketch., CUMULUS, 44', 12'6" beam, Center Cockpit, Perkins 4-108 rebuilt 50 hours ago, new cockpit cushions, new master cabin cushions, new main cabin cushions, very fast boat, raced Mac 10 times, Sailed from Monroe Harbor, Chicago for past 18 years. 4 bilge pumps, am/fm/cd player, marine radio, depth sounder, GPS, wind instruments, Sleeps 6 confortably, 10 if pushed. Stainless steel rod stays on main and mizzen. Two heads (forward head needs new suction tube) Pressure water to master cabin head and main galley, new Mark 1V Jib Furler, roller furling on main and mizzen booms, 11 bags of sails including 4 spinnikers, main, mizzen, 170% drifter, 4 staysails, 3 jibs (165% #1 needs repair) storm trysail. Currently strored at East Chicago Marina. 2016 Launching fees paid. Minor damage to fiberglass topside, 4" down from toe rail on starboard side. 

JoeO

Super Anarchist
Chicago
If you search the forums under Larry's "Some of my old photos..." thread and look for Cumulus, I think you'll find a picture and some additional info/stories on her...

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
A boat by this design and size won a Chicago Mac back in the 70s. Maybe this is a sistership, or maybe the same boat. 

I did some rigging on it in the early 90s and it was in total disrepair.  I am not sure I've ever seen that many spiders in my life...

But the boat did have legs in certain conditions. 
Knowing you, it was frigging in the rigging!

Chance44

NYC
It has. I bought Cumulus from Wayne.

I paid relatively small amount though fully aware of necessary repairs and upgrades, all of which have been accomplished.

Curious to hear on prev rigging work though - Was that when the rod rigging was orig installed?

soerencarlsen

Denmark
Hello again

Now Back to "Kohina", just found out that the same boat spend some years under the name "grace" and with a Green hull, does this ring a bell?

Soren

Last edited by a moderator:

vardivela

ISRAEL
Hello everyone
My name is Erez Vardi and I am the owner of the Gizel (Gammel) yacht.
The yacht has a wonderful story.
Was the first Israeli yacht to sail from the United States to Israel in 1976.
Since then several owners have moved.
Competed in quite a few competitions and won many of them.
In 2011 I purchased the yacht in favor of my sailing school.
With the yacht we compete, teach and sail a lot.
Today we are embarking on a process of renovating and organizing the yacht in favor of special activities.
Competitions in Greece and European Championships.
The ship is very stable, fast, and gives a sense of safety and safety in sea voyages in different and even extreme sea conditions.
Pictures can be found on our school website www.vardi-vela.com
Erez Vardi

20543777_1700185133328044_3007921790092594638_o.jpg

soerencarlsen

Denmark
Hi all

"kohina" a Chance 44` ketch centerboard and all, is for sale in Denmark, Is there anyone who knows any history about this yacht at all ?

Would be very interesting to know something maybe just a little.

Thanks

Soren Carlsen

[email protected]
My Britton Chance 44 "kohina" has unforetunenatly lost it's centerboard , been trying to find it without luck , is it so that someone has info as to the possiblety to locate another unit possible with the Hydraulic cylinder as well.
Thank you
Soren

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
$12,000 1972 Britton Chance Masthead Ketch., CUMULUS, 44', 12'6" beam, Center Cockpit, Perkins 4-108 rebuilt 50 hours ago, new cockpit cushions, new master cabin cushions, new main cabin cushions, very fast boat, raced Mac 10 times, Sailed from Monroe Harbor, Chicago for past 18 years. 4 bilge pumps, am/fm/cd player, marine radio, depth sounder, GPS, wind instruments, Sleeps 6 confortably, 10 if pushed. Stainless steel rod stays on main and mizzen. Two heads (forward head needs new suction tube) Pressure water to master cabin head and main galley, new Mark 1V Jib Furler, roller furling on main and mizzen booms, 11 bags of sails including 4 spinnikers, main, mizzen, 170% drifter, 4 staysails, 3 jibs (165% #1 needs repair) storm trysail. Currently strored at East Chicago Marina. 2016 Launching fees paid. Minor damage to fiberglass topside, 4" down from toe rail on starboard side.

Yep. This yacht has been left to rot until the owner became senile enough that his family was able to put it on the market.

This pig has had just enough lipstick smeared across its snout to hopefully appeal to potential owners who prize the number of bedrooms and bathrooms over everything else.

willyb

My Britton Chance 44 "kohina" has unforetunenatly lost it's centerboard , been trying to find it without luck , is it so that someone has info as to the possiblety to locate another unit possible with the Hydraulic cylinder as well.
Thank you
Soren

Thank you
Soren
Soren,

I just saw your post and had to register to reply to your post. I owned a sistership Chance 44 named “Pleiades” around 1990. One of the 4 built. It had been neglected by a neighbor in Maryland, so I bought it cheap and started fixing it up.

I kept it docked at the neighbor’s pier in about 7’ of water and due to leak in the hydraulic cylinder, the swing keel was constantly bouncing on the ground whenever a powerboat wake would hit the stern. I bought some high tensile chain and winched the keel up using a rope slung between the two primary winches. Once in the swing keel well, I was able to attach the chains and secured them to a heavy steel plate across the top of the well.

Unfortunately, at some point, some huge waves must have hit the boat and the stress was so great that the massive steel plate cracked and the keel deployed with enough force to shear the pivot pin and disappear. I hired a couple different dive teams to try to located it, even using ground penetrating radar. Again, it was only 7’ deep at HIGH tide and about 5’ at low tide. The keel disappeared from the face of the earth.

I too did some initial replacement investigation but got distracted by the birth of my first daughter. The boat had complete plans, including keel plans. Unfortunately, I sold the boat as-is to a non-sailer from Texas, who had a plan to make a world cruiser. Actually sold it at a good profit but don’t know whatever happened to it. I feel your pain.

soerencarlsen

Denmark
Soren,

I just saw your post and had to register to reply to your post. I owned a sistership Chance 44 named “Pleiades” around 1990. One of the 4 built. It had been neglected by a neighbor in Maryland, so I bought it cheap and started fixing it up.

I kept it docked at the neighbor’s pier in about 7’ of water and due to leak in the hydraulic cylinder, the swing keel was constantly bouncing on the ground whenever a powerboat wake would hit the stern. I bought some high tensile chain and winched the keel up using a rope slung between the two primary winches. Once in the swing keel well, I was able to attach the chains and secured them to a heavy steel plate across the top of the well.

Unfortunately, at some point, some huge waves must have hit the boat and the stress was so great that the massive steel plate cracked and the keel deployed with enough force to shear the pivot pin and disappear. I hired a couple different dive teams to try to located it, even using ground penetrating radar. Again, it was only 7’ deep at HIGH tide and about 5’ at low tide. The keel disappeared from the face of the earth.

I too did some initial replacement investigation but got distracted by the birth of my first daughter. The boat had complete plans, including keel plans. Unfortunately, I sold the boat as-is to a non-sailer from Texas, who had a plan to make a world cruiser. Actually sold it at a good profit but don’t know whatever happened to it. I feel your pain.
thank you for posting ! did you ever try a metaldetector to try locate the keel ?
I was thinking of getting hold of one but they come in so many price ranges that I am a bit confuced. But thanks again.