Cheap Multi 23

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
Well, now it would be interesting if someone with google fu can find the relevant spot in that years R2AK thread where there was chatter about 40plus' racing and retirement?   And post a link.

40Plus

PNW
Well, now it would be interesting if someone with google fu can find the relevant spot in that years R2AK thread where there was chatter about 40plus' racing and retirement?   And post a link.
I can tell you that we pulled the plug in Nanaimo. 

multihuler

Anarchist
Reno
I can tell you that we pulled the plug in Nanaimo. 
was that year 2?  that must of been tough to pullout in the lead, so you have been close twice, what a curse, now you have to race again.

this year will be cancelled, so there will be plenty of time to prep for 2021

Last edited by a moderator:

40Plus

PNW
what were the mods that you would do over? 
Do over? Not sure I’m clear what you are asking. All the mods we did structurally and for performance worked great. We reinforced all the beam attachment points, made the beams stiffer and  added a horizontal fin on the rudder to help reduce pitching. 

For  performance we had a canting rig, got rid of the centerboard and put in a daggerboard, big bowsprit and a masthead spinnaker.

40Plus

PNW
was that year 2?  that must of been tough to pullout in the lead, so you have been close twice, what a curse, now you have to race again
Year 3, 2017. TBH there is no way we could have held the lead unless it was going to turn into a downwind race, even then It would have just prolonged the inevitable. As they say shit happens especially in a race like the R2AK. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Do over? Not sure I’m clear what you are asking. All the mods we did structurally and for performance worked great. We reinforced all the beam attachment points, made the beams stiffer and  added a horizontal fin on the rudder to help reduce pitching. 

For  performance we had a canting rig, got rid of the centerboard and put in a daggerboard, big bowsprit and a masthead spinnaker.
Yeah, all those things were needed for the Multi 23

Geese

I think he means at what point were the returns diminishing? You were prepping for a winner take all/ possible survival conditions so it perhaps all made sense for you... but what might a decent sailor looking to get decent performance in 0-25 knots do to improve this boat/ plan on having to fix if failing to proactively modify?

Last edited by a moderator:

40Plus

PNW
I think he means at what point were the returns diminishing? You were prepping for a winner take all/ possible survival conditions so it perhaps all made sense for you... but what might a decent sailor looking to get decent performance in 0-25 knots do to improve this boat/ plan on having to fix if failing to proactively modify?
Understood! I believe all the connection points where the beams attach are susceptible to damage, I’ve seen pictures of this happening. Also, the rudder lock system in MK 1 was terrible, we modified ours and made the cheeks stiffer to eliminate flex. This are the basic things I would look at if you are going race hard. 

The other improvements were strictly performance based and were definitely worth it. 

mundt

Anarchist
=
My forward aka ripped the deck like a zipper.  Bad enough 10 miles from my home port.  Could have been quite serious in a cold, isolated location.  My rudder folding up was rather unpleasant too.  Not to mention when the back 3rd of the boat sank.  

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
My forward aka ripped the deck like a zipper.  Bad enough 10 miles from my home port.  Could have been quite serious in a cold, isolated location.  My rudder folding up was rather unpleasant too.  Not to mention when the back 3rd of the boat sank.  
OK, is the build quality of the M23 that bad?  

mundt

Anarchist
=
Mine surely was but others seemed to hold up very well.  I was told by a very knowledgeable bloke that Chinese factory workers at his operation needed to be supervised constantly or the quality diminished instantly.  Maybe because they were being paid pennies a day?  NOT a political opinion!  Please don't start!

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Ours was ok, we did separate the main tabbing for the forward beam and the main hull, so we reinforced that, and we beefed up the washers for the attachment bolts to 3” diameter g10 pads.

the centerboard was a speed brake so we upgraded to a dagger board. The biggest issue for us, that we never solved, was where to store it. We tried 2 spots on the hard in Alameda, we got a side tie in Ballena, we bought a floating dock and tried marina bay. Nothing really worked.

Latest posts