Chesapeake cruising ideas (with deepish draft)

We've not had any trouble in the Chesapeake with a 9' draft but it's more of a transit for us. We anchor just outside of the C&D, then Baltimore, Annapolis, Solomon and Hampton.
It’s really a transit for us, too. Jumping off from Hampton at the end of the month, but aiming to fit in a few good stops along the way.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Yesterday, we moved to the Corsica River off the Chester River. Bit gloomy still weather-wise yesterday but glorious day today and a chance to get a few boat jobs ticked off the list. Mrs SD took a couple of trips up the mast. Will probably stay here another day.

One thing I appreciate about cruising down here is not getting woken up at 5am by the lobster boat armada setting out. We might have to set an alarm instead.
If you are there in the summer, the crab boats go by at 0-dark-thirty. Where are you in the Corsica? Did you get past Red 2 and up to the yacht club?

Bryanjb

Super Anarchist
Various
There are actually lots of spots to stop. Obviously Baltimore and Annapolis. Then Solomon Island and we like Godfrey Bay and Mobjack Bay. It looks like there are other nice spots to stop, we've just never had time. One of these years I would like to spend a couple months in the Chesapeake. It's a beautiful area.

If you are there in the summer, the crab boats go by at 0-dark-thirty. Where are you in the Corsica? Did you get past Red 2 and up to the yacht club?
We crept our way past Red 2 but anchored shortly after that. This afternoon we came back out and moved a very short distance to Cliff Point: a CFP is forecast for tonight and we’re just a little cautious of another “storm purge” (yes, with a P) with NNW winds and rising pressure.

Absolutely loving the quiet and solitude, but perhaps the geese could tone it done a bit.

Heading over to the Annapolis area tomorrow, to Harness Creek or Aberdeen Creek or wherever there’s space to anchor, to restock and fix stuff. A trip to Fawcett is showing on the radar.

Pinching

Anarchist
Power boat show (sail next week) this w/e so mornings are likely reduced and anchorages may be a bit crowded

After spending longer than we originally expected around Annapolis, not just doing boat chores but also catching up with friends at AYC and doing the boat show, it's now time to move on. But first, a shout out to Horton Marine Services who helped us out greatly. We will recommend them to friends following in our wake next year.

Our plan for the next two nights is St Michaels followed by Solomons. That leaves us with two more nights before we would like to be in Hampton. Recommendations welcomed on where to go, given, of course, our draft (water 8'6" and air 80'). The advice we've received her so far has been invaluable.

Looking forward to some slightly less bone-chilling morning temperatures. I was ready to add hydronic heat to the boat but Mrs SD vetoed that idea -- that's the trouble with girls who grew up racing in the Irish Sea.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
One of those little soapstone fireplaces can be a great addition to the cabin. Take the chill off, can burn charcoal or scrap paper, you can make a cup of tea on it. Doesn't take up much room but it is another thing piercing the cabin top to worry about.

We had a hydronic heater on our cruising boat and it was a wonderful addition for year-round cruising. I piped it to the head and so that the helmsman had a warm draft on the backs of his/her legs.

bgytr

Super Anarchist
After spending longer than we originally expected around Annapolis, not just doing boat chores but also catching up with friends at AYC and doing the boat show, it's now time to move on. But first, a shout out to Horton Marine Services who helped us out greatly. We will recommend them to friends following in our wake next year.

Our plan for the next two nights is St Michaels followed by Solomons. That leaves us with two more nights before we would like to be in Hampton. Recommendations welcomed on where to go, given, of course, our draft (water 8'6" and air 80'). The advice we've received her so far has been invaluable.

Looking forward to some slightly less bone-chilling morning temperatures. I was ready to add hydronic heat to the boat but Mrs SD vetoed that idea -- that's the trouble with girls who grew up racing in the Irish Sea.
Gwynn Island. Haven't been there in a while but from what I see online it hasn't changed much. Kind of a cool stop to get a feel for rural Chesapeake.

Wess

Super Anarchist
Crisfield and hop a tour boat over to Smith and Tangier.

And Cape Charles if you don’t mind the detour if not going outside and doing ICW.

Oh and I would pick Oxford over Solomons but that is just me. Solomons is an easier in and out though for sure. Don’t do Knapps Narrows if doing Oxford no matter what the chart says. That route ain’t doable with your draft.

T sailor

Chesapeake
Crisfield and hop a tour boat over to Smith and Tangier.

And Cape Charles if you don’t mind the detour if not going outside and doing ICW.

Oh and I would pick Oxford over Solomons but that is just me. Solomons is an easier in and out though for sure. Don’t do Knapps Narrows if doing Oxford no matter what the chart says. That route ain’t doable with your draft.
Crisfield is a no go with his draft. There are some spots under 8’ in the channel approaching town. He might be able to make it depending on tides but why add the stress.

Wess

Super Anarchist
Crisfield is a no go with his draft. There are some spots under 8’ in the channel approaching town. He might be able to make it depending on tides but why add the stress.
Seriously? I was in there with 10 helping friend move boat earlier this year. In and out on high tide and bumped once or twice but nothing too severe. Thanks for head's up.

T sailor

Chesapeake
Seriously? I was in there with 10 helping friend move boat earlier this year. In and out on high tide and bumped once or twice but nothing too severe. Thanks for head's up.
I was there this summer in a small powerboat and was watching the sounder closely to see how risky it would be with my 7’ draft keelboat. At low tide there are some spots under 8’.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Should be ok from the west side. Chart depths are MLL. Minimum MLL on west side is 11 feet, plenty of room by Chesapeake standards.
1666391693468.png

That one area with the arrow looks questionable. Maybe do it at high tide?
(of course around here danger = stuck in mud, not Maine danger)

Latest posts