Chi-Mac Race - to the T-10 that does not understand rule 17

ftbinc

Chciago
To the loud mouth T-10 helmsman (who, by the grace of the boat owner on the blue boat in the diagram, was able to stand on the podium on Mac Island instead of DSQ'ed) Please read and understand rule 11 and 17:

11 ON THE SAME TACK, OVERLAPPED
When boats are on the same tack and overlapped, a windward boat
shall keep clear of a leeward boat.
17 ON THE SAME TACK; PROPER COURSE
If a boat clear astern becomes overlapped within two of her hull
lengths to leeward of a boat on the same tack, she shall not sail
above her proper course while they remain on the same tack and
overlapped within that distance, unless in doing so she promptly sails
astern of the other boat. This rule does not apply if the overlap
begins while the windward boat is required by rule 13 to keep clear.

If you do understand rule 17 and by your statements on the water you don't (Unless you were trying to bullshit your way, in which case it would be a rule 69 violation, given the number of years you have been racing, this is a distinct possibility as well.) Then you owe our boat at least a bottle of rum for giving you a pass.

Our overlap on you began well before we were within two boat lengths below you, given that we were sailing at a much closer angle with our Asym AND rule 17 is clear that we may not sail above our proper course (which we never did) - your proper course does not matter. - read case 14 and case 46.

sailboats.jpg

Please be assured, that if you ever, ever pull the shit you pulled at grays reef on a boat i'm on again, I will protest you, take it to the room and make sure your ass is DSQ'ed and if you scream we came from astern and it is your proper course that matters, I will add a rule 2,and rule 69 violations based on case 47.

Cement_Shoes

Super Anarchist
A to Z
You can't add a rule 69 violation in this future hypothetical scenario as you would be a competitor. Unless you first place them on double secret probation.

ftbinc

Chciago
You can't add a rule 69 violation in this future hypothetical scenario as you would be a competitor. Unless you first place them on double secret probation.
If they knowing quote a rule wrong to gain an advantage, they would be in violation of rule 2 and possibly rule 69 - see the case 47.

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
I think you need to draw the line perpendicular to the CL of the blue boat at position 1. From that perspective, green is clearly ahead.

If you (blue) weren't in the zone, I don't see how you can claim an overlap on green based on the drawing I'm seeing here until position 3, which is well inside the zone. This is too late to establish rights over green.

Or am I missing something?

ftbinc

Chciago
Sorry everyone - The tool used to draw this had the mark on it, There was no MARK or obstruction so any reference to 18 or 19 is not applicable. sorry for the confusion.

magic1637

if you are rounding the mark to port it looks to me like the green boat had an overlap and deserved room. if to starboard, that's another story.

sorry -- posted before i saw that there was no mark.

mad

Super Anarchist
To the loud mouth T-10 helmsman (who, by the grace of the boat owner on the blue boat in the diagram, was able to stand on the podium on Mac Island instead of DSQ'ed) Please read and understand rule 11 and 17:

If you do understand rule 17 and by your statements on the water you don't (Unless you were trying to bullshit your way, in which case it would be a rule 69 violation, given the number of years you have been racing, this is a distinct possibility as well.) Then you owe our boat at least a bottle of rum for giving you a pass.

Our overlap on you began well before we were within two boat lengths below you, given that we were sailing at a much closer angle with our Asym AND rule 17 is clear that we may not sail above our proper course (which we never did) - your proper course does not matter. - read case 14 and case 46.

sailboats.jpg

Please be assured, that if you ever, ever pull the shit you pulled at grays reef on a boat i'm on again, I will protest you, take it to the room and make sure your ass is DSQ'ed and if you scream we came from astern and it is your proper course that matters, I will add a rule 2,and rule 69 violations based on case 47.
Did he know "who the fuck you were"?
You had the chance to protest and you didn't.

Tough shit. Quit crying about it and grow up.

Edit

Read up on rule 69 as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Wow, you've been holding this in for 7 days. Name the boats. Name the players, or take to to Whining Anarchy.

-Jim Calto- yo.
+1, just protest and make your case to someone who can do something about your alleged grievance. Pretty lame...

dcbsheb

Super Anarchist
Sheboygan, WI
top 5 T-ten's:

Erica

Talisman

Temerity

Cheap Thrill

Rover.

Who we talkin' 'bout here?
You could probably go back and look at the tracker through Gray's Reef and narrow it down even more.

Seriously, name the boats or STFU. Why not just walk up to them on the dock, speak your mind, and leave at that.

flatearth

Unless there was a protest with facts found, a conclusion, and decision, it is like it never happened.

The basic principle applies to both of you.

SPORTSMANSHIP AND THE RULES

Competitors in the sport of sailing are governed by a body of rules that they are expected to follow and enforce. A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is that when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty, which may be to retire.

Oh and BTW, since by your diagram the overlap was established more than 2BL apart, rule 17 does not apply and the windward boat is obligated to keep clear by rule 11, and you may luff head to wind if you so desire as long as you give room under rule 16 when you alter course.

HILLY

HILLY
Lake Macquarie
You are kidding right?

By your diagram you are doing about 1.75 x his boatspeed, why didnt you aim for his stern and just blow past him in clean air instead of putting yourself in a covered position, which would take longer to get out of if he has to come up as

windward boat.

If he is doing 4 knots, he will cover his own boatlength in just over 5 secs. less time if he is going faster.. did he beat you on corrected by 5 secs. or less??

If I was in T 10 and thought you were going to pull a dumb move like that, I would have gybed onto starboard at pos. 2.

Just because you have R.O.W. doesn't mean it is a SMART move to use it in a situation like this, a 300 mile+ race... you have got to be shitting me. I'm guessing that if it has you this upset so far after the race then you would have lost a lot of focus DURING the race, and spent time thinking of ways to hurt, damage or kill him, instead of focusing on what is fast. Hows your blood pressure.

Fast Laser

Chicago

attachicon.gif
sailboats.jpg

Protest when it counts or be quiet about the incident....very poor form to bring it up at this juncture.