CHI-MAC Race Wx

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
The weather over the midwest has been anything but typical this year. Late season snow, horrendous floods, and other weather related anomalies. What will the CHI-MAC race and HURON-MAC race bring?  It is too early to tell but the start of the race is not that far off and it is time to start watching trends if you are responsible for navigation/routing.

For those teams that still haven't gotten it together and ordered team shirts/shorts/hats etc. It is not too late. Stop by and have a look at very affordable options:  TEAM GEAR AT UP TO 60% OFF. We'll even design your logo for FREE.

Last edited by a moderator:

stayoutofthemiddle

Super Anarchist
Chicago
The weather over the midwest has been anything but typical this year. Late season snow, horrendous floods, and other weather related anomalies. What will the CHI-MAC race and HURON-MAC race bring?  It is too early to tell but the start of the race is not that far off and it is time to start watching trends if you are responsible for navigation/routing.

For those teams that still haven't gotten it together and ordered team shirts/shorts/hats etc. It is not too late. Stop by and have a look at very affordable options:  TEAM GEAR AT UP TO 60% OFF. We'll even design your logo for FREE.
This far out talking about Mac weather?! Sounds more like Self Promotion thread for whatever "Dry Armour" is...  Is that a play on Underarmour?

stayoutofthemiddle

Super Anarchist
Chicago
This far out talking about Mac weather?! Sounds more like  Is a Self Promotion thread for whatever "Dry Armour" is...  Is that a play on Underarmour?
 I skimmed it so I missed the 60% off bit at the bottom. So yes, this is an advisement disguised as sailing chatter. Start the topic (way too) early, reply to every post, and promote your widget. Now back to our regular programming....

Grinder

Super Anarchist
Chicago, IL
Dry Armor has been a sponsor and advertiser on SA Since the start. He is a good man with goods to sell who fully supports SA.  SOTM are you new here?  

stayoutofthemiddle

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Dry Armor has been a sponsor and advertiser on SA Since the start. He is a good man with goods to sell who fully supports SA.  SOTM are you new here?  
Not that new, so I suspect that speaks to the effectiveness of the advertising strategy.

But as they say, any publicity is good publicity so this thread is helping the cause...

Hello Mark:

Since the HURON-MAC race is a week before the CHI-MAC I have a question about the former race.

The local newspapers are publishing stories that the Great Lakes are dangerously coldThe NOAA weather buoy #45003 off Alpena says the water temp today is 39.7 degrees and the air temp is 44.6 degrees.

For boats on the Shore Course I assume the significant difference between land and water temps may create a nice seabreeze after sunrise or a land breeze after sunset.  How far offshore do you have to be to take best advantage of a seabreeze/landbreeze ?

NOAA 45033 June 26.JPG

stayoutofthemiddle

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Hello Mark:

Since the HURON-MAC race is a week before the CHI-MAC I have a question about the former race.

The local newspapers are publishing stories that the Great Lakes are dangerously coldThe NOAA weather buoy #45003 off Alpena says the water temp today is 39.7 degrees and the air temp is 44.6 degrees.

For boats on the Shore Course I assume the significant difference between land and water temps may create a nice seabreeze after sunrise or a land breeze after sunset.  How far offshore do you have to be to take best advantage of a seabreeze/landbreeze ?

View attachment 275066
This is a legitimate weather question. Is Mark a weather man or just selling t-shirts? Now I'm really confused...

widget

CT
But the colder it gets the more gear you need!   Yup, the lake is cold.   Take an extra mid layer.

So long as weather commentary exceeds promotion the thread is useful.  

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
Hello Mark:

View attachment 275066
It is indeed a fair bit colder on Lake Huron this year but I do see in the latest five day trend analysis that the lake is beginning to warm albeit somewhat behind schedule for a typical year. The answer to your question though depends on where you are on the lake from a latitude standpoint and also with regard to water depth. The shallower bays and areas where subsurface terrain are not deep will warm sooner between now and the race making for less of an ocean breeze during the day as the thermal gradient is not as steep.  Take a look at the map in the link below and I would stay within 10 miles of the shore when possible to take best advantage of the diurnal pattern particularly in the colder portions of the lake.

The land/seabreeze effect is of course overwhelmed by frontal passages as they come through. As I pointed out in the start of the thread, it has been pretty volatile this year in that part of the country and if the frontal systems remain potent, I would let them be the determining factor. Fingers crossed that the high pressure dome doesn't set up and squash an otherwise fun race. Please drop me a note with any questions.

hswt.gif

Passport111

Great analysis.  I've noticed a pretty strong effect recently on the Michigan side.  Especially with the psychotic weather with 40 degree temperature swings. 

When it swings up, and its going to be a sunny hot one, you may not want to be near shore if the predominant breeze will be offshore and opposing the sea breeze.  If there is little or no predominant breeze or its from the East (for you on Huron), different story.

My $.02.

Latest posts