CHI-MAC Race Wx

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
I just returned from the Huron Challenge Doublehanded and I can assure you it is Brrrrr cold up there with a capital B.
I am curious if the much cooler waters had a dowsing effect on the thunderstorm activity as it moved over the lake and a theoretically more stable air mass. Please reply when time allows. Thank you.

stayoutofthemiddle

Super Anarchist
Chicago
I just returned from the Huron Challenge Doublehanded and I can assure you it is Brrrrr cold up there with a capital B.
Glad I'm sitting the ChiMac out this year! Sitting on the rail for two nights in the cold doesn't sound fun (ever). Weather has been bad enough this summer in Chicago without seeking out worse conditions. I've got nothing to prove and don't have fantasies of recreating the Whitbread.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
You're new around here, aren't you?
New here.jpeg

I am curious if the much cooler waters had a dowsing effect on the thunderstorm activity as it moved over the lake and a theoretically more stable air mass. Please reply when time allows. Thank you.
We were warned of t-storms, but got nothing but cold rain. So they must have dissipated when hitting the coast. We got moderate wind shifts that occurred over minutes to an hour vs sudden.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeO

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Looks like surface temps near-shore will be hitting the 70's in a week, and probably keep going up reaching mid/upper 70's if this string of 85+ air temps holds for a couple weeks. If that's the case, with the race being 3 weeks out, I predict "normal" mid-summer surface temps

LM Surface Temps

Callahan

Anarchist
Just got back yesterday from trip from Chicag to Port Huron. Water temps f.rom 58 to 50 degrees. No bad lweather but thick fog from thunder bay to port sanilact. Time to get AiS , we did and it hepejd a lot

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
A little feedback from today's frontal passage across Lake Michigan please. I was able to get back in front of my computer about an hour after the front pushed back onshore on the East side of the lake.  Was it a fireworks show all day or did the cooler lake water flatten out the convection a bit. Please let me know.  The real time lightning map below is about an hour after the front came in over the land and I suspect enhanced the convection. Please let me know what you saw today if you were on the lake.

Lake Michigan lightning 07012018.jpg

sidmon

Super Anarchist
Chicago
A little feedback from today's frontal passage across Lake Michigan please. I was able to get back in front of my computer about an hour after the front pushed back onshore on the East side of the lake.  Was it a fireworks show all day or did the cooler lake water flatten out the convection a bit. Please let me know.  The real time lightning map below is about an hour after the front came in over the land and I suspect enhanced the convection. Please let me know what you saw today if you were on the lake.

View attachment 275651
From my vantage at the Mustang on the island, the north end petered out...

Of note the locals I’m sitting with have found the persistent easterlies over the last few weeks quite the anomaly.

And the Solo Mac dealt with northerlies up the lake then some angry east stuff down the strait.

From the Helm

Anarchist
Michigan

View attachment 275651
In Holland the wind continued at S and increased for about an hour from 10 knots to about 20 knots before the storm.  Stayed warm on the shore.  Wind stayed at S and blew up to 25 knots as the storm front passed over.  After the clouds passed we could hear more thunder inland.  The wind dropped to near zero after the front passed.  

The temps were 90+ prior to front and dropped to low 80's with lower humidity.

Observation from South Haven was the gust front and rain were substantially higher, 40 MPH wind estimated, I did not check the bouy. 45168

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
In Holland the wind continued at S and increased for about an hour from 10 knots to about 20 knots before the storm.  Stayed warm on the shore.  Wind stayed at S and blew up to 25 knots as the storm front passed over.  After the clouds passed we could hear more thunder inland.  The wind dropped to near zero after the front passed.  

The temps were 90+ prior to front and dropped to low 80's with lower humidity.

Observation from South Haven was the gust front and rain were substantially higher, 40 MPH wind estimated, I did not check the bouy. 45168
Thank you so much for that great recap. EXACTLY* what I was looking for. Have a great 4th of July.

Monkey

Super Anarchist

View attachment 275651
When it passed over Sheboygan it was minimal lighting but 3 minutes of extreme rain and VERY high wind, as in about one big tree down per block. The violence of the storm made me think tornado at first. 

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
'89 rears it's ugly head again.

That should put the fear of God in everyone that was there.  20nm on Sunday, swam twice, and won our class.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I think '89 reared its ugly head in 2009 and in 2013. Once ('89) was bad enough!
What's funny is that in '89 Monday night turned out to be one of my most memorable nights of sailing.  8+ knots spinnaker reaching through the tous.  Seriously, the conversation I had with the owner that night was the best ever.  It remains one of my favorite Macs (out of 50+).  We've met.  Best of luck to all racing this year.  Be safe.