Chicago Area III

Any comment on the Section Breaks. If I were still racing the 38 I would not be too unhappy (Some but not TOO). While on the TP52 I think its way too big a spread particularly on the Port-to-Ports.

Robin

Ha..yep! I had to use a lifeline on that one. Sorry for any confusion Regis.
W/L on Sunday uses drop marks?
At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth again, yes. It did last year, and I'm assuming it will again this year. Can't really set a true windward - leeward course with fixed marks.
You would have a 20/45 shot at being within 10 degrees of the correct heading (check my math). Distance is another story.

The Circus might be in town for that whole weekend. Lockup your valuables.

Christian

Super Anarchist
Ha..yep! I had to use a lifeline on that one. Sorry for any confusion Regis.
W/L on Sunday uses drop marks?
At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth again, yes. It did last year, and I'm assuming it will again this year. Can't really set a true windward - leeward course with fixed marks.
You would have a 20/45 shot at being within 10 degrees of the correct heading (check my math). Distance is another story.

The Circus might be in town for that whole weekend. Lockup your valuables.
And any loose women

Anarchist
Chicago
In Scuttlebutt this morning:

EIGHT BELLS

Dick Jennings, one of my oldest and dearest sailing friends, died this

morning, May 17, 2011 at 10:30am. He passed peacefully, on his own terms,

and surrounded by people who loved him dearly.

I met Dick when we were racing in the 1968 Chicago's Yachting One-of-a-Kind

Regatta. I worked for North Sails, and Dick had a Soveral 24. I made some

sails, he won some races, and our life-long friendship began.

Dick's first one tonner Pied Piper, an aluminum Housemann, dominated the

Mac races in his class. He partnered his next Pied Piper Peterson one

tonner with Lowell North to win the One Ton World Championship. Dick

competed in 35 years of Mac Races. Next came the Peterson two tonners from

New Orleans, winning the SORC and Great Lakes Races.

A meeting with Bill Lee led to the building of the Santa Cruz 70 Pied Piper

in 1986 and the start of the GL70 Class. He won many Mac races and in 1987

he broke the 78-year old record. With his SC 70 Blondie, he won numerous

races in the Caribbean circuit.

What a ride we had and the best thing of all was his crews and the way he

was able to find, train and befriend some of the most wonderful guys and

girls to be great crews, some working on his boats, some in his business

and some like me just being part of the ride. Thanks, Dick. -- John Rumsey

NOTE: A Celebration of Life ceremony will be held in Chicago, date to be

determined.

OffShore Sam

The loss of Dick is a considerable loss on so many levels that I cannot begin to write or express its magnitude. I thought about starting a Dick Jennings RIP thread here, but the fact is that he would have hated that. Dick was one of a kind. I celebrated his life last night with a good friend (and have the hang over to prove it) and my friend made a great comment. "If not for Dick Jennings, I am not sitting here..." and that is true. Dick affected the lives of so many people it is amazing. I could go on and on, but honestly, this forum is not deserving of Dick. There are more appropriate and fitting places to honor his memory... It is not a shot at SA, simply a fact.

ChiGuy

Super Anarchist
I'd like to say that Dick was one of a kind... but Chicago seems to have had quite of few of those. I heard some wonderful stories from Dick.

To Jack and all of Dick's family, my deepest condolences.

Larry

Super Anarchist
Condolences to Dick Jennings' family and his many friends in the sailing community.

To me, Mr. Jennings was a mainstay in Chicago sail racing history.

Fair winds.

Teddy

Anarchist
Chicago
Lot's of conversations with Dick over the years. I liked him. A lot. He was quick with self deprecating humor. And equally quick with why racing is so important. And why we all need to protect racing.

Alice often speaks of (her words) "How cute he was at Karen's party in Key West. Flipping burgers and dogs for all of us." He had a big smile on his face and it got bigger when we showed up with 10 crew, hangers on and more food for him to cook. Probably 10 years ago. Good party.

T

Irishdriver

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Fair Winds Dick, and deep condolensces to his family....his love of the sport carries on thru them.

The sailing community is a better place because he was part of it, a big part.

ID

Tenacity

MORF's first points race is on Saturday starting at 11:30am - an Olympic triangle on the SA7 circle. New members of the fleet are $75 for the season; $200 for returning members. Any boat with PHRF>47 is welcome to join and race with us. We're committee boat for the first race - our tradition for some years now. We'll call the race for safety or if the conditions get out of hand, but for damned little else. Look at the website (http://morfracing.org/) for the application and details.

<sarcasm>

Glad to see that A3 is getting off to a great start for 2011

</sarcasm>

"May 16, 2011 - Abe Jacobs is cancelledDue to several reasons, primarily my travelling out of the country on an essential company/academic mission, BPYC will not be running the Abe Jacobs race this weekend. The weather has been absurd and most racers are not in the water and few have had time to practice are additional reasons. We will provide complete refunds to anyone who has signed up for the race.

Don Waller - BPYC"

Area III Notice Board
Mother f*cker!

And I just spent 2 hours last night figuring out the stupid registration system just to ensure we'd be registered in time.

Glad I made it a priority to get into our slip and have our rig up in time for racing, this season.

skidmarks

Chicago
Too bad it couldn't have been moved to Sunday and combined for the boats that were planning on racing then; I think there are many who planned on boatwork for Saturday to finish their pre-season prep.

For those that already haven't made other plans on Sunday, here is a tentative one:

Plan on a 12:00pm "start" at Navy Pier. We will likely use the crib and at least one beercan mark for our course. We may have a Columbia chase boat out there to assist with the start, and perhaps the finish.

Right now, Winnebago, Lightning, Skidmarks, and possibly Wombat will be planning on coming out to tune-up and do some practicing. The more the merrier.

Tune your radios to Channel 72 around 11am for updates...

MORF's first points race is on Saturday starting at 11:30am - an Olympic triangle on the SA7 circle. New members of the fleet are $75 for the season; $200 for returning members. Any boat with PHRF>47 is welcome to join and race with us. We're committee boat for the first race - our tradition for some years now. We'll call the race for safety or if the conditions get out of hand, but for damned little else. Look at the website (http://morfracing.org/) for the application and details.

<sarcasm>

Glad to see that A3 is getting off to a great start for 2011

</sarcasm>

"May 16, 2011 - Abe Jacobs is cancelledDue to several reasons, primarily my travelling out of the country on an essential company/academic mission, BPYC will not be running the Abe Jacobs race this weekend. The weather has been absurd and most racers are not in the water and few have had time to practice are additional reasons. We will provide complete refunds to anyone who has signed up for the race.

Don Waller - BPYC"

Area III Notice Board
Mother f*cker!

And I just spent 2 hours last night figuring out the stupid registration system just to ensure we'd be registered in time.

Glad I made it a priority to get into our slip and have our rig up in time for racing, this season.

ChiGuy

Super Anarchist
What a lovely boat on the front page of June's Sailing World. Have to admit that the redhead on the C&C getting rolled is rather cute.

gqchicago

Chicago, IL
If you own a 36.7, T-10, J111, J105, or Shields/Etchells, CYC is hosting a race on Sat open to all, run out of Belmont, One Design. They are trying to get in 8 races this Sat, short legs. You can sign up on Yachtscoring. They will have a videographer out there taknig videos for post race debriefing. Oh, perhaps best of all, the 36.7 fleet is sponsoring a free keg at Belmont at the end of the day! Well at this point, I might say "best" just qualifies as getting out on the water and not having it cancelled, or weather so bad you can't go out.

Grinder

Super Anarchist
Chicago, IL
Circus will be putting up the rig tonite at about 5-7pm at Corinthian. Stop by for a beer or 3 & maybe lend a hand.

Circus will be putting up the rig tonite at about 5-7pm at Corinthian. Stop by for a beer or 3 & maybe lend a hand.