Chicago Area III

Little help:

New to Chicago this year, haven't really had time to do any racing with my boat yet - but I am interested in doing the tri-state to at least get my feet wet for next season. I cannot seem to locate any information on how to register. The only thing I can find are some out of date sailing instructions on the sail yacht racing website. Who hosts this thing?

thanks in advance

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Little help:

New to Chicago this year, haven't really had time to do any racing with my boat yet - but I am interested in doing the tri-state to at least get my feet wet for next season. I cannot seem to locate any information on how to register. The only thing I can find are some out of date sailing instructions on the sail yacht racing website. Who hosts this thing?

thanks in advance
Though most boats do multiple legs, the TriState is actually three races hosted by three different area YC's (or two races for those who opt for the BiState). You can register for any/all three legs of the TriState on the Area III site. There is a link to the BiState return trip registration on the Area III schedule page. Whatever you do, don't miss the festivities at the St Joe River YC - the main attraction aside from racing. Here you go...

http://www.sailyachtracing.com/A3/

Last edited by a moderator:
Little help:

thanks in advance
Though most boats do multiple legs, the TriState is actually three races hosted by three different area YC's (or two races for those who opt for the BiState). You can register for any/all three legs of the TriState on the Area III site. There is a link to the BiState return trip registration on the Area III schedule page. Whatever you do, don't miss the festivities at the St Joe River YC - the main attraction aside from racing. Here you go...

http://www.sailyachtracing.com/A3/
Thanks! Couldn't find this for some reason - bookmarked now!

Grinder

Super Anarchist
Chicago, IL
Tri-State will always be a good time and great time to network for crew if you are looking.

Let us know what else you need, there are a fair amount of good resources on this thread.

ChiGuy

Super Anarchist
Little help:

thanks in advance
What sort of boat?

Little help:

thanks in advance
What sort of boat?
C&C 35-1

ChiGuy

Super Anarchist
Little help:

thanks in advance
What sort of boat?
C&C 35-1
If you're interested in weekend buouy racing, there's a group named MORF that would be appropriate for the 35. We race just south of the 4 mile crib.

Corinthian Yacht Club at Montrose harbor also has a rather active PHRF fleet... and also some of the best value beer in Chicago.

Little help:

thanks in advance
What sort of boat?
C&C 35-1
If you're interested in weekend buouy racing, there's a group named MORF that would be appropriate for the 35. We race just south of the 4 mile crib.

Corinthian Yacht Club at Montrose harbor also has a rather active PHRF fleet... and also some of the best value beer in Chicago.
I'm keeping the boat at Montrose and have been pleased with observing* the sailing scene there. I travel a lot for work and also campaign a boat in Detroit so I am spread a little thin. That being said, it is a goal of mine to try to get the boat out on the race course next season with some regularity. I really appreciate the invitation, and that is good to know about MORF - as I've been wondering what the right venue is. Since I've been here I have been racing in the T-10 fleet (what a great class!), but never see too many handicap boats out there. It sounds like different time and place perhaps.

I assume these MORF events are indicated on the sailyachtracing website link that was provided earlier in the thread, yeah?

ChiGuy

Super Anarchist
Little help:

thanks in advance
What sort of boat?
C&C 35-1

I'm keeping the boat at Montrose and have been pleased with observing* the sailing scene there. I travel a lot for work and also campaign a boat in Detroit so I am spread a little thin. That being said, it is a goal of mine to try to get the boat out on the race course next season with some regularity. I really appreciate the invitation, and that is good to know about MORF - as I've been wondering what the right venue is. Since I've been here I have been racing in the T-10 fleet (what a great class!), but never see too many handicap boats out there. It sounds like different time and place perhaps.

I assume these MORF events are indicated on the sailyachtracing website link that was provided earlier in the thread, yeah?
There used to be a decent PHRF group in "Area III", but these days it's almost exclusively one design. T10, Beneteau 36.7, etc.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
I posted this a while ago, but a fairly recent summary of participation/popularity for Area III races.

image.jpeg

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
May I have your permission to share this image?
Share away. Note that it's 2015, the CYC Race to Mackinac was excluded (the premier event), and it's only Area III - there's club racing, MORF, beer cans, dinghy racing, etc. The main reason I did the summary was to verify how port to ports are way more popular than buoy racing. Like everywhere, racers are getting (way) older and new blood (owners, crew, boats) isn't close to keeping up. The few areas I've seen that claim to be growing sail racing have done so in recent years (less than 10?), the longer term story is one of decline pretty much everywhere...

dcbsheb

Super Anarchist
Sheboygan, WI
Share away. Note that it's 2015, the CYC Race to Mackinac was excluded (the premier event), and it's only Area III - there's club racing, MORF, beer cans, dinghy racing, etc. The main reason I did the summary was to verify how port to ports are way more popular than buoy racing. Like everywhere, racers are getting (way) older and new blood (owners, crew, boats) isn't close to keeping up. The few areas I've seen that claim to be growing sail racing have done so in recent years (less than 10?), the longer term story is one of decline pretty much everywhere...
Why include the Queens Cup? Isn't SSYC in Area II?

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Why include the Queens Cup? Isn't SSYC in Area II?
Fair point. I included it because the QC is a big race that many Area III boats do...

Latest posts