Chicago Area III

Glenn McCarthy

Super Anarchist
Elmhurst, IL
USCG Rules are the toughest in the world.

That said, with the 6-pack license, all that is needed is a USCG licensed captain. The 6-pack boats like this are not inspected by the Coast Guard.

I'm glad that Shamaila and Cassandra are calling for stricter inspection procedures for 'time share programs'. Also, I'm sure Shamaila and Cassandra were quite dismayed to find out that Sean Swank was time sharing the powerboat, and not the owner of the boat; 'Like, what a bummer, right?'

May I have your permission to share this image?
Share away. Note that it's 2015, the CYC Race to Mackinac was excluded (the premier event), and it's only Area III - there's club racing, MORF, beer cans, dinghy racing, etc. The main reason I did the summary was to verify how port to ports are way more popular than buoy racing. Like everywhere, racers are getting (way) older and new blood (owners, crew, boats) isn't close to keeping up. The few areas I've seen that claim to be growing sail racing have done so in recent years (less than 10?), the longer term story is one of decline pretty much everywhere...
Kind of a sad reality. It also goes to how Michigan City screwed the pooch with the Tri-State, after years of grumbling by the fleet about how they were treated at MC with no improvements many boats voted with their feet and started the Bi-State. It is next to impossible now to get those boats back to do the 3 legs.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
I assume this been beaten to death in the past, but I can't seem to find the right search term to bring up an SA thread on ORR. Is there some good reason CYC uses ORR certs exclusively, for example the Verve Cup?

fucket

Anarchist
Chicago, IL
I assume this been beaten to death in the past, but I can't seem to find the right search term to bring up an SA thread on ORR. Is there some good reason CYC uses ORR certs exclusively, for example the Verve Cup?
Well, for one thing CYC was involved in the creation of ORR.

SailChiTown

Yes, it's actually quite simple. CYC along with the Transpac YC and [SIZE=10.5pt]Cruising Club of America developed and own the ORR (previously AmeriCap) rating rule. They paid lots of money to [/SIZE]develop[SIZE=10.5pt] it and want to get their [/SIZE]money's[SIZE=10.5pt] worth. With all 3 of the biggest, highest profile long distance races in America under the same rating rule, it helps boats to only have to optimize for one rule. That said, from the CYC side of this equation, they have a mandate to only use ORR in any race run by CYC. The only exception to this is Chicago NOOD. Since Sailing World has a similar mandate to always use PHRF in their regattas, CYC and SW offer both PHRF and ORR at the NOOD.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Bottom line, they own it and paid good money for it therefore, must use it.[/SIZE]

Fast Laser

Chicago
Actually a few of your key statement about ORR & its relationship to CYC are just plain wrong.

1) ORR is owned by Offshore Racing Association (ORA), not CYC or any other Yacht Club.

2) CYC has never paid any money to develop ORR. Initial development money for Americap/ORR came from individual donors.

Bottom line, CYC does not own ORR & did not pay any money for it; therefore, CYC could chose a different rule in the future.

ropetrick

Super Anarchist
Actually a few of your key statement about ORR & its relationship to CYC are just plain wrong.

1) ORR is owned by Offshore Racing Association (ORA), not CYC or any other Yacht Club.

2) CYC has never paid any money to develop ORR. Initial development money for Americap/ORR came from individual donors.

Bottom line, CYC does not own ORR & did not pay any money for it; therefore, CYC could chose a different rule in the future.
Please clarify; the developers of Americap/ORR are members of what yacht club?

Last edited by a moderator:

austin1972

Super Anarchist
Hey, if you did the Chi-Mac and your name is Chuck, and you lost your red 2002 Mt. Gay Chi-Mac hat...It showed up in front of my house today. 312 area code, so Chicago.

PM me.

It's kinda wet.

Grinder

Super Anarchist
Chicago, IL

Please clarify; the developers of Americap/ORR are members of what yacht club?
It's in the link.

http://www.offshoreracingrule.org/about-us/committee

dcbsheb

Super Anarchist
Sheboygan, WI

You're an idiot if you actually believe that statement. As long as ORR exists, CYC cannot and will not score the Chicago Mac race under any other rating rule.

Grinder

Super Anarchist
Chicago, IL
You do realize who you are replying to, right?

You may want to recind the idiot thing.

olshitsky

never posted a pic on SA before, am I missing something or is it not intuitive? (pic of the power boat at Crowley's that was getting bashed up against the wall in the video above)

dcbsheb

Super Anarchist
Sheboygan, WI
You do realize who you are replying to, right?

You may want to recind the idiot thing.
I thought this was an anonymous forum? While the person making the statement may be Einsteins twin brother, my comment about CYC ever using a different rating rule for the Mac Race before ORR dies a slow death stands as written.