Chicago Area III

spring fever

Wisconsin
this is big:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1102285884509&ca=91c1555d-e200-4fcd-86b8-f1b3592e531c

It is likely that Mackinac Island will start opening in the 3rd week of June.  This is three weeks before the 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race and is adequate time for us to run the Race. Due to this compressed timing there will be some required adjustments.
Big or short-sighted? Let's consider the number of international sailors who come in for the Macs and then look at the boats with 10+ crew members. Regardless of when the end of the stay-home orders takes place, we'll need to take social distancing into consideration. It's simply unwise to pack people of different households on a boat for 40+ hours and send them to an island with limited hospital resources or send them back to their hometowns as carriers increasing the spread. Then look at the population of sailors racing who are over 50yo and have underlying conditions. 

From a PR standpoint, I'd rather take a hard pass on running a race this year than chance being the next source of an outbreak. Which headline would you prefer?

SailChiTown

Big or short-sighted? Let's consider the number of international sailors who come in for the Macs and then look at the boats with 10+ crew members. Regardless of when the end of the stay-home orders takes place, we'll need to take social distancing into consideration. It's simply unwise to pack people of different households on a boat for 40+ hours and send them to an island with limited hospital resources or send them back to their hometowns as carriers increasing the spread. Then look at the population of sailors racing who are over 50yo and have underlying conditions. 

From a PR standpoint, I'd rather take a hard pass on running a race this year than chance being the next source of an outbreak. Which headline would you prefer?
I'll just say, you do you. I, for one, will go if the race is running. that goes for Chi-MAC too.

spring fever

Wisconsin
I'll just say, you do you. I, for one, will go if the race is running. that goes for Chi-MAC too.
I have asthma and am tired of not being able to see my parents (one is super high-risk), so there's no question about it. 

The initial reopening plan for IL just rolled out as well. It will be interesting to see how quickly we get to phase 4 (gatherings of 50people, bars reopen). 

SailChiTown

Wilmette Harbor Opening & Heavy Lift

Wilmette Harbor Club 

May 5, 2020

Over the weekend, the State of Illinois issued a Summary of the New Order which included guidelines for marinas. With this new ruling in place, the harbor plans to open for the season on Friday, May 8. Unfortunately, the guidelines continued the requirement of only 2 people per boat. Hopefully, the State will revise this guideline in the near future.

Glenn McCarthy

Super Anarchist
Elmhurst, IL
Governor Fatso has been alluding to this in every 7th speech he gave, today he put it all out there:

"Here's the truth, and I don't like it any more than you do," Pritzker said. "Until we have a vaccine, or an effective treatment ... the option of returning to normalcy doesn't exist. We have to figure out how to live with COVID-19 until it can be vanquished."

QLite

Chicago, IL
Glenn, I'm disappointed with your demeaning reference to our governor!  Approve or disapprove of his handling of this crisis but this reference is below you!

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
Wilmette Harbor Opening & Heavy Lift

Wilmette Harbor Club 

May 5, 2020

Over the weekend, the State of Illinois issued a Summary of the New Order which included guidelines for marinas. With this new ruling in place, the harbor plans to open for the season on Friday, May 8. Unfortunately, the guidelines continued the requirement of only 2 people per boat. Hopefully, the State will revise this guideline in the near future.
The two per boat is a little odd, as according to the Q&A it even applies to people in the same household

https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/s/article/Am-I-allowed-to-use-my-boat-now-that-the-weather-is-getting-nicer

I'm guessing this is to make it easier to monitor, but its going to be weird that I can only take my boys out one at a time... oh well more fun sailing than not sailing.

JoeO

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Governor Fatso has been alluding to this in every 7th speech he gave, today he put it all out there:

"Here's the truth, and I don't like it any more than you do," Pritzker said. "Until we have a vaccine, or an effective treatment ... the option of returning to normalcy doesn't exist. We have to figure out how to live with COVID-19 until it can be vanquished."
That's no different than what every reputable medical/health expert has been saying. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2020/04/17/exp-tsr-todd-getting-back-to-new-normal.cnn

https://abc7chicago.com/coronavirus-illinosi-illinois-lockdown-in-il/6151243/

You're not going to see regatta parties under tents or elbow-to-elbow scenes at the Pink Pony this year - period. Maybe not even next year. While some social distancing regulations may be RELAXED over the coming months, they won't be REMOVED for far longer than that.

Grinder

Super Anarchist
Chicago, IL

Anarchist
Chicago
Fuck you.  Is that better?  Didn't know this was YOUR thread!
He did start it.  See:  image.png

And actually it goes back even farther than 2011 I am pretty sure.  I think there was a Chicago thread he started WAY, WAY back at the beginning of time that somehow got nuked.  This one was started when that happened.

Glenn McCarthy

Super Anarchist
Elmhurst, IL
Glenn, I'm disappointed with your demeaning reference to our governor!  Approve or disapprove of his handling of this crisis but this reference is below you!
Hey, the neighborhood in my yute, kids called me "Fat Man" for many years.  I can relate!

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeO

Super Anarchist
Chicago
We might need a new name for this thread, as AREA III was put to pasture a few years ago  :)
Yeah but "CASRA" doesn't resonate with us old farts!

Seriously tho.. as 40048 points out, this thread, under one guise or another,  started by JC,  goes back some ways beyond 2011... it is easily 10+ years old (14? 15?) , and I have no doubt it is the longest running active thread on SA. Not sure if that is something to be proud of or ashamed of!   We'll leave that to the cyber-anthropologists...

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any inside intel on how I can get my mast stepped right now (50' and several hundred pounds)? Usually would do it at JPYC or CCYC - not currently an option. I'm giving up my Westrec slip to go to Indiana due to "the current environment" but the Hammond crane is apparently permanently out of commission due to water height. Not allowed to bring the boat in with mast on the deck. Crowleys and Skyway not operating. Considering motoring the 50 mile round trip to Michigan City...  

Latest posts