Chicago<>Port Huron Super Mac History?

Glenn McCarthy

Super Anarchist
Elmhurst, IL
Do we need batches?

CYC.jpg

And for the 2000 race (CYC's 125th anniversary), I handled the press releases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huggy Bear Brown

Anarchist
For Pete's sake. Now I find a (link below )reference to the inaugural Chicago to Sarnia race for 1977! WTH? So maybe there was a 77, 79, 81, 83, 85, 87 &amp; 89 Sarnia Race? Somehow only 87 was documented as a Super Mac.

And to further confuse the issue, I spoke to owner if the Peterson 34 Cadence, winner of the 1981 Sarnia Race (not recorded as a Super Mac?) - and he was recognized at the CYC Mac Awards in the Fall of 1981. I'm so confused...

https://books.google.com/books?id=pi2nqBeDRKgC&amp;pg=RA4-PA21&amp;lpg=RA4-PA21&amp;dq=chicago+yacht+club+sarnia+race&amp;source=bl&amp;ots=iGsHAq74tz&amp;sig=ao1rbxK-brK_AsaXH7ZuikF-XEA&amp;hl=en&amp;sa=X&amp;ved=0CCUQ6AEwBWoVChMIyeixlIeHyQIVylY-Ch1OywR5#v=onepage&amp;q=chicago%20yacht%20club%20sarnia%20race&amp;f=false
Thanks for doing the research MidPack....trip down memory lane. I did the '75 race on a Standfast (Standstill) 40 out of Milwaukee. I remember getting nailed with a bitch of a squall the night we finished in Chicago. The '77 race to Sarnia also makes sense as I remember being becalmed after passing through the straights heading down Lake Huron. I have a vague recollection of a course race hosted by Sarnia YC after the Mac....I thought it was by invitation or there was some qualification process. Ring a bell?

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
For Pete's sake. Now I find a (link below )reference to the inaugural Chicago to Sarnia race for 1977! WTH? So maybe there was a 77, 79, 81, 83, 85, 87 &amp; 89 Sarnia Race? Somehow only 87 was documented as a Super Mac.

And to further confuse the issue, I spoke to owner if the Peterson 34 Cadence, winner of the 1981 Sarnia Race (not recorded as a Super Mac?) - and he was recognized at the CYC Mac Awards in the Fall of 1981. I'm so confused...

https://books.google.com/books?id=pi2nqBeDRKgC&amp;pg=RA4-PA21&amp;lpg=RA4-PA21&amp;dq=chicago+yacht+club+sarnia+race&amp;source=bl&amp;ots=iGsHAq74tz&amp;sig=ao1rbxK-brK_AsaXH7ZuikF-XEA&amp;hl=en&amp;sa=X&amp;ved=0CCUQ6AEwBWoVChMIyeixlIeHyQIVylY-Ch1OywR5#v=onepage&amp;q=chicago%20yacht%20club%20sarnia%20race&amp;f=false
Thanks for doing the research MidPack....trip down memory lane. I did the '75 race on a Standfast (Standstill) 40 out of Milwaukee. I remember getting nailed with a bitch of a squall the night we finished in Chicago. The '77 race to Sarnia also makes sense as I remember being becalmed after passing through the straights heading down Lake Huron. I have a vague recollection of a course race hosted by Sarnia YC after the Mac....I thought it was by invitation or there was some qualification process. Ring a bell?
I do remember reading about some buoy races after a Chicago-Sarnia race in one of the archived articles I read, but I don't remember what year. Maybe when I hear from my Sarnia YC contact, I'll know more. Cheers

Do we need batches?

attachicon.gif
CYC.jpg

And for the 2000 race (CYC's 125th anniversary), I handled the press releases.
I got a Super Mac shirt, or bought one I should say...

MR.CLEAN

Not here
The Nice Pair team shirts (thanks, DryArmour) from 2009 said "500 miles of freshwater hell" on the back, and it was so, so apt for that year's race.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
The Nice Pair team shirts (thanks, DryArmour) from 2009 said "500 miles of freshwater hell" on the back, and it was so, so apt for that year's race.
We got very lucky in 2015, a relatively quick race. Finished with food and beer to spare :)

SM Shirt.jpg

Bryanjb

Super Anarchist
Various
Sailed the 75 version, decided sailing right past a perfectly good bar didn't make much sense. Have declined sailing subsequent Super Macs.

A3A

I've done 3, 2 east to west in '75 &amp; 2000 and one west to east in '77. The Scaramouche that won in '75 would have been the 54' Frers that owned the lakes in those days. I seem to recall it was endless upwind the length of both lakes. '77 was pretty light and 2000 started and finished in good breeze but was pretty light through the Straits.

The Andrews 70 Turbo "Magnitude" owned by Doug Baker came in from Cali for the 2000 race from Detroit / Bayview / Sarnia to Chicago and hold the elapsed time record. I don't recall the time, but the final 100 miles aboard here was one of the finest nights of sailing I've ever experienced. Full moon, crystal clear skies and 25 knots out of the North. A4 running at 165 TWA and steady high teens boatspeed aimed right at the Hancock light seen from off Milwaukee. Crack of dawn finish off Belmont.

Huggy Bear Brown

Anarchist
Sailed the 75 version, decided sailing right past a perfectly good bar didn't make much sense. Have declined sailing subsequent Super Macs.
That's funny.... I remember the same thought as I just turned 18 the month before (legal age at the time) and passing the Pink Pony just didn't seem right.....

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
The Andrews 70 Turbo "Magnitude" owned by Doug Baker came in from Cali for the 2000 race from Detroit / Bayview / Sarnia to Chicago and hold the elapsed time record. I don't recall the time, but the final 100 miles aboard here was one of the finest nights of sailing I've ever experienced. Full moon, crystal clear skies and 25 knots out of the North. A4 running at 165 TWA and steady high teens boatspeed aimed right at the Hancock light seen from off Milwaukee. Crack of dawn finish off Belmont.
Super Mac first to finish results are even harder to find (for me at least). Best I can tell piecing times together from Scuttlebutt, BYC website, etc.:

• 2000 Millennium 600 Doug Baker's Magnitude 61:25:02 from Port Huron to Chicago. Sat 2:00pm to Tue 3:25:02am all CST. Outright elapsed record?
  • 2015 Super Mac Peter &amp; Christopher Thornton il Mostro 64:56:35 from Chicago to Port Huron. Sat 2:20pm to Tue 7:16:35am all CST. West to east elapsed record?

constantc

Cadence (Petersen 34) was the ’81 winner. But determination wasn’t finalized till that fall, hence the "tentatively declared" status of the results. The sailing instructions specifying the course after the Chicago Mac finish had an error, and no one caught it till the race was under way.

The intention was that the fleet was to stay inside of the easterly approach buoys at Mac Island… by taking the SE approach buoy to stb (i.e. stay in the shipping channel). But the typo in sailing instructions flagged the NE buoy instead of the SE buoy, which sent the fleet (as the sailing instructions were written) between the northern most approach buoy and the beach in front of Mission Point.

So as the fleet tied up in Port Huron, the question of the hour was “what side of the buoy did you go by”. Some of the fleet missed the typo, some assumed the sailing instructions were in error and proceeded through the middle of the channel, but some boats hardened up (took kites down), tacked to the north, and rounded the buoy per the sailing instructions. Needless to say, the boats that followed the sailing instructions and took the extra time to go around the buoy wanted to toss/penalize the boats that stayed in the channel and took the buoy to port.

One the subsequent protests was directed at the race committee for having sailing instructions that sent the fleet into “hazardous” waters (I think the chart was showing 10-12 ft of water inside of the can). The CYC RC was able to use that protest to “save” the race. In the weeks following the race they surveyed all the participants, asking which way they rounded the buoy, and asked for an estimation from each of the boats how much extra time they would have (or did) take to round the buoy per the sailing instructions. They then went back to the finish times and adjusted the time for each boat based on the course that boat had declared they sailed past the island. We were told that the final determination and corrections were not finalized till the afternoon of the Mac awards dinner, where the prizes for the Sarnia race were passed out along with the Chic Mac awards.

The sailing instructions in 1983 had remedied a repeat of the situation by simply specifying the course as leaving Bois Blanc, Middle Island, and Thunder Island to stb. Much to be said for keeping things “simple”.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Last update FWIW:

There have been 10 known “Super Mac” type races starting in Chicago IL (or Port Huron MI) and finishing in Port Huron or Sarnia ONT (or Chicago).

At present, the CYC website only acknowledges 4 races - 1975, 1987, 2000 &amp; 2015 among Clark-DeRoy Trophy ** winners, and only 3 boat/owners names appear engraved on the trophy:

• The winner of the 1st then known as “Centennial Race” in 1975, commemorating CYC’s 100th Anniversary, was Chuck Kirsch’s Frers 54 Scaramouche. Left blank on the Clark-DeRoy "List of Winners?"
  • The winner of the 2nd then known as “Chicago-Sarnia” race in 1987 was Tom Giesler’s J/35 Double Digits in IMS, and Terry Reagan’s Van Dam/Nelson-Marek 36 Moody Blue in IOR. Their names appear on an individual brass plaque at the bottom of the trophy.
  • The winners of the 3rd then known as “Millennium 600/Super Mac” race in 2000, commemorating CYC’s 125th Anniversary, were Tom Neill’s GL70 Nitemare in IMS and Rich Stearns/Lynn A. Williams, Jr’s Cal 40 Glider in PHRF. Their names appear on an individual brass plaque at the bottom of the trophy.The winner of the 4th “Super Mac” race in 2009 was Philip D. O’Neil III’s Nelson-Marek 46 Natalie J. For reasons unknown, they are not the recorded 2009 Clark-DeRoy trophy winners.

[*]The winner of the 5th “Super Mac” race in 2015, commemorating BYC’s 100th Anniversary, was Dr. Michael Leland’s Najad 332 Hope. His name appears on an individual brass plaque at the bottom of the trophy.

Though not recorded at CYC for whatever reason, there were also Chicago-Sarnia races in 1977, 1981, 1983, 1985 &amp; 1989 – though the 1987 edition does appear in CYC records (see above).

• The winner of the inaugural 1977 Chicago-Sarnia race was E. Russell “Dutch” Schmidt’s C&amp;C 62 Sassy.
  • The winner of the 1981 Chicago-Sarnia race was Ted Reese’s Peterson 34 Cadence.
  • Other winners are unknown at present.
  • 1989 was a very slow Race to Mackinac, and there is one report that there were no Chicago-Sarnia finishers in 1989.
  • The biannual frequency for the Chicago-Sarnia race would suggest there would have been a 1979 race as well, though I’ve found no reference to a race that year.

bowclimber

Michigan
MidPack,

Thanks. Really very interesting. I compiled all of this for my dad, an old sailor from the early PHYC days. He did a least one of the early races. I did the race this year.

IslandGoat2010

Anarchist
I began keel boat racing in the late 70s. I had always heard the race referred to as "The Sarnia Race". And there

were jokes about it being confused with Sardinia. At the time it was scheduled every other year, when the Chicago to

Mac Race was before the Port Huron to Mac Race. Also at the time there were efforts to coordinate with the then just

beginning Trans Superior Race. So you could do the Chi-Mac/Sarnia race, then the following week race the Port

Huron-Mac and then the week after that race the Trans-Superior which they would start in Sault St. Marie and go to

Duluth, the reverse of their normal race.

I don't remember hearing the race being called the "Super Mac" until 2000 or so. The year I did the race, which I am

pretty sure now was 1983, in addition to the Peterson 34 I was on (pretty sure it was called Rebound-chartered by a guy

named Barry Golan), other boats included the Olson 30, a Farr 1 Tonner/40 footer out of Detroit Epee (I think this was

owned by Burkhardt), and a new NY 36 (I remember it had a white spinnaker with 3 or four colored horizontal bands in

the middle of not he usual red, blue, green colors but new for the time colors like yellow, orange, etc). It got light towards

the finish and Epee and the NY36 had fractional kites and with our masthead kite we were catching them.

Some of the "old guys" are still around who may remember more than this. Rich Stearns is at Stearns Boating in Chicago.

Bruce Rosenzweig (his father along with Art Wong - Art is still alive- Howard Jeske and others owned the molds to the

Peterson 34) at Saiboat Sales Co in Chicago (also Bruce's older brother Larry might have been Mac Chair at CYC back then),

and in addition to Peace Frog and his family of sailmakers, people like Perry Lewis at North, the Considines at UK, might have

some details to help you fill things in. And probably the oldest and most experienced of the bunch, Lindy Thomas is still around,

and very approachable. Some of the other names you might try: Scott Graham - the Graham of Graham and Schlageter (last I

knew he was on the East Coast), Bill Schanen at Sailing Magazine (the elder probably best reached at Port Publications), Trey Ritter

(I think Trey's father was a Mac Chair back then).

I know there must be others, but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Good luck running all of this down.
This exactly as I recall.

I always heard it referred to as the "Chicago-Sarnia International Yacht Race."

Friends on NANA discussed and had medallions on the bulkheads for 1971, 1973 as well as 1975 and 1979. They discussed the special circumstances due to the CYC100th.

Friends out of MBYC did those races as well.

Cadence won one year, Heritage in 1981.

I did a fair amount of rum tasting with the twins on Double Digits (Tom and Terry) with extensive discussions of the 87 race.

After the big drift in 1989 it died, was resurrected, and run in reverse as the Super Mac in 2000.

Just had to add this from our club newsletter. Dave is a great guy who credits the

success to one of our founding members, Ned Lockwood, who passed earlier this year.

"Congratulations to the crew of Liberty, owned by

Dave &amp; Sherry Phelps,for finishing first in section in

both races to Mackinac Island! This is quite the feat

and represents nearly 4 days on the water between both

races ... excluding delivery times of course. Even more

interesting is the crew composition for the Bayview race (Port Huron);

5 couples crewed the boat to victory

on the traditional Cove Island Course ... and all 5

couples are still together and talking to one another.

Well done, Liberty!"

From GTYC Waterlines - August 2015

http://gtyc.org/Resources/Documents/newsletters/2015/GTYC%20Waterlines%20Aug15%20POST.pdf

bycliberty.jpg

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
This exactly as I recall.

I always heard it referred to as the "Chicago-Sarnia International Yacht Race."

Friends on NANA discussed and had medallions on the bulkheads for 1971, 1973 as well as 1975 and 1979. They discussed the special circumstances due to the CYC100th.

Friends out of MBYC did those races as well.

Cadence won one year, Heritage in 1981.

I did a fair amount of rum tasting with the twins on Double Digits (Tom and Terry) with extensive discussions of the 87 race.

After the big drift in 1989 it died, was resurrected, and run in reverse as the Super Mac in 2000.
Interesting. I am still working on this, presently with libraries in Detroit, Port Huron and Sarnia. I think I've exhausted all online newspaper-magazine archive sources.
When I started this thread I knew about 4 Chicago&lt;&gt;Port Huron/Sarnia races and 2 winners. Thanks to running down all the great leads here I have confirmation of 10 races with various names, and 8 winners.

Comparing notes:

- I have also found several references to the "Chicago-Sarnia International Yacht Race," thanks for helping confirm.

- I have found multiple references to Chicago-Sarnia races in 1977, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1987 and 1989. 1979 would follow the biannual, but I haven't found anything confirming yet.

- I have a newspaper article referring to 1977 as the "inaugural" Chicago-Sarnia, 1971 and 1973 would be new info, I will try to confirm.

- 1975 was the "Centennial Race" referring to CYC's 100th, started at Port Huron and finishing in Chicago, not a Sarnia Race. I was under the impression that was the first 500nm-ish race on Lake Michigan and Huron.

- Cadence won 1981, found documentation and spoke with the owner.

What I've documented since my last summary post #50 above.

- Heritage won the 1983 Chicago-Sarnia, along with the Chicago Mac and the Port Huron Mac!

- Heritage won the 1985 Chicago Mac, but I've yet to find Sarnia race results, still trying.

- Another poster said he thought there were no finishers in 1989 and that killed the Chicago-Sarnia 'franchise.' I have confirmed the 1989 Chicago Mac was a drifter with many dropping out before reaching Mackinac, so it stands to reason there might have been no boats finishing a 1989 Chicago-Sarnia.

ftbinc

Chciago
1985 was a fast Chicago to Sarnia race. We finished around 7-8:00 PM on Tuesday in an NM45 Limit Up 32542, owned at the time by Marshall Wright - ColYC. I believe we were 4th in the section. Other boats that raced that year: Heritage, FUJIMO 2; Stars and Stripes, Magic (Who had some customs trouble.) Several people ended up in the hospital from having too much fun in Port Huron. (We had two hospitalized.)

The race was downwind to just about the bridge (3/4 OZ spin and blooper until the reef) when a quick rain storm came through. We were close reaching as we finished at MAC and re-set the spin and blooper down Lake Huron. Finished, checked in at SYC, without docking then continued to the river where the drinking commenced. I'm sure I have a rag somewhere that has the race on it...

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
1985 was a fast Chicago to Sarnia race. We finished around 7-8:00 PM on Tuesday in an NM45 Limit Up 32542, owned at the time by Marshall Wright - ColYC. I believe we were 4th in the section. Other boats that raced that year: Heritage, FUJIMO 2; Stars and Stripes, Magic (Who had some customs trouble.) Several people ended up in the hospital from having too much fun in Port Huron. (We had two hospitalized.)

The race was downwind to just about the bridge (3/4 OZ spin and blooper until the reef) when a quick rain storm came through. We were close reaching as we finished at MAC and re-set the spin and blooper down Lake Huron. Finished, checked in at SYC, without docking then continued to the river where the drinking commenced. I'm sure I have a rag somewhere that has the race on it...
I'd be most grateful if you could provide any documentation on the overall winner corrected time for the 1985 Chicago-Sarnia race. I think I have the 1983 (Heritage, but first-to-finish or corrected?) &amp; 1989 (no finishers) results, but not certain.

garyedelman

Anarchist
While it isn't "proof", I remember standing on the dock at Mackinaw after the '83 Port Huron Race

with Doug Sharp as Northern Light was finishing. A huge cheer went up on Heritage, and a broom

was raised on Heritage indicated a "sweep" of all three races (Mac, Sarnia &amp; Port Huron). And then

the partying began in earnest.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
While it isn't "proof", I remember standing on the dock at Mackinaw after the '83 Port Huron Race

with Doug Sharp as Northern Light was finishing. A huge cheer went up on Heritage, and a broom

was raised on Heritage indicated a "sweep" of all three races (Mac, Sarnia &amp; Port Huron). And then

the partying began in earnest.
I hope that means they won the 83 Chicago-Sarnia overall corrected believe me. I found an archived UPI article stating Heritage won all three. But was that first-to-finish or corrected overall (maybe both)? The latter is what I am searching for and the article I found doesn't give any indication.
http://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/07/26/The-63-foot-sloop-Heritage-from-Chicago-finished-first-in/9074428040000/

Latest posts