Chinese electric outboard?

allweather

baltic
Not with that exact model, no. What is your intended use again?
(you are aware of the wacky horsepower labels when it comes to electrics, right? Aka the linked motor is rated for 2,2kW,)

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Might want to just get a trolling motor. Note the boat on a semi-plane in the photo is NOT using that motor.

And yes, you'll need batteries, 4 12v in serial, to get power to it. 

Oh, and that little propellor looks totally wrong, but I supposed it's matched to the 3000 rpm of the motor. A lower revving motor and larger propeller (torqueedo style) would be much more efficient. 

IStream

Super Anarchist
If you can live with the power limitations of the Electric Paddle, it's an excellent unit from a well-run company. I know several people with them (including folks on SA) who like them a lot.

allweather

baltic
Does anybody just row their dinghies anymore? Do we need more electric crap?
Probably depends on distance, regular trips and some other stuff. But yes, I am a fan of going manual for a lot of stuff. (if it is still practical, thinking on adding electric winches for older people. Not that some of the older folks in my club can't winch up a sail, then I'd tell them to get a smaller boat, but to make outings a bit more easier)

EP Carry looks like a nice option depending on distance and frequency of trips since it is already a complete system that is easy to remove.
Otherwise I'd also argue for a basic trolling motor, especially if no planning is needed, and a separate battery.(a fairly good selection exists nowadays) Though handling the battery as an external part can take some thinking to make sure it fits well into the boat.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Does anybody just row their dinghies anymore? Do we need more electric crap?
Some of us regularly have to cram 5 people and two dogs plus whatever crap we're carrying into the dinghy, in which case it can be hard to find room to swing an outboard's tiller handle, much less sweep a couple of oars...

eliboat

Super Anarchist
Really just look like a trolling motor.  As far as batteries goes, I would build an LFP pack for it.   

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
I have the ep carry on a 9 ft soft bottom avon and have been happy with the set up. I am not an electrician or engineer so a ready to go plug and play option was best. I can lift the motor and batt with one hand, so climbing in and out of the dink is easy. It is a ship to shore type of device, if you want to use your dink for diving or fishing look elsewhere. The one demerit is the lack of a battery capacity monitor so you do need to keep track of run time or have a spare battery.

TBW

You could shop used.  I picked up a 7 year old Torqeedo Travel 1003 for $800 Cdn/$650USD.  The range and battery life are still good.  Got 22 miles from it in a 17 ft canoe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sidecar

Super Anarchist
Tasmania
Not with that exact model, no. What is your intended use again?
(you are aware of the wacky horsepower labels when it comes to electrics, right? Aka the linked motor is rated for 2,2kW,)

Might want to just get a trolling motor. Note the boat on a semi-plane in the photo is NOT using that motor.

And yes, you'll need batteries, 4 12v in serial, to get power to it. 

Oh, and that little propellor looks totally wrong, but I supposed it's matched to the 3000 rpm of the motor. A lower revving motor and larger propeller (torqueedo style) would be much more efficient. 
I use the 160 lb thrust model as auxiliary for my  1 ton 31 ft multihull:

https://www.trollingmotors.com.au/pages/performance

it does the job, even with the wacky propeller, but @Raz'r is right, I reckon it could do with a Torqeedo (thrust) prop. Or something like this one, which is less than half the price: https://www.mrboats.com.au/epropulsion-navy-6.0-propeller-low-pitch-3-blade-e

@allweather is right, most electric motors overstate their power relative to gas outboards. Look at the output propulsion power of mine, and divide that by 746 to get HP and compare that to the claims….. But it does the job, 5.5 knots max, cruise at 3.0 to 3.5 knots. Wind and chop can knock a lot off, hence good to look at the prop.

Batteries, don’t muck about, get some LiPo batteries, preferably 2, even if they have lower a/h each. You then have redundancy or can recharge one whilst using the other. Most have BMS built in, (as do most trolling motors). I have 2x 48v 60 a/h lithiums, never had a problem with range, but then  my boat does 3 knots in ~ 3 knots of breeze so I sail whenever I can. On and off the mooring as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
I have seen some problems with saltwater corrosion on outboards and one pod drive on the ePropulsion FB page. I've got an ePropulsion pod drive for my auxiliary power. I'm on a fresh water lake, so I'm not too concerned.

nlmasopust

I have seen some problems with saltwater corrosion on outboards and one pod drive on the ePropulsion FB page. I've got an ePropulsion pod drive for my auxiliary power. I'm on a fresh water lake, so I'm not too concerned.
I have been interested in electric pod drives for a while and had some emails back and forth with Kräutler in Austria...   definitely NOT cheap Chinese motors, so of little help to the OP, but who doesn't like a little thread drift?

He stated bluntly that running DC motors like the ePropulsion pod in saltwater is a very bad idea for electrolysis/corrosion.  Even in fresh water, you have to keep a constant watch on sacrificial anodes if in a marina in case someone has 'leaky' wiring in their boat.  The best option on my 25 foot 1.2 ton keelboat for a pod was a 5,000+ Euros 2.4kw AC drive that could survive pretty much indefinitely in the tropical waters and large marina I am in.  That is not including any batteries or chargers!   I decided my 3hp 2-stroke Yamaha was suitable for the time being after that exchange....

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
He stated bluntly that running DC motors like the ePropulsion pod in saltwater is a very bad idea for electrolysis/corrosion.  Even in fresh water, you have to keep a constant watch on sacrificial anodes if in a marina in case someone has 'leaky' wiring in their boat.
I'm in a fresh water marina. I contacted some nearby owners who have anodes/zincs, and galvanic corrosion problems seem non-existent. I plan to keep an eye on it nevertheless.