Chlorine shortages bust entitlement bubble

chester

Super Anarchist
Life don't get no better than an aboveground pool and a doublewide with some Lynyrd Skynyrd playing.
in 1982 i entered the US right around Niagra falls and drove east eventually ending up in maine.  the first bit in New York was close to the lake but what i remember was driving by property after propwrty that shared 3 characteristics:  a remarkably modest  house, a cadilac and an above ground pool.  

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Well yeah, you can find anything you want on Google.  The key is to look at many sources, not just one.  The consensus to me appeared to be a lower number, but of course I could be wrong. 
I picked the first one that came up, Ed. I hadn't given a thought or a shit to consensus ... til now, getting shamed into it, I see the error of my ways. You said it was $25, and GODDAMIT that should have been good enough for me but OH FUCK NO! Something non-consensual stirred deep in my groin ... near the loin area. I googled ... and the internet world shuddered. 

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
https://www.troublefreepool.com

Everything you need to know to make maintaining pools & spas easier and less expensive resulting in sparkling clear water; once you get your chemistry dialed in it’s a cinch to keep it there. BTW 12.5% liquid chlorine is preferred, pucks/tabs cause more problems than they solve (there’s not a shortage of liquid chlorine btw). Thank me later.

View attachment 462304
Ck back on 25 October.   Prices bump up 12.5% per manufacturer (Hasa).

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
Well yeah, you can find anything you want on Google.  The key is to look at many sources, not just one.  The consensus to me appeared to be a lower number, but of course I could be wrong. 

I don't own a Prius and since I live in Poland, my car guy just welded a short piece pf pipe in where the cat was on my car.  A new cat for my car would cost around $800.00 which probably exceeds the resale value of the car given it's advanced age.  While I would be willing to replace anything on the car, I love it, I don't want to spend that kind of money on something I can do without.  I am hoping that I can keep this car until I expire, it's going to be a close run thing as to which will go first, me or the car.  Right now I'm betting that the car will outlive me.  
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/man-crushed-to-death-by-car-while-apparently-trying-to-steal-catalytic-converter-anaheim-police/

Carma!

WhoaTed

Antichrist
Holland, MI
We've had the pool for 3 seasons now and the tabs haven't been a problem.  The water is always sparkling clear and clean.  If things change, I'll look into the liquid chlorine.  I haven't seen any for sale here though.  You can't even find liquid chlorine bleach in the supermarket, I'm not sure why.  
It’s how tabs/pucks affect the balance of your chemistry that’s the issue (I shouldn’t have said “problem”, my bad). Alkalinity, pH, calcium hardness & cyanuric acid levels are all affected over time (some weekly) by chlorine tab/puck use, especially dichlor but trichlor does also, just slower. Then add another chemical to get one reading back where it should be, which affects something else…more chemical for that, and so on…the pool stores and chemical industry thrive on sales to folks chasing pool chemistry balance. I’ve only put liquid chlorine in since late May after lowering the pH with muriatic acid at opening (everything else was still in balance from last year). A gallon of chlorine every third day or so (depending on how much the pool is used) is all it takes to keep our 35,000 gal. pool sanitized and looking great. Don’t have to shock unless something nasty happens (dead rabbits/mice/frogs/etc). Been using the advice at that website for 14 years after being a regular at the pool store for the first 4 years after we moved here. Haven’t been in a pool store in several years, and only then to buy a new skimmer net.

Btw, lots of really smart “pool boys” use that website, makes their jobs so much easier and customer’s pools looking fantastic with much less work and $$$. Also a number of chemical engineers and other pros that know their shit. No PA forum though (yet).

Last edited by a moderator:

WhoaTed

Antichrist
Holland, MI
Ck back on 25 October.   Prices bump up 12.5% per manufacturer (Hasa).
Fortunately I just bought enough for the rest of the year and closing (last of October coincidentally). This year hasn’t been a problem, we’ll see what next year brings.

Could buy several cases for next year but liquid chlorine shelf life isn’t great even when stored cool and dark.

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Fortunately I just bought enough for the rest of the year and closing (last of October coincidentally). This year hasn’t been a problem, we’ll see what next year brings.

Could buy several cases for next year but liquid chlorine shelf life isn’t great even when stored cool and dark.
CMP Powerclean…..throwing these in as fast as we can get them.   Best deal out there and you can clean cell in ten minutes with a paint stick.  Banger.  

Liquid chlorine all summer? Watch acid prices go sky high.   Too much pH hassle with liquid and then there’s that cloud of whatever they use in making it.  Salt sys will need acid too but the chlorine is way cleaner.

0302DAA4-5686-4994-B70C-F4711BA2A185.jpeg

WhoaTed

Antichrist
Holland, MI
CMP Powerclean…..throwing these in as fast as we can get them.   Best deal out there and you can clean cell in ten minutes with a paint stick.  Banger.  

Liquid chlorine all summer? Watch acid prices go sky high.   Too much pH hassle with liquid and then there’s that cloud of whatever they use in making it.  Salt sys will need acid too but the chlorine is way cleaner.

View attachment 462345
Huh? Liquid chlorine is anywhere from 5% to 12.5% sodium hypochlorite and salt water (I use the 12.5). It doesn’t affect pH; as mentioned in my previous post I added muriatic acid after opening in May (5 quarts 20deg. baume) to bring the pH down after winter snowmelt/opening water addition caused it to creep up, very common. Nothing else added since excepting chlorine, that’s it. And the liquid chlorine from sources I’ve used haven’t ever been “cloudy”, the water is absolutely clear where it’s been poured, you can’t even tell it’s been added. Hassle? Nope, easy as can be. Everyone needs to do what they’re comfortable with, just throwing another option out there. “Trouble Free Pool” has proven to be exactly that, works great for me and I’m as cynical as they come.

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
Huh? Liquid chlorine is anywhere from 5% to 12.5% sodium hypochlorite and salt water (I use the 12.5). It doesn’t affect pH; as mentioned in my previous post I added muriatic acid after opening in May (5 quarts 20deg. baume) to bring the pH down after winter snowmelt/opening water addition caused it to creep up, very common. Nothing else added since excepting chlorine, that’s it. And the liquid chlorine from sources I’ve used haven’t ever been “cloudy”, the water is absolutely clear where it’s been poured, you can’t even tell it’s been added. Hassle? Nope, easy as can be. Everyone needs to do what they’re comfortable with, just throwing another option out there. “Trouble Free Pool” has proven to be exactly that, works great for me and I’m as cynical as they come.
How much do you use again?   Some pools look great - better than tabs - and others with heavy use/ hot weather and 88 degs heated water look sketch with less than   6-8 gallons a week.  No way will I use that much but more than a few guys are doing just that.

How hard is the fill water there?   Around here it’s hard and typically 7.8 - 8.0 in north county and even harder in south county.  North county gets 77% water from deep ground wells and reclaimed - 23% from Colorado River.   South County gets 90% from the river and it can be a hassle to manage.

When Hasa was falling behind on their standard 12% blend  the wholesalers began selling 1O% disposables - higher priced than Hasa to boot.   It’s cheap quality & waste of money.

We test diff brands and when it’s busy the quality/% chlorine varies.  The market is wide open out here for hustlers.

I shot chlorine gas for 5 years.  The best way to go - 25 cents/pool per week.   It’s powerful but mostly regulated out these days. I wouldn’t be surprised if some guys in the Inland Empire/desert areas are getting the tanks out and shopping their services to pool service outfits.  One truck with six 40# tanks could do a weeks worth (80-100 pools)  in 3 days.   Pool service companies save time/money if their customers are ok with it.    It works best with two strong guys who can lug the tanks in/out truck fast.   It’s a workout.

Code 2

Anarchist
To be clear.. I am sure the ocean is dirty as well, but its a little more natural and my preference. 

When I was a kid I rode some other kids bike off the high dive (maybe 15' ?) into the pool and got kicked out.  My experience with pools is challenging.

Figment

Super Anarchist
high and dry

Salt water systems are the only sure economic option for the next few years, assuming if plants even get rebuilt/come on line.

We are experiencing storages of salt systems now.  I believe builders and small retailers are hording the units in face of what the near-term future looks like for dry/liquid chlorine.   I have to drive 120 miles tomm to get the only salt unit I could source locally.

I just replaced my Hayward system.    My pool guy basically said that his wholesale-discount was worthless these days, he can't get them any cheaper or faster than I can on the internet/retail market.  

It took a week to arrive (because I bought from local brick-and-mortar) and 20 minutes to install and holy crap I wish I had done that a year earlier.   The old unit had evidently been limping-along at about 1/3 strength for the past couple of years before finally crapping-out altogether.

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
i heard about the chlorine supply shortage in April when we we about to open the pool.  If ya'll had a spouse that lives and dies by the pool , then you'd all have been fine. as she bought a years supply worth at last year's prices before the cost went up....10 boxe with 24 1 lb packages....$800   same 10 boxes in july would have been $1300