Choosing the right performance cruising cat for Uhuru.

Agility

Boulder, CO
I am a Chris White fan but this is 100% consistent with my experience. The theory ain’t the reality AFAIK.
With the greatest respect to the designer, I sailed next to a mastfoil cat several times. It is a gorgeous boat and maybe the operators didn't know how to maximize the system but it was painfully slow. I'm sure in steady 20+ kt. wind it would be a different story but in lighter air it just wasn't happening. In a really bad blow I might be worried about the masts too. If they failed to weathercock that could be a real problem, they are big!
No need to weathercock when sailing. They aren’t that big. At the dock, they spin easily if you take off the tension.

Last edited:

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
Agility, note the, "if" in your statement. If they don't rotate for any one of a million reasons and it gets windy then they are most certainly big enough to cause trouble.

Agility, note the, "if" in your statement. If they don't rotate for any one of a million reasons and it gets windy then they are most certainly big enough to cause trouble.
You would have the same problems if your mainsail and halyard got jammed with the sail up and it gets windy......and that would be at least 10,000x more likely than not being able to disconnect the the MF

I am trying to think of 1 way the MF would fail to disconnect. Never mind the other 999,999.
It is at elbow or chest level in the cockpit. What would break? The electric motor, the gear or the chain? How is that not immediately easy to dis connect? Certainly a lot easier than the luff tape or a batten end caught in the mast track. If you were the kid who could not put the chain back on your own bike, then you probably should not be blue water sailing :) Just jestin'

Last edited:

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
No need to weathercock when sailing. They aren’t that big. At the dock, they spin easily if you take off the tension.
Thanks for contributing real-world experience! Do you (or anyone else) have insight into what might have happened during the failure someone alluded to a few posts back? From memory it allegedly occurred at the dock while unattended.

MF very appealing for this family sailor for the reasons stated above - I'm more than happy to give up some light air performance, especially if it can be gotten back with a code zero or similar if I'm in the mood to pull on more strings. I hope it catches on. I can't afford $1.2m for the MF 49 in BC but it looks perfect.

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
The situation I had in mind goes more like this: you are up skiing in the Alps for the week. Down where you keep your boat it's been blowing 30-40 kts for 3 or 4 days with bigger gusts and lots of shifts. Your wing masts were rotating beautifully for the first 77.5 hours until a halyard chafed through on your neighbor's boat and a piece got lodged in your rotating mechanism. Now that big mast just became a very powerful sail. Of course similar baddies can happen to any system. I was just pondering it cuz it's been blowing like that here for several days, shaking my windows 24/7, making me think dark thoughts about everything that can break.

Dogfish

Weather cocking sounds great in theory but in a storm the mast can become pretty active as there are constant shifts in the gusts. Mine is nothing so radical as the mastfoil but I lock it off. Otherwise not only is the boat sailing around a bit but the mast is causing even more complications.

us7070

Super Anarchist
Weather cocking sounds great in theory but in a storm the mast can become pretty active as there are constant shifts in the gusts. Mine is nothing so radical as the mastfoil but I lock it off. Otherwise not only is the boat sailing around a bit but the mast is causing even more complications.
i was on a cat where the rotating mast became uncontrolled for a while; kind of scary...

Dogfish

wild honey mooring_sm (2).jpg

No, her she is.

Dogfish

I will try and dig some out. 7.3m beam, not weighed her but between 4.5t to 5.0t goes up to 6t loaded for cruising maybe more if I am not careful ! Mast is 17m working sa 100m 2. 2x9.9 outboards you can see them on the rear beam just go up and down. Daggerboards come out of the fore hatches and there is a beam shelf so don't need to be so long. Strickly a simple cruising boat.

Dogfish

Daggerboards come out of the fore hatches?
Thats nice and light, I’m thinking more along the lines of ‘strickly a very fast simple cruising boat’ :unsure:
Bit hard to explain, they live in the hull but can be canted forward so you can remove them through the hatch if you need to. We tend to reef early !