Chris White the new Atlantic 72 and follow-up of the capsized Atlantic 57 Leopard

Hi multihullers,
Long time we don't discuss about Chris White news, just today I watched this YouTube video Atlantic 72 and 57

Very interesting
The big cat is just a dream
And i didn't know that after capsize the Atlantic 57 was afloat for 7 months and put on a sale and Chris White placed a bid and got his boat to renew and restore

mpenman

Pompano Beach
What makes it best, in your opinion?
The main things are:
- Very easily managed sail plan, especially the main. Simple slab reefing with a pinhead main. There are some cruising advantages of the pinhead vs a square top.
- Very good boat speed even when conservatively reefed.
- Forward cockpit with no need to exit the cockpit for any reason really.
- Carry two dinghies so you never get in an argument about when the dinghy is gonna be back ;).
- Built in the US by ACC, whom I believe to be some of the very best crafts people in the world at their trade.
- Boat is very strong, very light (43k lbs loaded for cruising) and very simple.

I sail the 72, fire away with questions.
I'd argue it's the best cruising boat available for two people:).
first of all, congratulation for the astonishing boat, really fantastic from all point of View!

Thank you for your availibility to answer questions, that are many on my side.
Let's start with this:
since few years Chris White is designing boat without mainsail, and he has many arguments to support his choice. At the moment i have no idea of the performance loss of this design compared with traditional mainsail.
Were you condisering a design with MastFoil®, do you have any experience with this rigging and a possibile comparison with the traditional rigging?

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
The main things are:

- Built in the US by ACC, whom I believe to be some of the very best crafts people in the world at their trade.
- Boat is very strong, very light (43k lbs loaded for cruising) and very simple.
Well, this made me curious so I tried, but failed, to find ACC in a simple web search. Appreciate the assist.
43K lbs ... can you guess how much of that is boat vs stores?
Have always been curious about big cats vs big monohulls. A 72 foot mono has a hull speed of about 11.4 kts and doesn't care how much crap you store inside...tortoise and hare, though, since mono won't ever see 25 kts. A big cat has to care how much crap you carry...comment? Granted, accommodations on a big cat are much nicer.

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
I've noticed that the newer monos are getting wide to the point where the interiors are actually more open, light and airy than many cats. They are also pretty fast. Their top end is not as high but their real world daily averages look pretty good and it seems like the width would also make em more comfy at anchor etc.

Wess

Super Anarchist
Well, this made me curious so I tried, but failed, to find ACC in a simple web search. Appreciate the assist.
43K lbs ... can you guess how much of that is boat vs stores?
Have always been curious about big cats vs big monohulls. A 72 foot mono has a hull speed of about 11.4 kts and doesn't care how much crap you store inside...tortoise and hare, though, since mono won't ever see 25 kts. A big cat has to care how much crap you carry...comment? Granted, accommodations on a big cat are much nicer.
:rolleyes:

Aquidneck Custom Composites in Bristol RI, I presume. They have built quite a number of very nice boats large and small.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience, mpenman
I've been curious about the Atlantics since I saw one anchored in the Caribbean that was set up for extended cruising. If you had to compare them to some of the other new offerings like Balance, Seawind, HH, etc, what would be the main pros and cons?

vokstar

Tasmania
Interesting that the designs seem to have keel and dagger board, I assume the keel is there to protect the rudder? Or is there another reason/s?

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
I read somewhere a while ago Chris W. talking about the advantage of mini keel in addition to dagger boards. Basically if you make a mistake and start bouncing off coral bottom – it is an embarrassment with mini keels, its catastrophic if all you have between you and the coral is the hull laminate schedule.

bushsailor

Anarchist
QLD Australia
I've noticed that the newer monos are getting wide to the point where the interiors are actually more open, light and airy than many cats. They are also pretty fast. Their top end is not as high but their real world daily averages look pretty good and it seems like the width would also make em more comfy at anchor etc.
I think you are correct regards to Monos getting better except that there is still no comparison at all from a comfort aspect. We sailed past a famous lagoon last week and there were 11 catamarans anchored and no monos. Why? Because cats are comfortable and people use them.

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
I'm sure you are correct, though some of the slightly older cats have more cave-like accommodations than the newer monos and are probably fairly poor in performance. I'm guessing that their relative stability at anchor also favors the cats though the ultra beamy monos might do ok in that regard as well. Either way, boats are improving! Yay! Now I just need a couple million bucks..?

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
I think you are correct regards to Monos getting better except that there is still no comparison at all from a comfort aspect. We sailed past a famous lagoon last week and there were 11 catamarans anchored and no monos. Why? Because cats are comfortable and people use them.
There's also not much difference in price point when you get to very large boats. But staterooms on monos can be much wider than the hulls on a cat, so if you like to move from the bed to a couch in the same room, you won't be doing that on a cat (unless it is a pod cat). It also usually takes more people to run a monohull unless the boat is designed for short handed sailing. And it really isn't very comfortable going to weather with the deck at 30 degrees.

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
I agree with everything you're saying except the price. A new high-end cat is quite a bit more than a similar length/quality mono. (Prove me wrong!). Probably justifiably so, given the build costs. As far as shorthanding, I think either can be designed or setup to be manageable. I need to be flayed and defenestrated for posting this on the multi forum but I've been poisoned by some YouTube vids showing some nice new monos. Sorry...

Trovão

Super Anarchist
I agree with everything you're saying except the price. A new high-end cat is quite a bit more than a similar length/quality mono. (Prove me wrong!). Probably justifiably so, given the build costs. As far as shorthanding, I think either can be designed or setup to be manageable. I need to be flayed and defenestrated for posting this on the multi forum but I've been poisoned by some YouTube vids showing some nice new monos. Sorry...
And this is your basic mistake - you're comparing apples and oranges, imho. You can't compare lenght, you should use volume instead. For the same lenght, a cat has much more internal volume/room than a mono. When you compare volume and accomodations you realize the prices are not so dissimilar...

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
Trovao, your 2 basic mistakes are assuming I have sub-simian intelligence and not being able to spell "length." Yes, obviously the total volume is much higher on a cat but the volume of each cabin and living space is actually bigger on some monos. The mono might only have 2 cabins, 2 heads and a salon but those cabins, heads and salon on the newer monos are very airy and spacious. So, if you're sailing as a couple would you rather have 2 very spacious cabins and heads or 4 cavelike cabins and heads? Obviously, the newer cats are integrating the same light and space features as the new monos, making them more attractive and liveable but again, you may get very poor performance or a very high price tag for the cat. If you're not using the second hull and it doesn't sail well what's the point?

Last edited:

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
They are terribly noisy…waves get under the counter and you can hear the waves smack on the other side of the harbour

Latest posts