Christmas Regatta

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Ben needs to get his shit together and get his ass to the start line. Every other team was able to race. The system obviously works well enough for the other teams to use so his should be no different.

weta27

Super Anarchist
The boat bottom left of the picture is the official Photo Boat, so those guys will have some really spectacular shots up shortly!
Dean Purcell, NZ Herald:

6WHHQRGAKBAFRER64MZ363GLTQ.jpg

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
This should be interesting...Ben having a serious whinge and asking for redress. He may have a point though

Last edited by a moderator:
astro said:
View attachment 415207

Doesn't matter.  Just spoofed my location and watched it on the AC website.

So much for the bullshit dalton was on about broadcasting to the masses.  He just took the money.
Broadcasting to the masses was for NZ. Not for the internationals.

Sorry your Aussie TV service sucks a dick.

May I suggest NordVPN or similar? For anyone not wanting to use TOR browser and look like a sex trafficker / drug dealer / terrorist.

Thoughts from today...

The racing started out being incredibly awkward and then got good at the end. Hopefully Ben and Co can pull their piece of shit boat together and stop blaming the supplied equipment that everyone else manages OK with.

I think AM will be the challenger, which will be great for us AC anoraks to have the NYYC back in the match (would have been better if the RYS challenge wasn't a shitshow).

The TVNZ coverage needs a lot of work, though it was day one so I'll cut them some slack. But the use of host broadcast footage which sees Ken drawing on the screen and the TVNZ people not knowing what the fuck to say, is kind of awkward. Likewise the ad break timing is terrible and please stop talking over the Race Control... If motorsports can stop talking while team radio / RC is on then surely sailing can do it too.

Roll on day two...

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Broadcasting to the masses was for NZ. Not for the internationals.

Sorry your Aussie TV service sucks a dick.

May I suggest NordVPN or similar? For anyone not wanting to use TOR browser and look like a sex trafficker / drug dealer / terrorist.
Going deep and dark just to watch the Americas Cup...! Using the TOR Browser just to watch this event will most likely get you shot by the counter terrorist unit.!

Zeusproject

Anarchist
28 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

This should be interesting...Ben having a serious whinge and asking for redress. He may have a point though

Was his steering cable supplier to blame too or Just ETNZ      Wheels already falling off 

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Was his steering cable supplier to blame too or Just ETNZ      Wheels already falling off 
Yeah good point. I think Ben over did it. If you compare Ben's comments vs Andrew Campbell's re foil cant system the thing I picked up was Andrew was saying how much time and man power they use to stay on top of the foil cant system. Perhaps Ineos have under estimated the foil cant system and haven't matched the efforts of AM? Time on the water would have given AM a better chance to manage their foil cant system perhaps? 

Zeusproject

Anarchist
Yeah good point. I think Ben over did it. If you compare Ben's comments vs Andrew Campbell's re foil cant system the thing I picked up was Andrew was saying how much time and man power they use to stay on top of the foil cant system. Perhaps Ineos have under estimated the foil cant system and haven't matched the efforts of AM? Time on the water would have given AM a better chance to manage their foil cant system perhaps? 
They all get the same package some manage it some clearly don’t.    

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
They all get the same package some manage it some clearly don’t.    
The foil arms hydraulic system is powered by a 15KW motor powered by 48V/5KwH lithium battery driving the hydraulic pump which charges the accumulator and then directly drive the 100mm bore dia./80mm piston dia. x 780mm stroke rams moving the barrel to which the arms are connected. The arms hydraulic system pressure is set at 350bar, so you can work out yourselves how much oil flow is moving the 1385-kg arm/foil from normal sailing possie to fully-up in 3 seconds. Nothing complicated at all here!!

The  "valve driver board malfunction in the FCS" and the overheated replacement board point to an electrical fault in their system. The fact that the "battery shut down completely" tends to support an electrical short-circuit in their system - the lithium battery management system includes integrated protection against overcharging, short circuit, deep discharge, polarity reversal, overheating and submersion - take your pick as to what caused the shutdown :ph34r:

The problem is not the FCS per se - I'm calling incompetence by their engineers who integrated the system.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
The foil arms hydraulic system is powered by a 15KW motor powered by 48V/5KwH lithium battery driving the hydraulic pump which charges the accumulator and then directly drive the 100mm bore dia./80mm piston dia. x 780mm stroke rams moving the barrel to which the arms are connected. The arms hydraulic system pressure is set at 350bar, so you can work out yourselves how much oil flow is moving the 1385-kg arm/foil from normal sailing possie to fully-up in 3 seconds. Nothing complicated at all here!!

The  "valve driver board malfunction in the FCS" and the overheated replacement board point to an electrical fault in their system. The fact that the "battery shut down completely" tends to support an electrical short-circuit in their system - the lithium battery management system includes integrated protection against overcharging, short circuit, deep discharge, polarity reversal, overheating and submersion - take your pick as to what caused the shutdown :ph34r:

The problem is not the FCS per se - I'm calling incompetence by their engineers who integrated the system.
Cheers for the explanation Indio. That all makes sense. Yeah I think they have under estimated the management of the foil cant system. Andrew Campbell chose his words carefully but it was a hint for Ben if he picked up on it. Don't think Ben did unfortunately. I also find it strange Ben mentioned a software update the night before? Anyone who knows anything about software updates will tell you you test them before you implement them. If the other teams seem to have control of their foil cant systems and Ineos doesn't it points to their engineers who off course aren't going to take the heat and therefore off load the blame onto the One Design System per-se

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Everyone here seems to think Luna Rossa in the lighter conditions will have the edge? Time will tell. I prefer AM over Luna Rossa because of their time on the water
I'm picking my favourite Challenger AM. Should be a great race - AM could finish tomorrow on 4 points with us on 3 and well on the way to winning the Xmas Cup and top dog in the Prada Cup, especially if ETNZ keeps beating LR like a rental donkey!