Circuit Breaker Question

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
But sometimes they blow out.  The go to for us was drilling and then setting a threaded steel insert.  I can still feel the concrete dust raining down all over me.
Fancy-Smancy.  We relied on the threaded studs and multiple redundant load paths. And lastly a 2" pin shot through round plate and the trougher's metal near the ballast and CG of the fixture. Never had one come down - even after a sharp earthquake. When I used that technique I was twice as fast as the old guys, and I didn't need a guppy. And I got to shoot all day.  ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
I'm a Large Male Mammal. Good Scot bones, especially between the ears. 

The Ramset I used was a heavy beast, and after pressing against the spring to deactivate the safety, the recoil was negligible.  And the back of the grip was a thick rubber pad. But, the last time I shot a Ramset in anger was... chit, 35-40 years ago, and I thought shooting full house .44 Mag loads was fun. Not any more...

I loved my Ramset. One boss got me a holster, low slung and strapped to my thigh like Han Solo's. I was a Ramsettin' Fool. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Although I love working with my hands and making “stuff”, I wouldn’t want to do it for a living. Seems like that introduces a component of working for people that are not very pleasant in order to make a buck and the pace necessary to maintain sufficient volume to make a living that detracts from the enjoyment of making and fixing stuff. 
Yep, this. I'd much rather sit on my arse and write computer code to make money than anything in the trades, yet I really like getting my hands dirty & building stuff.

I'm living in the 3rd house that I personally built and sail the 12m boat that I built in the big shed that I built first to have the space undercover to build the boat.

But - I only do things at one pace. Mine. And sometimes not even that.

FKT

mikewof

mikewof
Don't know how you didn't destroy your wrist.  The kickback on those things is substantial.  I've got a Hilti gun that I rarely use.  Last time I did I thought my wrist snapped.  But I've got 70 year old bones now, ...and arthritis.
The Hilti DX460 MX? Isn't she supposed to handle recoil better than the Simpson or the P3500?

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
The Hilti DX460 MX?  Isn't she supposed to handle recoil better than the Simpson or the P3500?
I've got the DX36M.  Maybe I can let her try mine.  They didn't give a shit about kickback back then.

When the Hilti rep came on the jobs to replenish our stock, they would "encourage" us to stock up by throwing in a hammer drill or PA gun.  All I knew is they were expensive but when I heard the hardware guy quote her, I thought that was cheap.  HD sells the DX 5 for $1600.

working on a framing job in Upper LaJolla

another guy takes a RamSet w 16penny (or so) Pin

presses it up next to a stud to unlock and squeeze off a round "down the hill"

It happened to go through a Glass Door and stick into a wall

didn't drive it home = stuck out like a sore thumb

left the crime seen in perfect order to judge where it came from

BOSSMAN ... Not Happy

wasn't happy when brakes went out on HYSTER over a weekend (same job) and rolled down into a bunch of Trees

trees won, but it was able to crawl back up the hill with all the mangled (OldSkool High-Reach shit twisted)

that job had units of lumber arriving almost daily

maybe BossMan just grouchy ??

for those no longer needing all the shots ya have left

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mikewof

mikewof
I've got the DX36M.  Maybe I can let her try mine.  They didn't give a shit about kickback back then.

When the Hilti rep came on the jobs to replenish our stock, they would "encourage" us to stock up by throwing in a hammer drill or PA gun.  All I knew is they were expensive but when I heard the hardware guy quote her, I thought that was cheap.  HD sells the DX 5 for $1600.
Yeah, the Wire is now a pretty old show. Each time I watch that clip I think, I should go drop 8 bills for the DX5. But it's now double the price, as you noted, and I don't own a street drug dealership in Baltimore to justify that kind of coin.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
Yeah, the Wire is now a pretty old show. Each time I watch that clip I think, I should go drop 8 bills for the DX5. But it's now double the price, as you noted, and I don't own a street drug dealership in Baltimore to justify that kind of coin.
Become a Republican politician.  It's more lucrative than drug dealing.