Ozee Adventure

Super Anarchist
Represented!

DSCF0354.JPG

Iron Pot

Iron_Pot_2.JPG

tdwombat

Super Anarchist
Seriously envious. When we finally get enough time to get away from Sydney for longer than a few weeks at a time thats where I'm headed. Tassie has to be one of the great undiscovered (relatively speaking) cruising grounds on this planet.

You sailed from Hobart I presume ? Heading north by the looks of it. Do you / Did you stop in Wineglass ?

Keep posting the updates please.

Oh yes...and enjoy.

ps - funnily enough while I presumed from the moniker that you are Australian I thought you were in the Americas and going for a cruise there. Or am I still confused ?

Last edited by a moderator:

palindrome

Super Anarchist
Seriously envious. When we finally get enough time to get away from Sydney for longer than a few weeks at a time thats where I'm headed. Tassie has to be one of the great undiscovered (relatively speaking) cruising grounds on this planet.
You sailed from Hobart I presume ? Heading north by the looks of it. Do you / Did you stop in Wineglass ?

Oh yes...and enjoy.

ps - funnily enough while I presumed from the moniker that you are Australian I thought you were in the Americas and going for a cruise there. Or am I still confused ?

Hobart is one of my favorite towns, any place that has a path called Nanny Goat lane has to be OK. The path was straight up a great Jesus hill dam near blew a gasket walking up it. But make sure you smear your self with +50 sunscreen never been burnt so fast in my life.

Pal

tdwombat

Super Anarchist

Oh yes...and enjoy.

Hobart is one of my favorite towns, any place that has a path called Nanny Goat lane has to be OK. The path was straight up a great Jesus hill dam near blew a gasket walking up it. But make sure you smear your self with +50 sunscreen never been burnt so fast in my life.

Pal
Fabulous place. Yeppers re the sunscreen......last time we were down there we hired a convertable......hmmmm.......perhaps not next time....

Did you know that apparently Tasmania has the highest number of second book stores per head of population of any place on the planet ? Not too mention great beer, fabulous food and a population of less than 1/4 million in a harbourside city. What's not to like. OK so its not a tropical climate but in reality its a pretty mild climate overall. Put it this way , it's not so cold you need to pull you boat out of water every winter.

Ozee Adventure

Super Anarchist
Chinamans__Oyster__Bay.JPG

12/2/09 Port Arthur-Maria Island

Yes I'm an Aussie accordingg to a piece of paper - I'm imported from Uk via Saudi

Smoother run today didn't loose my lunch! Av 24 knots with 1-2 metre sea.

We went around the outside of Tasman as none of us had done the inside before - the locals went thru the gap tho. Some spectacular but scary looking lee shores!

Discovered the practical joy of wearing thin thermal gloves under the washing up gloves - water proof & you can work in them - I'm sure I read that on Anarchy!

Have had the camera banned when I'm on helm so we don't have any Asian Diplomatic incidents (Chinese Gybe) when I get excited about something! Means I can't show you the seals!

More dolphins today playing under he bow at speed - I could actually hear them which I don't remember happening before - once I realised what it was I'm sure I actually heard them when I was IN the boat.

The bay looks tropical but the water temp is only 14 degrees!

Thoughts fleece neck rolls are a very good thing - metal earrings get quite cold!

Coming out of Chinamans pristine water can see everything on the bottom in 6.6m of water :eek:

Ozee Adventure

Super Anarchist
Reading.JPG Crocketts_Bay.JPG

3/2/09 Oyster Bay to Schouten Island

No wind - motor sailed this short trip. In by lunch time & blew up new tender. Onto the beach for a walk - some swam - water temp 16! Again pristine waters - can see the bottom at 14 meters - amazing!

Started the book for the hols - head in a PD James, my Longditude book has been taken already. The boys did fry pan jaffles for lunch which were pretty good - they have been playing up that the menu is decidedly healthy & they will be loosing weight!

Sqid fishing in progress

WunHungLo

Super Anarchist
PNW
View attachment 100739 View attachment 100737 3/2/09 Oyster Bay to Schouten Island

No wind - motor sailed this short trip. In by lunch time & blew up new tender. Onto the beach for a walk - some swam - water temp 16! Again pristine waters - can see the bottom at 14 meters - amazing!

Started the book for the hols - head in a PD James, my Longditude book has been taken already. The boys did fry pan jaffles for lunch which were pretty good - they have been playing up that the menu is decidedly healthy & they will be loosing weight!

Squid fishing in progress
I was amazed at how shallow that whole coastline is up the east side. we anchored one night in Crocketts Bay with a few Syd Hob boats going back, along with the Race Communications trawler and a Police boat. We were all in the lee of the island while it blew like stink with horizontal rain. Almost the entire fleet of boats in the bay were yawing around and dragged their anchors. Needless to say we had the stand watches that night to make sure we weren't clobbered by someone.

Isn't that entire coastline incredible? Wine Glass bay on the port side as you get towards the beach is a great anchorage with a welcoming pod of dolphins. I think I took at least 100 pics in Port Arthur alone.

We took the short cut inside Tasman Island with Berrimilla ( :( ) that 4 days later lost it's rig when it was rolled in the Bass Strait. Here's some pics of her leaping over some short and nasty standing waves in there (wind against current). There's quite a current running. Outside is certainly more peaceful.

Berri_Tasman_Island1.jpg Berri_Tasman_Island2.jpg Berri_Tasman_Island.jpg Berri_Tasman_Island_launched.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozee Adventure

Super Anarchist
Fleet___BBQ.JPG waiting_for_the_BBQ__s.JPG Invasion_of_the_fleet.JPG

Stayed at the island anther day - out & about for walks on the beach (hand in hand on Valentines day!!!).

Cooked up some soup as a just-in-case fast meal as we head for at least one long day.

Ironing out little things on the boat... motor wouldn't start on batt 1 alone so we've narrowed it down to leaving the fridge on unintentionally or we have now used the motor enough to raise the charge level held (I'm sure there is a boys terminology for that); taken the fine tuner off the main sheet.

I have under guestimated the amount of metho I'm using to cook the big meals & we have some more now, I also under guessed the amount of bread we would use. No biggy I'll just adjust Other boats have just ice for refrigeration & have had bread go mouldy in the 3 days we've been out

All of the fleet met on Bryant's/Passage Beach for a BBQ in the evening - 4 boats are carrying big BBQ's & gas the rest was BYO & take your turn

Boats that are with us include:

Farr 40 IOR

Salar 40 x 3

Adams 12

Converted Cray Boat 9.6m

Nordhavn 55

Adams Radford 17.3m

Motor catamaran 13m

Van de Stadt Orca/Dehler/Agari

Most boats are from Tas with Qld/WA/NSW represented & New Zealand (Hallberg Rassey 382) & the states (Custom Avatar 52) have a boat in too.

Just off Bicheno - with next G coverage

Ozee Adventure

Super Anarchist
Aussie_Coastal_Bush.JPG The_Nuggets.JPG

Shouten Passage - Binnalong Bay

65nm

Today I learned that if you stand on the remote for the auto-pilot you get an auto gybe! The main sheet came over at speed & under load & took out one of the lids to a fuel tank!

Restaurant booking tonight - the boys turned down my beef & beer casserole for that! (Agansa).

Spectacular scenery including "The Nuggets" & Aussie Coastal Bush

Ravac

Great pics Ozee, thanks for sharing. This is the second time this week I've seen pics of the "organ pipes" of Tasman Island and gotta admit they're spectacular. They remind me of the Giant's Causeway in Ireland. Someday I hope to see both in person, from sea.

LeKa

Super Anarchist
Yep, 2nd that Ozee, keep the pics coming when you can.

Have sailed that way a few times and you are right Ravac, the entry into Storm Bay with the Organ Pipes, Tasman Island and the rugged coastline is pretty spectacular.

Have to wonder what the convicts thought as they sailed into Port Arthur, would have been pretty horrific I would think.