Class 30 April 2021 to now

pironiero

Anarchist
Do you guys think that OD 30-32ft class is the way to go or its better to have BOX rule for same sizes?

IMO box rule is better cus it allows to develop hull making tech and shapes and stuff

on the other hand OD ensures that everyone have same instruments for the race and that the most skilled sailor wins, thats cool as well but personally i think that we have enough OD classes for sailors to show of their capabilities and not enough development in hull technology

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
As a sailor I'd like to see a carbon rig, as a boat owner I'd like to see an alu rig  :lol: :lol:
Having priced up all of this recently for a similarly-sized boat, it's realistically a £10-15k additional cost on a £200k finished boat cost. Alu is not cheap enough to make it a worthwhile area of savings. You'd make greater lifetime cost savings by mandating Dacron mains...

UK
I'm really interested to see how this develops. I had a Cork 1720 and this would have been a very natural progression after that. For me, an aluminium rig is not an issue but I'm only really likely to be a club sailor, I've not got GP ambitions.

Cheers 

Andrew 

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Having priced up all of this recently for a similarly-sized boat, it's realistically a £10-15k additional cost on a £200k finished boat cost. Alu is not cheap enough to make it a worthwhile area of savings. You'd make greater lifetime cost savings by mandating Dacron mains...
Original comment was firmly tongue in cheek, but thats still 5-7.5% of the cost, and is a jib and a main at least in terms of sail away price. Plus as much as I love carbon sticks they do need finishing / painting and that does need maintaining over the life of the boat, plus any metal fittings carry a corrosion risk which in my mind is higher than that of an alu rig.

r.finn

Super Anarchist
Someone recently argued in another thread that a carbon mast should have better longevity than alu.
Not sure about better, but as Solo mentioned, aluminum masts have plenty of problems with dissimilar metals.  Titanium is not super expensive right now and better than stainless for corrosion, and there are many ways to isolate stainless steel. The biggest difference between the two is mainsail luff attachment.  Carbon luff tracks definitely have a history of being more problematic.  Also, don't clear coat them.  Prime and paint makes a happier owner.  Fine, there are some issues.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
I do think carbon is generally a better choice, but like everything there are trade offs, and I think, rightly or wrongly, that aluminium rigs are easier for amateurs to look after, and they are certainly cheaper.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
 Also, don't clear coat them.  Prime and paint makes a happier owner.
100% this. Although the clear coat weave look is kinda cool for the first few seasons, when it's peeling from UV you'll wish you painted it.

Delta Dog

Nor Cal
100% this. Although the clear coat weave look is kinda cool for the first few seasons, when it's peeling from UV you'll wish you painted it.
Put your "I need to show the world my mast is carbon" ego back in the box and paint that stick white.   It will last a decade.  

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
I'm lost how this has a remote chance of succeeding, particularly in the UK.  You've got a successful Cape 31 and SunFast 3300 situation already well established and growing in the UK.  What could a Class 30 possibly offer that one of those two aren't already providing?  Both with carbon rigs, FWIW.  

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
I'm lost how this has a remote chance of succeeding, particularly in the UK.  You've got a successful Cape 31 and SunFast 3300 situation already well established and growing in the UK.  What could a Class 30 possibly offer that one of those two aren't already providing?  Both with carbon rigs, FWIW.  
My sense is that this is really a French project with RORC tagging along. They must be confident that there is sufficient interest from French clubs to have got to this stage. It would be pretty cool if RORC (or RTYC / RSrn / RYS of course) bought one or two though, as there is no shortage of people in the UK wanting to race DH but unable to get on a boat. Clubs have managed it with J/70s / J/80s / Grand Surprises in the past.

I agree with you that, from a private owner's perspective, buying one of these "off plan" to race IRC when the SF3300 is a proven proposition would be a brave decision, even if you did save £50k in upfront capital cost.

Latest posts